S-I-L-V-E-R on BOC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My eyes are bleeding from reading so much here so I will ask for help.
Can S-I-L-V-E-R be used on painted (primed) BOC?
Primed with Kilz2 or maybe UPW latex?

If I go with TWH I have seen some threads that say spray away, others that say sand to remove the gloss.
What's the latest with that?

thanks,
td
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

My eyes are bleeding from reading so much here so I will ask for help.
Can S-I-L-V-E-R be used on painted (primed) BOC?
Primed with Kilz2 or maybe UPW latex?

If you already have a BOC surface that is "raw", the spray prime it with Kilz2. But doing so requires at least 3 coats, with light sanding after the first / second / third coats. Then a close inspection and a light duster final coat if necessary / desired. The surface must be completely free of defects, bumps, or irregularly covered areas.
Quote:
If I go with TWH I have seen some threads that say spray away, others that say sand to remove the gloss.
What's the latest with that?

thanks,
td

It can be done if done very cautiously, because the non=primed surface of the TWH is slick...so the first Duster of S-I-L-V-E-R must be a very light, very quickly applied Duster so as to pepper the surface with Dots to act as "teeth" to hold on to subsequent applied Duster coats.

It is my opinion that when using S-I-L-V-E-R as opposed to Silver Fire, priming TWH is preferred so that three light sprayed coats of primer lightly sanded assure perfect paint adhesion on a perfect surface. Use Glidden Gripper Primer for this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks 10e6 MM.
I did a test and really like what I am seeing.

Some threads here mention beer.
I'm still unclear about the whole beer thing. Is beer to be consumed between dusters or at the end of the day?
Will beer cause me to lose control of my Wagner?
Should I drink ambient Lite beer since I can not completely darken my room in the daytime?
Will a dark beer provide more shadow detail? I would think Shiner Bock would give brighter whites and deep shadows.
Should I wait to paint until the weather warms up to beer drinking temperatures? smile.gif

thanks,
Thirsty in Tucson
post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Over here is ALWAYS beer drinking temperature...

Shiner Blond is calling smile.gif

Just as control over the spryer is recommended and required for a great looking screen... control drinking is also recommended and required to fully enjoy a cold one!!!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

Thanks 10e6 MM.
I did a test and really like what I am seeing.

Some threads here mention beer.

Far too few, actually.
Quote:
I'm still unclear about the whole beer thing. Is beer to be consumed between dusters or at the end of the day?

Ample pre-liquidification is advised to promote a willingness to initiate action.

Consumption between coats (...the amount thereof...) is wholly dependent upon the required time for the screen to Dry. The initial Duster coats (1 & 2) usually allow for just a single 12 oz. quaff. Successive coats, taking longer to dry, allow for a more through wetting. (2 minimum)
Quote:
Will beer cause me to lose control of my Wagner?

If one but maintains a firm grasp on his tool, he should manage to get the job done. It's the direction you spray that must be taken into consideration.
Even so, over consumption of alcohol has been proven to be detrimental to performance to many...while being a decided asset to others.
Quote:
Should I drink ambient Lite beer since I can not completely darken my room in the daytime?

Consumption of sub-par Brands can lead to unsatisfactory results. And it is always good to remember, the lighter the Room, the darker the brew.
Quote:
Will a dark beer provide more shadow detail?

If it is Guinness Stout, things might actually go dark sooner than expected.
Quote:
I would think Shiner Bock would give brighter whites and deep shadows.

No....mostly just a bad headache that prevents one from looking at bright objects, and leaves one with deep shadows under the eyes.
Quote:
Should I wait to paint until the weather warms up to beer drinking temperatures? smile.gif

Only if you cannot effectively crank up the heat indoors to "get nekked" levels and squirt in a sub-tropical invironment.
Quote:
thanks,
Thirsty in Tucson

Don't *burp* mention it.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM
I was doing the blow---er I mean squirting job outside but now the rains have come.
I did however get full control of my Wagner by using two hands as shown in your video. It is
also my understanding that I should squeeze my Wagner to the max and control the flow based on how fast I move.
This is not a problem since my Wagner is much longer than the "no name" hose.
I have found no info on the turbine settings for S-I-L-V-E-R application. Should it be set for max or min blowing?
Anyway this HVLP stuff sure beats my old vibrating Wagner.

The sad part is I zoomed out my PJ and the extra 10-12 inches is enticing, especially for 3D. Stupid Potato Cod.
May have to start over with a larger backing. That's the trouble with pixel envy.

td
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
yeah... that's the problem with 3D... it's MEANT to be immersive... so the bigger the better.

problem with those little sets/setups... is that i feel like 35 years ago... when i was a kid... only, watching
a motion version of 3D view-master in a shoe box

it's feels most real when the edges of the screen are nearly past my peripheral vision. biggrin.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

yeah... that's the problem with 3D... it's MEANT to be immersive... so the bigger the better.

problem with those little sets/setups... is that i feel like 35 years ago... when i was a kid... only, watching
a motion version of 3D view-master in a shoe box

it's feels most real when the edges of the screen are nearly past my peripheral vision. biggrin.gif

I also move in close for 3D in an attempt to eliminate the screen edges. Too many 3D films "break the frame" with their pop out gimmicks, and the effect is lost if you can see the screen edge.
Messes with my eye-brain thing. Even without beer. smile.gif

A few more tests are in order, but I'm really leaning towards bigger. I'm not worried about light so much as I believe one watches movies in the dark (old school). At least until OSHA invades my living room.

A side thought: Do you think there are more screens with curtains in home theaters than in "real" theaters now days?
td
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page