questions on LF screen materials - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all ive been projecting for years now and have tried a reasonable few different paint mixes all with great success but my old epson projector just died ihave just grabbed the new epson 5020ub and i would love to try my hand at building the light fusion screen, it seems absolutely ridiculous i love it. although lt has been around for a while now info is still hard to find and usually tucked away in other peoples replies not topics, or maybe im blind lol.

anyways my questions for now are

1. my brother is a glass installer for 15yrs he cannot get the mirror sheets above 4x8 where we live in canada unless i order a block(10 to 15 sheets) ( ya right too much money) anyways he asked me why not put them together I said the obvious seam would be in the center screen he on the other hand is not completely convinced says he can hide seams very well, I am wondering if anyone has tried with a sample piece or just knows what the seam will do after top coats are painted. my main concern would be viewing angle i think it would stand out from a side view, any thoughts?

2. also i read that I could use non mirror acrylic and just paint a SM mix on the back is this true , seems like some work but is it much different than actuall mirror. if not i can easily get the sizes i want in that

3. are there any other materials that can be used in place of plexi/mirror as i can get glass mirror but i assume its not as clear or something.

any info is good info thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
basically what you need is to create a plexi-mylar-hard-backing sandwich.
easier said than done.
while it's easy enough to adhere the sides of the sandwich...
with such a large surface... it's just as easy for the center of the plexi to bow out.
you would have to find a adhesion material/product clear enough that could adhere the back side of the plexi to the front side of the mylar without severely reducing the reflectivity of the mylar at the adhesion points, once it's sandwiched together.
if you could accomplish this... say... every 2ft across in no more than 1" vertical strip (of adhesive)... you may able to pull it off.
...and do so without seeing the visible seams of adhesive.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 11
One of the cheapest sollutions could be to get mirror wrap from a car wrap company as I did for a screen in my sons room. This would of course be direct surface light fusion and can be added to any wall. The wall needs to be perfectly flat to get a good result.

When spraying it's only duster coatings that apply. You'll have to test the screen after the fifth duster have dried and look for hot spotting. I ended up with 8 or 9 duster coatings before it met my quality demands without hot spotting.

Good luck on your screen. wink.gif
post #4 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

sadly most people can't apply that without a ton of air bubbles and pockets... mad.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM

Well actually it's nothing to it. You only need to spray the wall and the adhesive side with water and start to apply the screen from the middel, work your way up, and then do the lower part. I used a rubber spatula with welvet to apply it and force all the water out.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

how big/wide can you get a roll of that?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

interesting so a mylar mix seems to be the dominate idea here and i am looking into those materials aswell tho i think it might be a sob to make a mylar sandwich lol it does seem promising but i am wondering why no one is using plain old mirror? is it because of the weight or its break-ability? or something else? just wondering lol and why not paint one side of a plexi sheet with silver or i was looking at krylon "glass mirror like paint" its called maybe spray on one side of that, I might hit my home hardware tomorrow and pick up a can to see it in action.

my bro gave me a decent sample piece of the plexi mirror we are going to fiddle with the seams and whatnot over the next few days when time is available to see if it is a viable option, anyways keep up the debate guys its the only way lol seriously tho thanks guys

also how do white fusion screens compare to the standard LF screen??
post #8 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

how big/wide can you get a roll of that?

The one I got from a local vendor was 122 cm wide and I did see some online vendors sell 154 cm wide. (Moahaha, just hit post #100 biggrin.gif)
post #9 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

ok after much more reading I found a thread that says you can use any 1/8" thick mirror but again I get stuck within the confines of a 4x8ft screen as 1/8" is very thin

now im only trying to get to 5x9ft not a big difference but a big difference right

I read 1/4" is too thick to use but I can get my hands on 3/16" glass in extra large size all day long , does anyone think there would be an issue to use that thickness??
post #10 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronick View Post

ok after much more reading I found a thread that says you can use any 1/8" thick mirror but again I get stuck within the confines of a 4x8ft screen as 1/8" is very thin

now im only trying to get to 5x9ft not a big difference but a big difference right

I read 1/4" is too thick to use but I can get my hands on 3/16" glass in extra large size all day long , does anyone think there would be an issue to use that thickness??

Absolutely not. In fact, it is the larger sizes, and the usual resultant increase in viewing distance that makes the concern over using a Mirror up to 1/4' thick a lessor concern. Weight is still a problem at that thickness though.

A 3/16th" Mirror would be good to go in any size as far as I'm concerned.

But wadda I know frum nuthin'. tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #11 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

That's wonderful news, especially coming from MM himself and so ill be going with that size then.

now onto the paint mix so far I have only seen missippimud and silver fire used are those the only two paint mixes being used for light fusion? I have been s cowering missippiman's thread starts and searching here and google but have seen no mention of other paints that can be used but either way is there any reason to use one over the other?
post #12 of 12 Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

well just to update anyone who might be interested, after a wonderful talk with mm I have decided to use my 5mm glass mirror and use a silver fire 2.0 paint mix. To make my screen "portable" for when I move in a year or so I will be using a Sintra board that will be a few inches lager than the mirror on each side and just screw directly into studs around the mirror. then hide it all with trim and velvet. seems like a great idea to me.

I have tracked down the sintra at my local plastics retail shop its very cheap a 60x120x6 is about $50 each sheet Not a bad deal! ( I am wondering though if I can put two sheets together above and below, cut appropriately Then I could get a slightly bigger mirror say 5 1/2 x 9 1/2, I know its only a few inches but every inch matters to me)
to anyone interested where Im getting the Sintra from its:

em plastics in windsor ontario canada
also
fast signs is willing to custom size aswell but im unsure on price ATM

now im tracking down the paints is the rustoleum only available in USA does anyone know of anywhere in canada to get it? otherwise I will have to road trip to menards I just hate boarder crossing its always a pain lol.

Edit : let me correct the pricing as I don't know where the lady at em plastics got the quote from yesterday upon calling today it is $90 for a 60x120x6mm sheet and $40 for 3mm
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page