Acoustic Transparency of Spandex - The Truth - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 256 Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
After I calibrate the projector, I can do some of what you recommended. My room is so small, the farthest back I can stand is ~1.5x the screen width. eek.gif

Also, I had to use my iPhone because my batteries were dead in my digital camera...

As to gain changes with the black backing, I noticed no differences in overall gain with or without the backing. I did, however, see significant improvements in contrast due to the better blacks from the absence of reflected light from the furnishings behind the screen.

Ultimately I'll post a short build thread with more screenies. Is there a thread where screen shot technique is discussed in detail? I just chose the same frames and "perceived" method used by Art Feierman at ProjectorReviews.com for what I thought was a more universal comparison standard.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 256 Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I wouldn't go too crazy on the screenshots.

Enjoy what you have. Watch some movies wink.gif
post #243 of 256 Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So... I have the silver moleskin over a basic black. Been viewing on it for about a year with it lazily hung on two nails in front of my old SILVER screen. Last weekend I finally got ambitious and ripped out the old screen wall, right down to the studs and built a new screen wall with room for my speakers behind. I'm at the point where the screen is temporarily in place. Watched a few scenes from some favorite flicks and I have sound from the screen. That to me is AT-enough... but I can't help but wonder if I can do better pic and sound wise. I was considering ordering some white spandex and replacing the black to brighten things up a tad, but now I find Milliskin has taken over as "the fabric". At $9/yd I could just do it, but... What do you guys figure:

1) pick up Milliskin Silver and Milliskin white
2) leave the moleskin alone and put some white behind it instead of the black
3) just go watch some movies

I was also considering getting some Mellotone speaker cloth from Parts Express to use on the rest of the wall since my speakers are in that wall too. Damn pricey tho. What if I just used the Black Milliskin from Spandex World? Someone else also asked about the stretch velvet from SW http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/677. Thought about that for the frame around the screen. Thoughts?

117" screen, Epson 8350 throwing 12 feet

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #244 of 256 Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I would recommend sticking to Spandex throughout. A Black Milliskin on the surrounding walls would serve a dual purpose, both concealing the Front Speakers and working as a black void wall surrounding the Screen.

Either White or Light Silver Milliskin will give you a smoother looking image than the Moleskin....at least marginally. The real advantage lies in the better acoustic properties of the Milliskin over the Moleskin, especially when a dual layer is employed. I personally prefer White over Silver...some like a Black rear layer for even more greater contrast off a White Top Layer.

But with a dedicated room, I would always suggest a White top layer with a darker underlay.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #245 of 256 Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Perfect. Gonna pull the trigger on Milliskin Matte silver and white, and black for all around. Also going to get some velvet... all from Spandex World. Probably put silver over white as I've had silver screens for years and though I have a dedicated room, it's not always 100% dark. We watch a lot of football over the summer with a large group and need to have a wee bit of ambient light tolerance. I hope a single layer of black will be sufficient (i.e. not visually transparent) for the rest of the wall. Guess I'll find out! :-)

As always, thank-you MM for the experienced guidance. You've never led me astray!

post #246 of 256 Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I'd agree with MM there. I've had both in my hands and lit up by my PJ. Hands down the milleskin is a nicer spandex.
post #247 of 256 Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Ordered! One question: Are folks washing the fabric prior to use? I didn't with the Moleskin and probably won't with the new stuff unless there's a compelling reason to do so.

post #248 of 256 Old 04-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Liked: 23
Not washing before use unless the material is marked or stained.
post #249 of 256 Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Uh oh ... Tux will need to measure acoustic transparency pre-wash and post-wash! wink.gif
handsaw likes this.
post #250 of 256 Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Ha, I don't think so biggrin.gif
post #251 of 256 Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

What's the depth from your back wall to your false wall? I'm trying to see how much room I need for one as I have a window in the way on one side.
post #252 of 256 Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar View Post

What's the depth from your back wall to your false wall?
I'm at 13 inches from the studs on the back wall to the front of the screen wall. Arrived at that value because my speakers are 10.5 inches deep and I wanted to be able to toe in the L/R a bit.

post #253 of 256 Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

But with a dedicated room, I would always suggest a White top layer with a darker underlay.

I have a closed concept living room that is 13x18 with an 8 foot ceiling.  It has one 6x4 window facing north that lets in some ambient light.  I don't think I would want to go dark and pull the blackout curtains every time I want to watch something unless it was a movie.  If I decided to go with a Panny8000 and the white matte and silver matte milliskin on a 120 inch screen, would I go silver top layer and white underlay?  Or does the Panasonic have enough to pull off the white top layer in a non-dedicated theater room?  Thanks for your time.

post #254 of 256 Old 05-02-2014, 08:20 AM

Liked: 23
If you are watching much of the time during the day I would go with silver over white. If you mount the Panny at 12 feet to 12 1/2 feet from the screen you should have sufficient brightness with the Panny to have a very watchable picture.
post #255 of 256 Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Got my new screen wall completed. Nothing but spandex baby! I'll get some pictures up later. So far it's pretty damn great. Still don't love dark scenes and dark movies but projecting darkness is always a challenge unless you've got lotsa bucks to burn. Even then.... Animation kicks ass as always and sports look spectacular. Very happy I went this route.

One funny note, my screen looks smaller now. It is in fact 1 inch smaller @ 117", but even my kids commented "Dad, why does it look smaller?" Damn kids! tongue.gif

post #256 of 256 Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34

Prove it with a pic! ;)

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page