I think my question is simple..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered an ACER H5360. For the time being, I am just going to have to paint my wall for the screen. Right now the wall is painted black, and has "Orange peel" texture.

If it matters, I will have total light control. The side walls are a "Mocha" color, and the ceiling is still white. It will be mostly used for movies, 3D movies and sports. No television watching.

My question is, which brand/color paint would you guys recommend? And is the orange peel texture a problem? Pretty stoked to have my first annual super bowl party!

Thank you for your input!

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
If you want to keep it simple, I would go with:

1. CIL Snow Field - if you want bright
2. CIL Neutral Grey - if you want better blacks

I would sand down the area you want to paint to get rid of the texture - you do want it as flat as possible.

If you can get a sprayer (Wagner Control Spray Plus, as an example) or can borrow one, it will be very helpful.

Get some 3.5" flat baseboard molding, wrap it in velvet and frame your screen. Your "for the time being" screen may just end up being great enough for you to not feel the need to upgrade. And it will be cheap as chips.

post #3 of 26 Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

I did not know you wanted it as smooth as possible. I actually thought some very subtle texture was best. Shows what I know. I am having a hard time with understanding how to wrap the border with velvet and make it look good. I have done a lot of reading here, but have to do much more research so I can have a decent looking screen by Sunday.
post #4 of 26 Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post

I did not know you wanted it as smooth as possible. I actually thought some very subtle texture was best. Shows what I know. I am having a hard time with understanding how to wrap the border with velvet and make it look good. I have done a lot of reading here, but have to do much more research so I can have a decent looking screen by Sunday.

Absolutely smooth as possible.

Super bowl, eh? Sound like your gonna have to roll it...and GET ROLLING!

How to for Wrapping Black VelvetL http://www.avsforum.com/t/865218/wrapping-black-velvet-on-trim-with-mitered-or-butt-joined-ends

Screen:

Home Depot close? Go find a 4' x 8' x 1/8" sheet of "Thrifty White Hardboard" Pic out a clean sheet...no smudges or rub marks on the White side.
Also get:;

1 Gallon of Behr PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Flat Enamel #1850 "BASE"
For a N8.5 Gray ask for them to tint it with:

Gallon Custom Tint
192 Lamp Black
043 Brown Oxide
019 Medium Yellow

Rolling Instructions (read them !)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/929997/beginners-guide-to-simple-diy-painted-screens#post_12089330

We / you can do this, and get it right the first time if you just really want to.

If your desired Screen size is greater than 98" diagonal, Sintra / Komatex is the answer. If so, relate where you live and I'll locate a source.

Hey....this is my 12,000 th Post.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 26 Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Holy crap!! I really appreciate the info (Both of you). I am 15 minutes from a Home Depot, or a Lowes. I will read your links now. Again, thank you for the help!!
post #6 of 26 Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

And I was figuring on a screen size right around 96". Going to mount the PJ and figure out the exact screen size from there.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's what I did (and subsequently helped my friend do):

1. Mount the projector
2. Turn on said projector to a blue screen and determine the size you want
3. Ensure that the picture is perfectly square and level
4. Use wide painter's tape to tape around the screen (let the projector image be your guide)
5. Spray or roll whatever paint you choose based on suggestions
6. Remove painter's tape
7. Install flat baseboard molding

If you are really in a pinch time-wise, you can paint the baseboard molding a flat black, then later go with an adhesive-backed velvet (below is just an example):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Black-Velvet-Border-Tape-projection-screen-material-/120652824615

Hope that helps and best of luck!

MM - 12000 posts? eek.gif

post #8 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Here's what I did (and subsequently helped my friend do):

1. Mount the projector
2. Turn on said projector to a blue screen and determine the size you want
3. Ensure that the picture is perfectly square and level
4. Use wide painter's tape to tape around the screen (let the projector image be your guide)
5. Spray or roll whatever paint you choose based on suggestions
6. Remove painter's tape
7. Install flat baseboard molding

If you are really in a pinch time-wise, you can paint the baseboard molding a flat black, then later go with an adhesive-backed velvet (below is just an example):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Black-Velvet-Border-Tape-projection-screen-material-/120652824615

Hope that helps and best of luck!

MM - 12000 posts? eek.gif

Great advice. My PJ is scheduled to arrive Friday. I will have all the supplies I need and that gives me basically Friday night and Saturday to get as close to great as I can. Not sure on paint drying and how many coats it needs yet. Thank you for the help!
post #9 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

PJ arrived!! I have 2 1/4" base for the trim. Got the 4x8' sheet of whatever it is, lol. Now need to get fabrick and paint. The sheet that I have has a shiny gloss to it. I hope the paint sticks......
post #10 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

No problem. I hope it works out for you. There's a product called Floetrol that will help to reduce the chance of roller marks, as well as help the flow if you are using a sprayer. Follow the directions accordingly. Let us know how it works out for you and throw up some screenshots when you get a chance!

post #11 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Absolutely smooth as possible.

Super bowl, eh? Sound like your gonna have to roll it...and GET ROLLING!

How to for Wrapping Black VelvetL http://www.avsforum.com/t/865218/wrapping-black-velvet-on-trim-with-mitered-or-butt-joined-ends

Screen:

Home Depot close? Go find a 4' x 8' x 1/8" sheet of "Thrifty White Hardboard" Pic out a clean sheet...no smudges or rub marks on the White side.
Also get:;
1 Gallon of Behr PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Flat Enamel #1850 "BASE"
For a N8.5 Gray ask for them to tint it with:

Gallon Custom Tint
192 Lamp Black
043 Brown Oxide
019 Medium Yellow

Hey....this is my 12,000 th Post.

I've got my "screen" secured to the wall. I left it 2 1/4" larger all the way around to fit the base trim when I'm ready. I have to paint the screen now (painting it while it's on the wall).......What is N8.5 Gray? And are you saying add a gallon of custom tint to the gallon of BEHR Premium plus, or are they the same gallon? I'm sorry, this is all very new to me, so I just need to make sure I know what to ask for tomorrow when I run to home Depot. Thank You.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

The figures are for 100ths of an ounce into 1 Gallon of Base.

If it was a Quart of paint that was being made, it would read "One Quart Custom Tint".

N8.5 (Munsell Scale) refers to the shade of Gray (8.5) and it being Neutral (N)

It could not hurt for you to learn a bit more. But no matter what, we have your back. We might have to dust it off for you...but we got it.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #13 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The figures are for 100ths of an ounce into 1 Gallon of Base.

If it was a Quart of paint that was being made, it would read "One Quart Custom Tint".

N8.5 (Munsell Scale) refers to the shade of Gray (8.5) and it being Neutral (N)

It could not hurt for you to learn a bit more. But no matter what, we have your back. We might have to dust it off for you...but we got it

AAAhahaha! This is awesome smile.gif

I learn every day here......and still know very little tongue.gif

Well, I will be doing the painting tonight. And hopefully get the trim on tomorrow and have a clear pic. Right now it looks like crap, I am pretty sure it's due to the glossy finish on the screen.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

OK. Picked up and had them mix the exact mixture MM suggested. Have the first coat on, it is drying and I can see my roller marks (Did not use floetrol), and it has very little spots where it looks like it didn't get paint. I am hoping this is normal and goes away when the next coats are applied.

I am nervous about doing the wrapping of the base trim and making it look good tomorrow. I feel very rushed getting things ready. Between Adults and children, we are expecting about 45 people. I will be posting pics of the screen with the game on it, and some pics of the party goers smile.gif
post #15 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't sweat it, man. Your partygoers will probably be too inebriated (read: if you're worried, give them more booze!) to notice whether or not you have roller marks on your screen. That said, you probably won't notice roller marks on your second and third coat. And if you do, it is doubtful you will notice it once your projector is fired up. Have fun and let the good times roll!

post #16 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Don't sweat it, man. Your partygoers will probably be too inebriated (read: if you're worried, give them more booze!) to notice whether or not you have roller marks on your screen. That said, you probably won't notice roller marks on your second and third coat. And if you do, it is doubtful you will notice it once your projector is fired up. Have fun and let the good times roll!

Thank you! I have done a second coat and once dry, it all has gone away! Not sure how many coats I am supposed to do?

I have decided at least for now, that I am just going to run my base trim around the screen like my trim around the windows. It is stained a dark brown, and will at least look nice. (I will post pics of that too). I am not sure what effect it will have on the picture, but I do know that it will look awesome regardless. I have the PJ mounted and throwing onto my black wall and the pic is not that bad at all, lol.

I really appreciate you and MM's support. Can't wait to get some pics up
post #17 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Usually, to achieve the best possible finish, it is best to lightly sand the 2nd coat with a Fine Grit Sanding sponge, then apply the last (3rd) coat lightly using a 3/16" Nap Lint Free Roller of "Best" quality

The real key to avoiding roller marks at that stage is to always maintain a wet edge and do not over work / roll back and forth over the paint. Too much working the edge, and using too much pressure is the downfall of many who roll.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #18 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I am concerned with the lack of brightness with this PJ. Is it because of the grey screen? I had heard that is was almost plasma bright, but I have to have it completely black in the room just to get a nice picture. Very far from being very bright. Will I just have to try a different color screen? That is easy enough, I am just hoping that is all I need to do.

Another thing, I suck at calibrating, I have done it over and over and can't seem to get great color.......I will keep messing with it.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I am concerned with the lack of brightness with this PJ. Is it because of the grey screen? I had heard that is was almost plasma bright, but I have to have it completely black in the room just to get a nice picture. Very far from being very bright. Will I just have to try a different color screen? That is easy enough, I am just hoping that is all I need to do.

Another thing, I suck at calibrating, I have done it over and over and can't seem to get great color.......I will keep messing with it.

Odd fur shur. Barring you not having the PJ setup correctly, there are only a few reasons for having a dim picture

2500 Lumens in Normal Lamp mode w/a 96" diagonal screen should be quite sufficient, nay...almost excessively bright, for the shade / depth of Gray you have. Or not.... confused.gif Take a picture of the screen in bright, normal light (...but non-direct...). I'd like to see how dark of a Gray they mixed up for you. Check your Lamp Mode. If the PJ seems "dim" to a fault, far dimmer than you were expecting, it probably is. Use it tomorrow, and see if things change, but minimize hours used, and on Monday call & explain and request an exchange.....at minimum.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #20 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Could it have anything to do with the HDMI cable? I was about a foot short so I had to get a an extender so I have a 25' cable, and a 3' cable hooked together. The HDMI cable is about 3 yrs old too, not sure if any of this affects brightness.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Could it have anything to do with the HDMI cable? I was about a foot short so I had to get a an extender so I have a 25' cable, and a 3' cable hooked together. The HDMI cable is about 3 yrs old too, not sure if any of this affects brightness.

No.
Sparklies? Yes.
Drop outs or Handshake issues? Yes.
Loss of PJ light output? Once again, no.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #22 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Home Depot said that when they did the tints that they were 3/84ths if that means anything to you. But the screen itself isn't real dark, I think either the PJ is faulty, or I have something wrong in the settings (hoping that is it) however I have not found it yet.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

And the actual setting "brightness" is right around the middle, if I crank that up, the colors wash out. Am I supposed to crank up the brightness and then mess with the other settings to make the PQ look good? Needless to say, I can't have all the lights off for my party tomorrow, lol.

I will say it again, I appreciate all the help.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're using a calibration disc to calibrate, you're going to get a reference level image, which will appear darker than what a lot of people are used to. For the time being, see if your PJ has different modes and, since you're going to be having some ambient light, I would go with the "bright" image preset if your projector has it. Barring that and assuming you have the brightness set to a level you are happy with (ie. you don't want to go any higher), mess around with the gamma settings. It can be tough to eyeball that, but get it to a point where too low will make the image washed out and too high will make the image too dark. You should be able to see good shadow detail without making the image too washed out. Hope that helps.

post #25 of 26 Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

A few things:

Thank you guys for all the advice!!!

BM- There was no "Bright" setting in my "menu", but through a bunch of searching and stress, there was another button on my remote that brought up a few other options and "Bright" was a setting and that made all the difference in the world. I don't think I would have found that in time if you hadn't suggested it!

MM-The color of the screen is awesome. I know that the blacks on this PJ are supposed to be lacking, but either with this paint, or how it is set up, the blacks look awesome IMO. (along with everything else)

My friends and neighbors were blown away!! Even the wives were impressed smile.gif The game looked awesome, we had some lights on in the background and it was still plenty bright.

Again, thank you both for taking the time to respond to all of my questions. You guys deserve alot of praise for the amount of help you give fellow members here. I for one would have been very disappointed with my super bowl party had it not been for you guys.
post #26 of 26 Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well Hooray for the Ravens!

......oh OK. A Big "whoop tee Do" for your Screen too. tongue.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif

It was pretty much a given that the Gray you used would get'ter dun. But that brightness issue had us all scratchin' our heads. Of course the game on TV would be / is a world brighter image-wise than a DVD would be.

In the all in all, just hearing how your SB Party came off as a success, and how envious your Neighbors / Buds are, THAT is everything this Forum represents itself to be and to strive for.
A Place to come to make your Place a Happy Place.

......with a Happy Ending. eek.gif

'Cause iffin' you ain't happy...we ain't happy. smile.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page