A "Different" Methodology for Fixed Screen Construction? Please advise/opine. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
So although I was willing to spend a few (read: $200 or less) on a fixed screen I could simply hang from my ceiling in front of THIS:

...I'm quickly discovering (so it seems, anyway) that fixed screens in this $-range REALLY want to be mounted on a wall to stop the flexing they all seem to endure when the fabric is tensioned (if anyone is aware of an option in this $-range that DOESN'T, please advise smile.gif ).

SO then, I'm reconsidering DIY, but have a "thought" (I'm sure someone has done it before) of an alternative to stretching the fabric over/around a typically constructed wood frame (read rectangle with internal bracing).

Thought: can someone simply construct a frame out of 1x3 (braced), then stretch the fabric across its outer dimension, staple/adhere the fabric, cut off the excess (within the ID of the frame) and simply "sandwich" it (the fabric) between another layer of 1x3?

With adequate clamping and some titebond around the outer edge, seems to me you could form quite a robust, but light, frame/screen.

Further, it appears that this would eliminate all of the sometimes kludgy, sometimes VERY irritating stretching around the frame- especially so at the corners.

I realize this may require a very judicious selection of lumber for the frame (for the sandwich element to work well), but you should really be doing that anyway (my screen is "only" 86" so I'll only have ~ 6 1/2' spans).

Reasonable approach?

thanks!
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
with many equipments, speakers & those huge subwoofers, AT screen is the way to go, that will allow you to go for the largest possible screen size, if you want higher gain, can consider DIY screen paint over the AT screen
post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
You are only considering a Screen hung over the center area, of course? You cannot cover the R & L Mains or Subs without going "Wall to Wall"., and besides that would entail also covering the Equipment. rolleyes.gif So that's not happening.

That said, I can see a Floor-to-Ceiling affair that could be a 2' X 3' CONSTRUCTED panel, with Black Velvet Wrapped lower, upper, and side panels. Wrapping a centered Spandex Screen surface would be an easy do....86" diagonal would also allow you some leeway as far as the lumen required to power onto Light Silver, or White. But you did not mention PJ choice / throw distance, so I cannot really qualify my suggestions...yet.

Lastly, if you use "painted" Thrifty White Hardboard cut to 42" x 75", what with it being just 1/8" in thickness, it's not going to add much weight to the structure, but it would eliminate the need for stretching, concerns about light loss via absorption, and the TWH will in fact add structural strength to what will at best be just a lightweight partition wall.

Beside the PJ chosen and throw distance, relate where in the US you live. There are available a couple "Hang & Shoot" Whiteboard options available that would not require painting onto, yet are also very lightweight.

Personally, I thing a solid black partition wall with a Screen set looking as if it's floating within Black Space would compliment your room's appearance.

I do NOT thing it would have to be a "sandwich" of two layers of 2" x 3"s though. We can explore the actual design further if you like the suggestion of using a "Solid Substrate Screen' center...or want to stick with a lightweight Fabric.

PS...is that a sizable rack of Crown Amps I see there?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the ideas, WW and MM. My goal is to have it hang from the ceiling and simply remove it when it's "regular" tv time. Fantastic WAF and I've already killed the poor lass...just look at the room, lol.

BTWL Yes sir MM, re the Crowns: XLS 1500's for the 11 channel array. All of this is REALLY for a dedicated space in the near future, but I just cannot wait any longer for PJ! biggrin.gif

Ok, first things first:

After taking a good luck (and a tape measure, lol) yesterday, the reality is I can actually pull off a "standard" 92" screen.

Yep, it would be placed in the middle. And no it won't really block much of anything- other than my Kuro of course.

5" from the ceiling (not ideal, but you do what you can do) the bottom would run just above the center channel and driver array of the L and R and about 4" past the outer edge of the L & R. I'm not terribly concerned with the height speakers as they're bipolar (fire out to the L and R, front, actually) and what I get is what I'll get for now. Audio equip and IR's will be ok.

Alright. So we're good in that regard.

Screen? Seeing I can now live without AT, things seem to be much more flexible for my app. To be completely honest, I was/am about an inch away from ordering this and moving on with life: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER92WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B00366MBAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359569953&sr=8-1&keywords=elite+screen+92%22

Opinion? My question/concern (as you'll discover is a bit of a theme, here) is the rigidity of the screen, not being mounted on the wall. I'd really not care to have it flex, mounted in free-air.

I figured after the $ outlay and time spent constructing on the DIY side, $200 is pretty darn reasonable/equitable. Keeping in mind that this particular app has about a 6 month life-span, that's about my limit.

Now, that said, your introduction of a (seemingly) simple sheet of material (forgive my lack of familiarity with TW hardboard) kinda brings me full circle with my initial idea for an outdoor screen that I absolutely planned on being a low budget DIY-affair: cut a screen out of "x" material, paint it, add a finished edge, hang it (I have a trellis outside perfect for the task). Done. Cheap. Likely, very cheap.

Why not just do the same, indoors?

The thought/problem I keep coming back to is finding a material that's lightweight, yet rigid enough to provide for a flat screen...I suppose less than 7' wide for a 92" screen that's less of a concern, though. I'm assuming this TW hardboard you're referring to works quite nicely in either regard. (?)

I seem to have this massive fear of a non-uniform screen that is throwing a wrench into this DIY consideration. It's also why I pretty much threw out any pull-down/motorized screens...it was hard to find ANY under $300 that people weren't complaining about within days, weeks, or months (re screen uniformity).

BTW:

PJ: benq 1070 (pretty darn bright from most accounts)

8' away, 92" image

I'm in SE Wisconsin.

thanks a ton,

James

post #5 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming adhering this thrifty board to some 1 x 3" (as the surround/frame) helps in the rigidity dept? lol . rolleyes.gifwink.gif

Busy day.

I should just get a sheet of sintra, right?

And boy oh boy do they seem quite confident with their results here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

this is now appearing much too easy.

James

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page