My DIY AT screen build Noob alert!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK

I have been reading for the last week or so and it looks that silver/gray spandex over white or viseversa is the way to go.

I have a dedicated theater with no windows and one door. It has been a theater for about 7 years and I have always used a Dalite Permwall 88" Diag with gray screen.

My previous PJ was a Sanyo PLVZ3 and I just purchased an Epson 3010. There is alot of differance between the two as well as 5-6 years old for the Sanyo but the epson just looks great but for 720p the sanyo served it's time well. The Epson is WAY brighter so I feel after reading alot of threads I will try the gray first over white.

I did not get my fabric from the online links but did go to Joann's to purchase 3 different colors, White, Gray, and Black.

My goal is to get L C R all behind the screen/blackouts so all you see at the front of the theater is screen. Here is a pic of my messy room.

L C R will consist of 3 JBL AS2225's 2 JBL 2242's and 2 JBL 2226's. This is JUST a theater and not a 2 ch room. The 2 ch room is seperate!smile.gif

I am currently building my sub cabs to line the bottom of the floor at 4' wide per cab. (the room is 12' 4" wide) Then the 2225's will go on top of them and the horns will be centered at about 70% of the way up from the bottom of the screen.

Screen size is going to be 110" wide (126" diag) but I will make my frame the entire width of the room and pull my spandex across the whole thing and blackout the unused area.

I am pretty flexable as to mounting distance to the screen and the room is 19' 5" long. It is painted flat black on the celing and front wall and the others are a dark red with a dark grey carpet.

So my question is does anyone see anything I should change or very wrong with this setup? Have I included enough info? Did I forget something?

Please help me make sure I get it right.

BTW I am way more versed in audio than video, and so far I have only used default settings in all of my PJ's because I just do not understand what the settings are and what they do.

Video is provided via a PC running Jriver MC and a Geforce 650Ti and a Sapphire pro 40 for the audio interface. Thanks in advance.biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Well obviously you'll need to custom Frame around the cabinets, use appropriate Dampening material in the wall Void area, and construct a Floating Fame for the Screen at center, one that can be easily taken down / put into place. The Wall Framing itself should be Gasket-ed and screwed into the perimeter edges of Wall / Ceiling

If your selection of Spandex works out (4 Way Stretch? 20-80 Spandex / Nylon Blend? ) you should work out everything nicely.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I plan on pieces to go in between and around the LCR with a 1" layer of fibeglass on them, then covered with a strechy piece of black felt-like material I found ot Joanns. There will be custom grills as well covering the subs on the bottom and I thought I would use black spandex for that.

I will hang the frame on a cleat that will be integrated into the frame, as well as kerfs on the back side for the spline.

My frame will be made out of 1/2" Baltic birch with a 90 degree brace pocket screwed and glued around the perimeter. This will provide the stronest and lightest frame and provide a way to incorporate the cleat into the frame.

I think my gray would be like the miliskin as it is pretty thin and the white is thicker.
I will get some pics.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page