Need a screen for an Optoma DV10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just picked up an Optoma DV10 for my grand kids to use during sleep overs and such. It is an oldie but a goody (built in dvd player, 1000 lumens, 4000:1, 854 x 480, 500 hours on bulb + a new bulb) but for $100 I figured it would work. I need to build them a screen they can use in their bedroom and one for outside. For the inside screen, I'm leaning towards the 72" diagonal area, and for outside, maybe 90". My first thought was BOC for both (cheap and easy) but then I started thinking about trying for a brighter screen inside. Their backyard is pretty much a bat cave (literally). The only light is the moon and whatever comes through the back windows. The bedroom on the other hand, is Pepto Bismol pink! That's not gonna change until they get older, so it s what it is. Any other ideas for the screens? The outdoor screen will be under a patio cover so it will be safe from weather. Not averse to painting either or both. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
For both screens I advise you to consider RS-MaxxMudd LL applied to 6mm Sintra sheeting via a Roller. Both screens combined should cost about $120-130.00.

You could use Thrifty White Hardboard for the Indoor Screen if it will be firmly attached to a wall, but as for the Outside screen, the need for it being portable, rugged, and not tend toward warp-age due to humidity changes, means that Sintra would be ideal.

The outdoor screen would require a lightweight Rear Frame. The indoor Screen could screw directly to the wall and any Trim overlay the Screw heads around the perimeter.

Now I suggested Rolling because it may be easier and less expensive in many cases, but be advised that doing such still carries all the risks and concerns about rolling on a exceedingly smooth and streak-free surface. In other words, ot will look as good as you make it possible to look.

Use good Rollers and good technique, and those screen will look better than I'm sure you imagine is possible.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

MM -
Thanks for the advice. I have a couple of questions. My son in law wants to leave the outdoor screen mounted permanently. Apparently he has designs on watching sports out there when the young uns aren't using it. Will the RS-MaxxMudd LL stand up to being outside 24/7? The screen will be protected from the weather. The patio is covered the length of the house and extends out 15' from the house. Even in the worst storms, nothing gets up to the house. Also, can the painted screens be transported? I live in Phoenix and they live in So. Cal. I was thinking of building them here and taking them over. I'm thinking mount both on frames, using a hangman on the inside screen and upper and lower french cleats on the outside. My truck is big enough to carry both inside the shell, out of the weather. Your thoughts?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I've had a 84" screen painted with the same basic formula hanging on a outside Wall under a open sided patio w/Roof, exposed to 100 degree heat / 15 degree cold / variable humidity, and even getting a occasional splash of beer on it.

For just under 3 years now.

No issues.

Of course it's hanging so the bottom of the Trim is 8' off the ground, so direct contact is almost impossible (...except for beer splatters...which wipe right off...)

That particular effort was a Light Fusion (Plastic Mirror) "Glue" mounted on Thrifty White Hardboard that itself was screwed to the outside wall's Lap Siding. Doing that over, I'd use Sintra myself, if only because such Expanded Foam Plastic Signboard was originally intended for use in such environs. But under a "No Wet" location and securely mounted, Painted TWH would get'ter dun.

As for Transporting, if the Screens are mounted to Frames whose outside edges extend past the painted edge of the Screen, and care is taken to protect the painted Surfaces while in route, hanging, yeah...they are good to go.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

MM-

I'm going with your suggestions. Ordering Sintra today for pick up on Monday. Will gather all other materials next week for a weekend project at the end of the month (I have 4 kitchens to get done between now & then). I'm thinking of using 1" x 4" PVC stock for the frame of the outdoor screen. I used it when I rebuilt my chimney enclosure on my house in Oklahoma a couple of years ago and it has stood up to everything that Mother Nature has thrown at it. Main advantage is that it will not be affected by heat or humidity. Will post pics of the finished product(s). Thanks again.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page