"Single Can Solution": High Ambient Light High Lumen PJ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Ok, I'm picking a paint, doing it and taking my ball and going home for awhile, lol.

Scenario:

1. Living Room:

LMAO, insane heh? It DOES get much better with the drapes drawn...and there's little else for natural light, thankfully. Still laughing.

2. Basically: huge amounts of ambient light that can be somewhat controlled, but it will be decently lit during the day. I'll try to add a daytime pic with drapes drawn, soon.

3. PJ: Panny PTAR-100: 2000+ lumens on tap, calibrates to 700 ish in "best" mode.

4. Throw/screen: 11' with an 82" screen...I know, small screen, short distance, but both are maxed out for now.

5. Desires: daylight "watchability" is paramount, but if possible, I'd like to be able put the PJ in a "brighter' mode for daytime while using cinema/cinema vivid for nighttime and getting the best PQ I can...that would be pie in the sky, I'm sure. I'm a noob, but would this mean I could "get away" with a lighter/darker gray? Please advise.

Last, I realize there's no magic formula and worse, you cannot even get a real feel for my room. Still, I want to make the best first decision I can...if it doesn't work out, I can try something else, not the end of the world.

Thankfully this is temporary and I'll have a much better scenario in "x" number of months.

Thanks a ton and pleased advise if more info is needed!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post removed

post #3 of 3 Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Ok, I'm picking a paint, doing it and taking my ball and going home for awhile, lol.

Scenario:

1. Living Room:

LMAO, insane heh? It DOES get much better with the drapes drawn...and there's little else for natural light, thankfully. Still laughing.

2. Basically: huge amounts of ambient light that can be somewhat controlled, but it will be decently lit during the day. I'll try to add a daytime pic with drapes drawn, soon.

Yeah...insane. But such insanity often plaques those who want to use a big screen in an inappropriate location.
Quote:
3. PJ: Panny PTAR-100: 2000+ lumens on tap, calibrates to 700 ish in "best" mode.

4. Throw/screen: 11' with an 82" screen...I know, small screen, short distance, but both are maxed out for now.

5. Desires: daylight "watchability" is paramount, but if possible, I'd like to be able put the PJ in a "brighter' mode for daytime while using cinema/cinema vivid for nighttime and getting the best PQ I can...that would be pie in the sky, I'm sure. I'm a noob, but would this mean I could "get away" with a lighter/darker gray? Please advise.

A bright Beamer of a PJ, and a good choice. 36 fl at 11' on 82" at 1.0 gain
Quote:
Last, I realize there's no magic formula and worse, you cannot even get a real feel for my room. Still, I want to make the best first decision I can...if it doesn't work out, I can try something else, not the end of the world.

Actually there is a "Golden Ratio" to follow, that involves achieving a balance between Room conditions, screen size and surface, and PJ performance. Too much or too little consideration of any of those parameters and things are not going to be optimal. And optimal is what you want to achieve at any price point or involvement.

You want to use a One Can? Well any such paint in a Gray will leave you under 0.9 gain.....probably at 0.8 with a N8 Gray. That will reduce lumen output in Normal Lamp mode / Living Room to 29 fl. That's still not slouchy. Still, the simple addition of 16 oz White Pearl to a 2 Quart mix of a .8 gain Neutral Gray would significantly improve things. It would still be roll-able (but spraying would be sublime)
Quote:
Thankfully this is temporary and I'll have a much better scenario in "x" number of months.

Thanks a ton and pleased advise if more info is needed!

James

Ahhhhh...........the vaunted "X" factor, eh. For some that "X" means "In ten years or so....". As in Roman Numerical speak. tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page