BenQ W1070 Screen Paint - Newbie need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
js741502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, newbie here that's setting up a basement ht. I recently acquired the BenQ w 1070 and would like to paint my own screen. I have a picture attached that is from our appraisal report with prior owners belongings, so apologies for not having better picture. Walls are a beige color with white ceiling. Dimensions are roughly 25x26x9. I was thinking of about a 115-125" screen size so about at 12' throw.

Primarily going to be used for movies, but also tv.

I would rather not repaint the whole basement, so I would be looking for a color that would work with this projector and environment. I will probably cover up the block glass windows. Last thing is I would like to use Sherwin Williams due to a discount I have and I don't have access to a sprayer, so I will be using roller. Looking for tips and guidance on paints, brush types and everything else I am missing.


Thanks!

bsmt.jpg 26k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bsmt.jpg (26.4 KB, 37 views)
js741502 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Member
 
AudioFyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Smooth Enamel Satin Extra White B20. Excellent color and very deep blacks. Use a tight nap roller to avoid any artifacts in the smoothness of the coat.
AudioFyle is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
js741502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks AudioFyle. Would the satin be to reflective or shiny compared to using a matte?
js741502 is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by js741502 View Post

Thanks AudioFyle. Would the satin be to reflective or shiny compared to using a matte?

You want to use a "Matte" or "Flat", and I strongly suggest you have the paint mixed to a N8.5 Gray. ) SW 6260 UNIQUE GRAY (

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #5 of 22 Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
js741502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks MississippiMan. Pardon my ignorance, but would you mind elaborating on mixing to N8.5 gray? Just curious why that shade of gray vs others and what is the impact on the picture.

Thanks!
js741502 is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by js741502 View Post

Thanks MississippiMan. Pardon my ignorance, but would you mind elaborating on mixing to N8.5 gray? Just curious why that shade of gray vs others and what is the impact on the picture.

Thanks!

N or NG = Neutral Gray

The Munsill scale of "Light to Dark" is graduated numerically, with a 10.0 being completely White, and a 0.0 being completely Black

The Color selected is a shade of Gray, the tint of which is a specific Sherwin Color. it is "very" Neutral, and only moderately Gray. If you go into a SW stire and hand then the name / Color Code provided, they'll hook you up no time.

You can go here to view plenty of SW Grays. http://www.avsforum.com/t/929997/beginners-guide-to-simple-diy-painted-screens/60#post_12107536

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #7 of 22 Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
js741502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the explanation! Really appreciate the timely replies too. I'm moving into the new house this weekend, so once I get all the major things unpacked and squared away it's off to the basement for me. I'll try and do a series of photos to document progress.
js741502 is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smokarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hartford, CT USA
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by js741502 View Post

Thanks for the explanation! Really appreciate the timely replies too. I'm moving into the new house this weekend, so once I get all the major things unpacked and squared away it's off to the basement for me. I'll try and do a series of photos to document progress.



As a fellow W1070 owners, here are some of my past experience with the SW paints.

I previously owned the Epson 8100 and tried both the SW Unique Gray and Extra White. I am now on a Spandex screen, but might be doing something else soon.

I really liked the SW Unique Gray, better blacks and colors are richer and deeper. Sadly, the Epson on its most accurate setting did not have enough lumens for the gray screen. I then went to Extra White, which was much brighter and I've lived with that for a while.

With the lumens of the W1070 (around 1100 in Cinema mode), you should be very happy with the SW Unique Gray paint. You can check by DIY thread around here for details on the build. Hope that help.
smokarz is online now  
post #9 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Member
 
nappers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I am glad I found this post.

I just got through painting my wall with just a cheap flat white color. Before it was a eggshell creamish color with a slight gloss to it and it looked ok.
But now I used this cheap flat white color and the Benq quality now looks very dull and I just can't stand it.

I posted a video on youtube to show you my room that I am using it in with the old eggshell color before I painted it with the crap flat white (the quality of the video is pretty bad since I was using my Android to record it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS3pjaGZ1DQ

So the SW Gray will make it look better? Better than the satin white mentioned earlier? Won't a slight gloss to the paint give it more "umph" to it?

Thanks!
nappers is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Newbie
 
middlevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a W1070 as well looking at getting a piece of sintra and painting it. The screen will be in a basement HT as well light can be controlled. Just have a couple of questions. What would be the best mixture, i.e. color to paint this screen? I have some ambient light from side windows and would like something that will help with that for when you "don't want that in the cave feeling". Also to help with the blacks on the 1070 as well. If there is something that will do both that would be great.

I read one of MM posts were he says to cut a 10x5 sintra board to 107 inches in length, but on the BenQ calculator it says 106 inches. Which is best?

And last MM what kind of LED's did you use on the float screen? I had LED's on the back of my old TV and loved the ambient light effect.
middlevil is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlevil View Post

I have a W1070 as well looking at getting a piece of sintra and painting it. The screen will be in a basement HT as well light can be controlled. Just have a couple of questions. What would be the best mixture, i.e. color to paint this screen? I have some ambient light from side windows and would like something that will help with that for when you "don't want that in the cave feeling". Also to help with the blacks on the 1070 as well. If there is something that will do both that would be great.

RS-MaxxMudd can get'ter dun.....or Silver Fire v2.5 3.0 for an even more emphatic and dramitic effect.
Quote:
I read one of MM posts were he says to cut a 10x5 sintra board to 107 inches in length, but on the BenQ calculator it says 106 inches. Which is best?

Who ya askin'? confused.gif

Even 16:9 "Widescreen' can come in variable format. It is easier to correct an image that is slightly less / more wide than the screen than one that is too short / too tall. As such, going that extra inch of widthis of good benefit. Of course, the wider you make your surrounding trim, the more masking potential you have as well.
Quote:
And last MM what kind of LED's did you use on the float screen? I had LED's on the back of my old TV and loved the ambient light effect.

I know yer talkin' to me now.......2nd time tonight I've been asked that. Watch this space for an answer coming soon. ( tomorrow eve.)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #12 of 22 Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
js741502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did the satin mixed to the unique gray and it came out pretty great. I will say that I will eventually need to skim wall and re paint. You will see every imperfection in wall, but for now I am very happy with my $30 screen! Thanks for the help!
js741502 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Member
 
tasburath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is an interesting article on projector central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

They actually had better experience with satin over flat.
tasburath is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasburath View Post

Here is an interesting article on projector central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

They actually had better experience with satin over flat.

Actually, more people have reported Hot Spotting issues than have not, primarily because since that article was published, SW has changed their formulations....as well as their being some confusion as to exactly what paint is best to use.

Combine all that with the expensiveness of SW paint, and there are other proven paint applications that will actually do better.

The general rule of Thumb, one that keeps you from getting that Thumb smashed, is to avoid using any paint that has a sheen beyond Matte.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #15 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Member
 
funstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any others recently paint a screen for use with the 1070? What paint did you use?

Mitsubishi HC4000/Elite Screens 120" SableFrame CineWhite/Darbee Darblet/WDTV LIVE HUB/WD MYBOOK LIVE NAS
funstuff is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by funstuff View Post

Any others recently paint a screen for use with the 1070? What paint did you use?

The paint mix others might either choose or out of necessity have to have is based on several different criteria.

Silver Fire, RS-MaxxMudd, even a good 'ol basic Neutral Gray, all could be candidates.

A "Loser" would be Matte White, even in a Dark Theater, because the w1070 could use some Contrast boosting.

So if you will, list some facts:

Room size / colors
Desired Screen size (...tied to Throw distance)
Expected Lighting levels
DIY'ism level

Choosing something ideal from all that will be easy enough.....even a viable 2nd choice.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #17 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Member
 
RedLefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We went with an 8.5 neutral grey and are loving it. If we want to boost it a bit in the future then we'll probably go with the maxxmudd-ll.

RedLefty is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLefty View Post

We went with an 8.5 neutral grey and are loving it. If we want to boost it a bit in the future then we'll probably go with the maxxmudd-ll.

NG 8.5 is a light enough shade to help avoid undue attenuation yet still reap some benefits from the properties of Gray.

However if you switch later to RS-MM LL, to get the best effect you'd wand to re-prime over the existing 8.5 to that your undercoat starts out at approx.1.0

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #19 of 22 Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Member
 
funstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The paint mix others might either choose or out of necessity have to have is based on several different criteria.

Silver Fire, RS-MaxxMudd, even a good 'ol basic Neutral Gray, all could be candidates.

A "Loser" would be Matte White, even in a Dark Theater, because the w1070 could use some Contrast boosting.

So if you will, list some facts:

Room size / colors
Desired Screen size (...tied to Throw distance)
Expected Lighting levels
DIY'ism level

Choosing something ideal from all that will be easy enough.....even a viable 2nd choice.

Thanks!

The room is around 20' x 14'.

Will mount the projector at around 10' 9" for 120" screen.

Wall colours will probably be a neutral beige. Lighting will be controlled (pot lights), but can assume viewing will take place in a completely dark room.

Don't want to get too tricky with the steps involved for painting, as we could eventually end up buying a screen down the line.

Mitsubishi HC4000/Elite Screens 120" SableFrame CineWhite/Darbee Darblet/WDTV LIVE HUB/WD MYBOOK LIVE NAS
funstuff is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
For the w1070 and a 120" diagonal screen I "strongly" suggest RS-MM-LL.

And if you nail it, I'm pretty darn certain that spending 12x more for a comparable Mfg Screen at a later date will be far from your considerations. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
post #21 of 22 Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Member
 
RedLefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

NG 8.5 is a light enough shade to help avoid undue attenuation yet still reap some benefits from the properties of Gray.

However if you switch later to RS-MM LL, to get the best effect you'd wand to re-prime over the existing 8.5 to that your undercoat starts out at approx.1.0

Oh absolutely! We can tell the performance with ambient light is better than it was when just the white primer was on the wall, but the RS-MM-LL would definitely help deliver even more, plus probably an LEDTV-like "pop" in a more darkened room.

One day we may optimize that way, but for now we were ready to take the fastest path for "good enough". Coming off a 10yo 56" rear-projection DLP, this 2,000-lumen beast we're projecting at 120" for under a grand is quite a fun time. We watched two movies in one day yesterday for the first time in about five years!

You input all over this subforum is priceless. Thank you for how helpful, patient and personalized you are with your advice.

RedLefty is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLefty View Post

Oh absolutely! We can tell the performance with ambient light is better than it was when just the white primer was on the wall, but the RS-MM-LL would definitely help deliver even more, plus probably an LEDTV-like "pop" in a more darkened room.

One day we may optimize that way, but for now we were ready to take the fastest path for "good enough". Coming off a 10yo 56" rear-projection DLP, this 2,000-lumen beast we're projecting at 120" for under a grand is quite a fun time. We watched two movies in one day yesterday for the first time in about five years!

You input all over this subforum is priceless. Thank you for how helpful, patient and personalized you are with your advice.

Well awlwriteethen.... smile.gif

Thanks for the boost. I showed your comment to the Wife. Should keep her off my back for another couple weeks. tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is online now  
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off