Just this last weekend, I had the distinct pleasure of making a short drive up into the hinterlands of Central Missouri to help member "monumentally"
construct a large Spandex Screen, as well as advise him on a few various sundry aspects of his proposed Theater. Got to indulge in his excellent hospitality, and quaff several Guinness Black Lagers too, which helped with the creativity quotient.
As specified, the object was to construct a 135" diagonal 2.35:1 Screen, with the intention of creating a platform for a Constant Image Height
application. Already in hand and waiting to be abused was a Panasonic AE-8000U.
Inasmuch as "monumentally"
also wanted to place a "ultra low profile" Martin Logan Center Channel speaker at dead center behind the proposed Screen, I determined that the construction of a shallow Shelf at that location was in order. Also, that the Screen assembly itself needed to stand off the wall a full 4.5" to accommodate the MLCC.
So we both got to work. First... "monumentally"
did an excellent job of hand culling some very straight sticks of 2" x 4" x 12" Pine Studs. These were laid out "on Edge" after having Mitered the ends of each. Stud Dimensions were 130.5" "outside" on the Top & Bottom lengths, and 59" "outside" on the sides.
After selecting the "straightest of the straight" timber for the longer lengths, and some good ones for the shorter ends, precise Mitering of the corners allowed for a very square frame. (...after assembly there was a slight twist, but nothing ungovernable...) Below is a diagram showing the method and materials used to join the corners.
Both a 3" Corner Brace "AND" 2.5" Coarse Threaded Screws we used to secure each corner. First the Corner Braces were applied (...after marking and pre drilling guide holes...) to hold the assembly together, then two screws were inserted into each "wide side" of each corner (w/Countersinking also...) to pull each corner tight.
To hang this biggun' onto the wall and accommodate a 4.5" stand off, a "Ledge" bracket was made (2) for the Top & bottom lengths out of 2' x 4" Blocks. The outside "Top Edge" edge of the Hanging Block had to be Flush with that of the Top Edge of the Frame. (see next image)
Here is an image of the Frame hanging on the Framed Wall:
......and another image that shows both the degree of "Stand-Off" from the existing Wall Framing, as well as the Corner Bracket used:
Here is a shot of the completed Frame laying on the plastic covered Floor "Face Up" with the initial "Back Layer" of Light Silver Milliskin draped over:
The Light Silver Milliskin stretched and secured....................:
..................and now the White Milliskin stretched over the Top:
The porosity of the White Milliskin allows a good deal of the Light Silver Milliskin to bleed through, effecting a very light Silvery Hue. That can only be a good thing, as the ensuing images will show.
Here are images with a White Milliskin remnant laying across the finished, White Milliskin surface. You will note the difference in shading.
And now, the first "reveal". The Screen hung in place, with good 'ol "monumentally"
standing by it's side.
.................and finally.....Screen shots!
A Menu shot showing bright, accurate color:
Everybody's favorite Blood Sucker:
Some else's Wedding...obviously...:
That's all for now....I only had the DVD at hand to work with, and time was almost gone for me to get started Home.
Comments welcome! Soon, "monumentally"
will pop in and both give his impressions on the process, and take on questions, and hopefully later provide a variety of images that don't purvey the Undead.