Spandex vs. paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am working on getting an optoma gt750 and am going to build a screen once I get it. I am a total beginner. I've never had a screen or a pj. I am poor and full of questions so let me start out saying thanks for the help. So just a few questions to start. I need a good link to help me learn how to determine screen size and measurements. I'm thinking about 80-100 inch as the room is kinda small. I also need to know if paint or spandex is less expensive. I don't need it to be at but spandex seems easier. I also couldn't find a video of a good screen build walk through for spandex so if you have a link thanks for that also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
At 80" and with the 750, you can use Silver Milliskin over White Milliskin.
Spandex cost for 2 yards of each....$36.00.
A simple Frame, 2" painted or Wrapped Trim...and your there for WAY under $100.00

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome thanks. Lost the auction on the gt750 so I may be getting a benq w710st instead ugh. I wish a sweet deal would land on me lol. Should I go light silver or plain silver?
post #4 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Light Silver Milliskin.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 11 Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I tried both paint and spandex.

If you don't need the AT properties, which still need further testings, I would def go with a painted screen.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

So do you just buy a board and sand it and paint it?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmagikalx View Post

Some decision making has to go into it.

I suggest you spend some time reading to familiarize yourself with what is involved. Otherwise prepare yourself to simply take advice and instructions and get something done.

Too often, off-the-cuff suggestions can confuse and misdirect a NOOB. In your case, "easy & less expensive" seemed the key elements you were interested in. At 80", with a high lumen PJ, Spandex is both.

I paint 99.9% of all screens I construct, but that is not to say that I cannot see and appreciates the merits that lie behind Spandex Screen builds. Many who have no "AT" needs have built Spandex Screens because they are lightweight, usually portable, involve little or almost no mess, and they are affordable.

Then again, if your comfortable with a Roller, or can consider Spraying, many exciting options open up, and the performance potential does improve as well as the efficiency of PJ illumination usage.

You can read...discover, or be blindly led into nirvana, but no matter what, you WILL reach a Happy Ending. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #8 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are many DIY painted screen threads around here. Spend sometimes reading and you will learn a lot.

A 90" painted screen can be made for under $50, that will satisfy the majority (performance wise).
post #9 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are making this hard for me lol. I'm going to go spandex because light weight sounds good for me. Thanks for the tips by the way.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Satisfaction is DIY Screen making should entail being assured that the best possible solution and end results are achieved, not just having accomplished something one can "settle" with.

While one might be able to get good results with a simple Neutral Gray, if the material it is applied to is deficient in any way, or proper technique in the application isn't observed, even the most simple and least expensive applications are not worth 2 cents. The reverse is true if an improper paint, or inappropriate material is chosen for a given situation.

It does little good and even less service to suggest that someone try something that is merely "sufficiently good". Most DIY'ers really don't want to "try" something...they want to "accomplish" something special. For next to nothing, of course. Even fewer appreciate being told, "Try this first then if you want something better you can always move up...", Having been on these Boards for a while, I feel safe in saying that such a statement represents a lazy, non-committal response to a very plead-full request.

So being, it is the responsibility of any contributor to do just as much reading "into" and absorbing the needs and often unstated desires of a Poster before making any "suggestion, ........perhaps more so that it is the responsibility of said Poster to read and absorb as much as possible before asking for advice.

In a perfect DIY world, we all could sleep late, and the Noobs could simply search, find, and proceed apace. Gosh...to wish is but to dream.

Bluntly stated, contributing to this Forum requires a conspicuous and unselfish effort, and a willingness to be both patient and supportive. If such is done, then in the end it's all worth the insomnia, indigestion, and consternation. Not so much having to sleep on the couch because the Wife gets disgusted with all the time spent at the keyboard....mad.gif

Few things are as satisfying as to have a stranger say, "Thank you for taking the time out to help me get this done...it would not have happened without your help."

It can actually be addicting.
Quote:

You guys are making this hard for me lol. I'm going to go spandex because light weight sounds good for me. Thanks for the tips by the way.

It's what we are here for.....mostly. wink.gif

BTW, my comments were directed to the world at large, and to no one in particular. They were made to express a point of view that while my own, may not represent that of others who hold differentiating ideals.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL.

No one said DIY were ever easy.tongue.gif
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page