What type screen should I build? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finished building my home theater a couple of weeks ago and love it. At the moment, I'm projecting a 125 inch picture on a 10ft wide wall which is painted a dark gray...and love it. Now I'm looking to build a screen but don't know which route to go. I've read many threads but I need somebody to point me in the right direction. One thing I am certain is that AT is not a requirment in my set up (unless you tell me otherwise).

Edit: my throw distance is 17ft and it's in a light controlled room.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If your wall is perfectly smooth (or can be made so) the easiest thing would be to paint a screen and put a border around it. If your wall is not smooth Thrifty White Hardboard is an easy solution along with paint, but limits the size of your screen. I am sure Mississippi Man can give you advice, but you will need to post your projector brand and model and throw distance. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I have an Epson 3020 and throw distance is 17ft. At this point it looks like I'm going to give spandex a try. I have been reading other threads and it seems that people are using (or trying) Light silver instead of silver and somewhere I read Milliskin Matte instead of Moleskin Matte. Any suggestons?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post

I have an Epson 3020 and throw distance is 17ft. At this point it looks like I'm going to give spandex a try. I have been reading other threads and it seems that people are using (or trying) Light silver instead of silver and somewhere I read Milliskin Matte instead of Moleskin Matte. Any suggestons?

You should use White Milliskin matteover Light Silver Milliskin matte.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #5 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

thanks MM....but now I have more questions....

Since I don't need AT, and moleskin being thicker and having less light loss, wouldn't moleskin be a better approach? Also, why Light Silver over Silver? Don't take these questions as I'm not going with your recommendation, because I will, it's just that I'm the kind of person that needs to understand the why's of things. Besides, I can tell my wife why and I sound smart and then maybe get lucky smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 241
The White Milliskin is smoother...and being lighter in weight, will stretch out to a smooth surface with less tension needed. less tension means less stretching open of the weave. A tighter weave will reflect more light. A smoother weave means more detail.

The Light Silver Milliskin is also to a small degree more reflective than the Silver Moleskin, though boht are pretty close to the same shade. Once again, the tighter weave will reflect more, and absorb less.

Silver under white serves to enhance contrast...while White over silver allows for the brightest possible Colors and most pristine Whites. Either Color alone has significant drawbacks. It's become apparent that only those with uber lumen output (...via a Short Throw, or high Lumen Pj...or both...) should consider using either the Silver Moleskin or the Light Silver Milliskin as a top layer, and if such is done, absolutely the Top should be backed with White Milliskin. In truth, unless directly comparing a Silver Milliskin Top surface with a White Milliskin Top surface, the Light Silver does in fact look very good! But put a White beside it / over it and the difference in the appearance of the White levels is striking. But that's how all comparisons between basic Grays and Whites turn out. For many, the greatly improved Black levels and deeper Color saturation of a Gray / Silver are worth the attenuation of Whites...to at least a reasonable degree. On the Flip...those who want the brightest possible image are often very biased toward losing any degree of such.

Using a White Milliskin Top Layer over a Light Silver Milliskin under-layment is the best possible blending of the two for most applications. That statement might be construed as being a "IMHO" but must also be qualified a bit more due to my having "Been there...Done that" as well.

Wanna get Lucky? Tell the Wifey to model the left over strips of "thin" white Spandex, a" as well.a Sheena style. Put 'em to good use. Posting Images is optional. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #7 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

ok, so White Milliskin Top Layer over a Light Silver Milliskin it is. Is 3 yards enough for 120 inches? How "long" is the fabric? I read somewhere that they come in 54 inch rolls, spandex page says 58/60"...whatever that mean. A 120 inch screen is 59 inches tall, (16x9). Will the fabric stretch that much?

BTW, read in another thread it was your anniversary on the 14th......Congrats!

PS: I've edited this post three times already....it seems that every time I read some new thread I have to come and change the question.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post

ok, so White Milliskin Top Layer over a Light Silver Milliskin it is. Is 3 yards enough for 120 inches? How "long" is the fabric? I read somewhere that they come in 54 inch rolls, spandex page says 58/60"...whatever that mean. A 120 inch screen is 59 inches tall, (16x9). Will the fabric stretch that much?

@jrguzmanr - The spandex is 58" to 60" wide (tall as it applies to your screen), so will stretch plenty to make your 59" tall screen. But you'll need about 3.5 yards to stretch to 120 inches.

You'll like the spandex - keep us posted and pass the pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan 
You should use White Milliskin matteover Light Silver Milliskin matte.

@MM - So now White Milliskin is the ticket? Sheesh. Now I have to order some of that to cover the Silver Moleskin you recommended last year... rolleyes.gif

Just givin' ya the business, MM. You da man in DIY screens. Silver Moleskin has awesome blacks and great contrast in a light controlled room. Time to try the White Milliskin to see the difference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #9 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going tonight to buy my 1x4 poplar and other accessories. I have white paint at home, should I use it to paint the wood? When I insert the spandex into the "screen tight channel", does the spline go in after the spandex and then I use the roller?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page