Heres a Challenge if you dare - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright here is my situation, i just moved from a house with a no outside light basement where i had a awesome HT room using a epson 6100hd and a vesrion of mud mix on my wall for an outstanding picture. However my new house is all above ground and the only room i have to build a new HT in is, get this 2 wall complete windows floor to ceiling and the screen has to go on one of those walls as the room is only 12 X 16 I no it sucks but it all I have to work with.

So I still have my 6100 and I am happy with it, I have put up black out curtains along the walls with motorized rods but there is stll some light seepage from top and bottom but not to bad. Now I need to make a screen and heres the challenge I need it to be retractable, it can roll up or be pulled up to the ceiling as i have a 10 ft ceiling in this room. I need a DIY project for this weekend hit me with it.

oh and Target size is 110" diag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
No problemo!

Read this Thread.....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

Challenge indeed........... tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Out Standing results, I should have known you had already faced this problem to some degree. The picture is even with the full sun surprised me.

Now I do have couple of question that I didn't see an answer to in the thread.

1. Does the base screen type mater i.e. material and what kind was it?
2. Is the screen still retractable?
3. Does the paint suffer any side effects from being rolled up?
4. Are tab tensioner's a must?
5. With the added weight does the motor have any issue retracting the screen?

Sorry I'm an Engineer when I see something like this my geek comes out and I have to know how it works.

Thanks for the tips.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrispin View Post

Out Standing results, I should have known you had already faced this problem to some degree. The picture is even with the full sun surprised me.

It was indeed a challenge....to make this Stair Landing Common Room into anything remotely resembling a Big Screen Theater. But don't think I was happy about it! It was more difficult, and more costly than any "real" DIY substrate application on the weight of having to use a Mfg Retractable Screen alone, let alone having to deal with the logistics of cosmetically mounting the Screen so as to make it not be there when not in use.

But ya gotta know i heard a great many Women say, "That's a Big Screen I can live with, Dear."
Quote:
Now I do have couple of question that I didn't see an answer to in the thread.

1. Does the base screen type mater i.e. material and what kind was it?

A Bright Matte White Screen material, as smooth as possible is best. If one starts out with a light HC Gray, for best results it should be primed with a bright white Primer (BullsEye 123 is best for this instance...)
Quote:
2. Is the screen still retractable?

Absolutely. During the Show itself I demo'd that aspect at least 35-40 times. If it was not possible, then I'd have hung a solid over the window and gone that route. But of course the Builder (...and any subsequent Home Owners...) would never allowed that to happen.
Quote:
3. Does the paint suffer any side effects from being rolled up?

No...not a bit, but after it is sprayed the Screen should remain in the "down" position for at least 2-3 days (...longer if possible...) to allow the paint surface to tighten and cure. The paint itself is very flexible, due to the coating being both very thin overall, as well as the constitutional make-up of the paint itself being made up of both flexible Latex Acrylic compounds and a healthy dose of Polyurethane. Even better still, the fully cured surface is wipe-able with a damp cloth to remove any light finger smudges or marks some little Cretin might introduce. Even something drastic like a pencil mark or crayon smear can be removed and the area touched up. That would NEVER be possible with ANY Mfg Screen that did not posses such a coating.

4. Are tab tensioner's a must?

Not irrevocably so, but with any Retractable that is Tab Tensioned, you have a straighter, stiffer surface that is far less apt to develop any waves or curling at the edges. That's why they make 'em like that...to be better than Retractable-s that merely hang. And...this also works to one's advantage when spraying onto such a taunt surface, as the material is less prone to moving about, and especially "NOT" contracting as the thin paint is curing. Once the surface is done curing, any such surface held straight will remain straight.
Quote:
5. With the added weight does the motor have any issue retracting the screen?

No...the additional 2-3 lbs of paint (2+ US quarts) is no strain on the Comfey Tube Motors most current Mfg Retractable Screens use.
Quote:
Sorry I'm an Engineer when I see something like this my geek comes out and I have to know how it works.

Thanks for the tips.

Sho Nuff. It was my own "Geekiness' that got me started exploring how to make promising but failed DIY Screen applications workable, way back in 2002. That, and the fact so many were saying it couldn't be done...that a DIY Screen application could never match or exceed any Mfg version. That applied double to Ambient Light Screen apps. The initial Sony Chroma-Vue owners threw down a Gauntlet (...a "challenge" if you will...) for us DIY'ers to come up with a application that could duplicate the end results of what was then a pretty amazing Mfg Screen. And a grossly over priced one as well.

We nailed it down in about 3-4 weeks time. The rest is AVS DIY Screen History. (...and with a bit of "histrionics" tossed in by a few...as our success PO'd those same SONY CV users to no end. biggrin.gif )

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hahaha Beautiful nothing better than PO-ing Sony I hate'em.

I will probably start with the Mono price.

Product ID: 7940
Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ IR Remote - HD White Fabric (106 inch, 16:9)
and go From there, I will update the thread with my progress and results and open up the curtains to show you the results, it should be interesting.

Ordering everything today.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Be sure to use the Graco 2900 HVLP The Vendor below has the least expensive one at present.
http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

http://www.earlex.com/pdf/3500_accessories.pdf You can order direct from Earlex. Tell 'em MississippiMan sent'cha. See what good it does. biggrin.gif
w/a optional 1.0mm tip
•1.0mm (.04in) tip size
•Part # HVACV1

If your lucky...these people have it in stock and at the lowest possible price:
http://www.datavis.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?merfnbr=2000&prrfnbr=674505

Or try one of these links...someone will have one.:
http://www.acmetools.com/tools/EARLEX+HVACV15+HV3500+1.5+mm+Tip%26%2347%3BNeedle+Kit
http://www.jr.com/earlex/pe/ER_HVACV1/

Don't get too hasty, Oh Geek'ed one. Review....formulate any questions as far as mixing or spray technique. Ask first...do second is any doubts or questions remain. You might well be the exception to the rule, but this plea serves a second purpose. It acts like a disclaimer if you go off and make an error easily avoided with judicious input.

ie; CMA

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Got ya, I understand and i will ask before I leap. And i probably am the exception here. I run testing lab for a living i will be running test samples of the mix and measuring the reflectivity and putting it in front of my radiospectrometer and reading the color spectrum on it just for kicks. I will make sure i post the interesting stuff. You could help me with one othere thing if you don't mind. Is there a good screen to use for this around 110" dia for less than or close to $300?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not Tab Tensioned. And few standard retractables at that price point have true 1.4 gain Matte white surfaces either.

Even so, when one considers the bottom line, a El'Cheapo retractable effectively coated can be so very much more a usable screen than otherwise, so in many ways, it would be hard to come up a loser in the game.

But if the screen is destined to be a valued asset and a source of continual pride (ie: look excellent) then one might not want to go 'too low'.

BTW, it will be interesting indeed to see how well a person of your abilities gets on with the process. Accurate measuring combined with analysis and spot correction is not something many...if virtually any DIY'ers can do.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page