DIY Screen Virgin. Spandex Route. Need Tips on Material & Frame Design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Never built a screen before. I have ordered a projector that will be here by the weekend and would like to try and get the screen built by then.

The design will be severely basic, reflecting my very limited DIY skills.

The screen will be 4:3 (I watch a lot of old films, Chaplin , Laurel and Hardy)

Size. Around 9 feet across

So my questions are thus:

Where is the cheapest place to buy spandex?
Does spandex completely block any light shining through or do i need some extra material behind it? If the latter, what material can I use?
Does anyone have a pretty easy to follow frame design that will still look nice?
My budget is under $100

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
There are about 1/2 dozen Threads involving Spandex Builds up on the boards at present. Most all the questions you asked are easily found within.

But it's the questions that must be posed to you that are of the uttermost importance.

What projector do you have / or are planning for? Add to that any specific limitations as to placement of same, and the basic layout of your room, the colors of the surfaces, and the lighting (...if any...) that will be present.

Provide those answers (...all of 'em...) and we'll go on from there.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for response.

Projector is an older second hand one. An Epson PowerLite 76c
It will go in Livingroom, lots of windows. I plan on buying blackout curtains to combat this, but there will certainly be ambient light. It will be only be used for movie time, so I can really spend time on blacking things out if need be.
Its an apartment, so everything is white. Walls are white etc.
Basic layout is rectangular, some odd corners and it leads into kitchen with no door between.
Projector placement will be ceiling mounted only...straight at the screen, around 17 feet away.
I have no need for speakers to be behind the screen.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

With the 76c, at a throw of 17', the smallest screen you can get is 116" across (9' = 108")

You should use dual layers of White over Light Silver Milliskin
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/795
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/5954

You will almost certainly need a small degree of ambient light resistance, if only from reflected PJ light output.

.........and at just 400:1 Contrast, the 76c desperately will need some assistance with turning gray into....well, at least a darker gray. redface.gif

Lastly, you'll need at least 3 Yardsof each, and expect to pull the Spandex pretty taunt vertically to accommodate a 87" tall Frame. Your at the limit of acceptable stretching.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MississippiMan

Should I order 4 yards of material or would that be unnecessary for this?

Also, to accommodate the stretch, I don't mind making a completely square frame. Would this actually make the stretch easier?

Does there HAVE to be another layer of spandex BEHIND the screen? I would like to avoid an extra $36 of material if something cheaper could be used.

I guess I don't understand the way spandex works as light goes through the screen. Does the back layer reflect more light back?

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

With the 76c, at a throw of 17', the smallest screen you can get is 116" across (9' = 108")

You should use dual layers of White over Light Silver Milliskin
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/795
http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/5954

You will almost certainly need a small degree of ambient light resistance, if only from reflected PJ light output.

.........and at just 400:1 Contrast, the 76c desperately will need some assistance with turning gray into....well, at least a darker gray. redface.gif

Lastly, you'll need at least 3 Yardsof each, and expect to pull the Spandex pretty taunt vertically to accommodate a 87" tall Frame. Your at the limit of acceptable stretching.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukestravels07 View Post

Thanks MississippiMan

Should I order 4 yards of material or would that be unnecessary for this?

More "length" won't help the "Height" requirements. Your simply going to have to stretch the bejesus out of it, vertically. Use the stretching Pattern I posted, as it makes you focus first on doing the "center" Width area first.
Quote:
Also, to accommodate the stretch, I don't mind making a completely square frame. Would this actually make the stretch easier?

No...unless you reduce the height aspect, there would be no advantage, and other disadvantages.
Quote:
Does there HAVE to be another layer of spandex BEHIND the screen? I would like to avoid an extra $36 of material if something cheaper could be used.

Nope...ya simply gotta spring for the cost of dual layers. Spandex, especially stretched really tight, will let appreciable amounts of light pass through. The Second layer helps arrest that loss because it lies directly against the top layer. If the Second layer is a bright White, optimal reflection of projected light back toward the viewer will be achieved. If it's Gray / Silver, then Contrast will be enhanced, but at a additional cost in brightness since Gray / Silver will not reflect as much light as White.
Quote:
I guess I don't understand the way spandex works as light goes through the screen. Does the back layer reflect more light back?

Cheers.

Hmmmmm....let me see.........,
Yes. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page