AR100u projector - painted screen questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have a PT-AR100u and I have about 150 hours on it projecting on my white wall. I have this located in a very large room that gets a considerable amount of ambient light during the day but at night will be very dark due to the dark gray/blue walls that will be painted within the next week. I've decided to paint the screen directly on the white walls and I'm wondering what mix I should choose. I'm a little hesitant on spraying but from what I've read - this seems to be the way to go based on the higher quality paint mixes that require this. I figured I should go with some sort of gray but just not sure how gray to go. I then found the silver fire and thought this was the way to go. I'm just not sure what type - or if I'm correct in choosing silver fire to begin with!

My setup -
AR100u projecting from an 18' throw
I've got the screen size at around 135"
dark gray/blue walls - white ceiling - cream carpet
screen top is about 4 feet from ceiling and just over 3 from the floor

Again - plenty of ambient light during the day - but then again we don't use it that much during the day either. We primarily use this for night movie watching. If i can get a mix that will enhance my evening viewing experience but hinder the day time - I'm fine with that. If I had a preference, I would prefer to enhance my night time viewing rather than increase my daytime viewing experience.

If you need any more info please let me know. I can take pictures of the setup if needed.

Also - I cannot move the projector closer to the wall. I've got 13 foot ceilings and the wife does not like the idea of the projector hanging down in the middle of the room - or hanging anywhere for that matter.

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Hi!

2 posts, and this is the first on DIY Screens so "Welcome Aboard!"

Reading your circumstances and preferences, I do in fact strongly suggest that a Silver Fire v2.5 2.0 would suit you best.

With it, at 135" diagonal, you should get a minimum of 16 fl on Full Lamp for daytime viewing, and be able to switch to a Low Lamp mode and the best possible calibration for Cinema quality under "Dark Room" conditions...while maintaining avery vibrant and dynamic image.

Spraying is the easy part. First you gotta assemble the mix and do whatever prep work to the wall that is needed to assure a smooth, texture-free image.

Here's something to also consider. Get the Screen up, and splash an image from both the 18' Throw and then at 14'. The difference in available Foot lambert of reflection is over a 60% increase, and will make daytime viewing "almost" as spectacular as that at night. I'd be willing to bet a beer that if the Wife got to see the difference it makes, and felt somewhat assured that the PJ could be hung with a discreetness that made it not so obvious, She "might" give it an OK.

I've done a few long drops from high ceilings, and in truth, almost no one even notices the PJ unless you point it out. They see that screen as they come in and it becomes the primary focus point. Also, with the 100's Lens Shift, the PJ can remain mounted fairly higher than you might realize.

Manno-el-Manno....it doesn't make a lot of sense to severely limit your PJ / Screen performance when / if the PJ can be optimally mounted. I can help you make a Mid-Ceiling Drop look sleek and discreet if you can consider it. You gotta get the Screen done first though, and convince Da Boss that it's worth it.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Hi!

2 posts, and this is the first on DIY Screens so "Welcome Aboard!"

Reading your circumstances and preferences, I do in fact strongly suggest that a Silver Fire v2.5 2.0 would suit you best.

With it, at 135" diagonal, you should get a minimum of 16 fl on Full Lamp for daytime viewing, and be able to switch to a Low Lamp mode and the best possible calibration for Cinema quality under "Dark Room" conditions...while maintaining avery vibrant and dynamic image.

Spraying is the easy part. First you gotta assemble the mix and do whatever prep work to the wall that is needed to assure a smooth, texture-free image.

Here's something to also consider. Get the Screen up, and splash an image from both the 18' Throw and then at 14'. The difference in available Foot lambert of reflection is over a 60% increase, and will make daytime viewing "almost" as spectacular as that at night. I'd be willing to bet a beer that if the Wife got to see the difference it makes, and felt somewhat assured that the PJ could be hung with a discreetness that made it not so obvious, She "might" give it an OK.

I've done a few long drops from high ceilings, and in truth, almost no one even notices the PJ unless you point it out. They see that screen as they come in and it becomes the primary focus point. Also, with the 100's Lens Shift, the PJ can remain mounted fairly higher than you might realize.

Manno-el-Manno....it doesn't make a lot of sense to severely limit your PJ / Screen performance when / if the PJ can be optimally mounted. I can help you make a Mid-Ceiling Drop look sleek and discreet if you can consider it. You gotta get the Screen done first though, and convince Da Boss that it's worth it.

Thank you for the validation that my initial choice was correct! Now I need to get down to business with wall prep and material purchases. All of which I've found in the Silver Fire section so I'm good there.

I wish I could get the projector closer, I really do. Running that HDMI cable through the 13' ceiling isn't something I'd look forward to right now though - haha. Although if we could get that dopped discreetly enough I bet I'd change my toon. I guess in the scheme of things this projector won't really hang that low considering the lens shift that is available... mmm - maybe I will take you up on that offer!

But alas - one thing at a time - and that thing right now is the screen.

MM - appreciate it!
post #4 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Available Screen height is still dictated by PJ mounted height. The Panny needs to at least be within a specified distance above the top of the Screen, and absolutely as centered on the screen as possible. Lens Shift is directly affected by the degree of Center" the PJ is placed at. Too far to one side of center where any real degree of Horizontal Shift is required and the available range of vertical Lens Shift is compromised.

Research your available measurements. Don't make any assumptions. It will be very unfortunate to determine that you might in fact want to move the PJ only to find that a few inches too much in screen placement forces you to reconsider.

We can help. But ya gotta take things in the order they should go.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM

im doing a very similar thing as you sir, same PJ and same paint!

i have a thread up right now too about my build, i will be following yours! please post pictures if you can of stuff that you do. there are and will be more pictures on my side. i am still really impressed with the image quality of this panny!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Hi Gavin and wr3Q:

I ended up building my own and going with Sherwin Williams 7071 grey screen in matte with fantastic results with my AR100. VERY bright room, too. Not saying it's the very best option, but my screen was/is a bit temporary and it was very easy, very cheap, and I think the results are superb. I'm a bit shocked it turned out as well as it did, honestly.

thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458413/for-folks-on-the-diy-screen-fence-my-64-free-floating-build

I'm going to try to get some decent ambient light shots this afternoon.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #7 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I also did Sherwin Williams paint (Unique Gray). It's a very neutral paint, and put out great pictures. Unfortunately, it was a little dark for my Epson 8100 in Cinema mode.

I have since bought an Benq W1070 and thinking about going back to the Sherwin Williams gray paint.

Like mastermaybe said, it was simple, cheap, and produced excellent results.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
any hotspot issues with the usage of grey paint?
post #9 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^ none for me, much to my surprise and satisfaction. It's always hard to speak for other rooms, screens, and pjs but it really worked well for me.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #10 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

I also did Sherwin Williams paint (Unique Gray). It's a very neutral paint, and put out great pictures. Unfortunately, it was a little dark for my Epson 8100 in Cinema mode.

I have since bought an Benq W1070 and thinking about going back to the Sherwin Williams gray paint.

Like mastermaybe said, it was simple, cheap, and produced excellent results.

I was thinking of this as a temporary quick option until I have the time for the SF. Still need to paint the room the dark gray and maybe this would be good temporarily in place of the off-white standard new house paint in projecting on now. That color looks pretty cool for my needs. As long as its matte I assume I wouldn't see any hotspots.

thanks for the input!
post #11 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr3Q View Post

im doing a very similar thing as you sir, same PJ and same paint!

i have a thread up right now too about my build, i will be following yours! please post pictures if you can of stuff that you do. there are and will be more pictures on my side. i am still really impressed with the image quality of this panny!

I'm going to monitor this! Thanks!
post #12 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

any hotspot issues with the usage of grey paint?

Not at all with my set up.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

I have to say - in regards to this projector - I'm really happy with my choice. I was leaning towards the 3020 for a very long time and then stumbled upon the AR100u in another thread and saw what people were saying about it. My throw was going to be pretty far, I was going to have plenty of ambient light during the day and I knew I'd need a light cannon. WIth it being almost 1000 bucks less than the 3020 (less the 3D - which i could live with) I decided it was a no-brainer for me. I'm projecting on my off-white wall and the image for night-time movie watching is just awesome - with nothing to compare it to of course smile.gif. Now, the boss and I have decided on our dark wall color for the room and I explained how we could either paint the wall - or have me spend time making a screen. She thinks painting the wall will be fine and I explained how I can quickly build a wooden velvet wrapped frame around it - too which she is "yeah sure whatever - just make it look nice" - and I think I'm finally going to have that awesome movie experience that I told her about all those months prior to the purchase. It's funny - I'm in a large all white room with light carpet and even at night the "experience" is just amazing. It's hard to imagine that after these changes being discussed here that this will transform the experience even more. We've got 3 young kids - going to the movies isn't a very viable option at this time - but now - we can go to our basement 4 nights a week and have our movie experience in the comfort of our own home. Gotta love it! I appreciate the advice I've recieved and when I get going with the painting I'll pst some pics or my progress. As suggested from MM I'm going to eventually move to the SF mix but because of other projects I'm planning on going with a simple sherwin williams mix to start.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM

I agree on the pj sir. I only have lcd/plasma and old 640x480 cheap-o projectors they used in high schools before this. I have watched a few movies/shows and played a few videogames, and it has thus far blown my expectations out of the water. I am lucky that later in the day the sun is on the other side of the house and mitigating light is as easy as shutting the blinds in the room enough to be far happier than my LG 55" LCD that was edge lit and had tons of back light bleed.

II can't wait to get these carpets installed so that i can work on my screen. I'm going big and right the first time instead of going small and wanting to upgrade in the future :-)
post #15 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Man...I'd get the screen done BEFORE carpet is laid. It's a lot easier to work with painting when the floor covering is left out of the equation.....

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page