Looking for help with choosing the right screen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just wanted to start off by saying this message board rocks. There's a ton of information on here. I have been lurking on these boards for a little while now. If you guys could help me figure out what type of screen I should go with I would much appreciate it.

I decided I'm going to go with the BenQ W1070. I'm on a limited budget and this projector seems to make the most sense with my needs. I will be using the basement for my media room and the max throw distance can be 14'. There is one small window in this room but will not be a problem for ambient light. The only thing I can't do with the projector is have it on a table. It needs to be ceiling mounted or put on the opposite wall with max throw distance. I also live in Kansas City, MO(can't find do-able anywhere).

I would like to spend at most $100 on the screen. Took enough to convince the wife to spend the money on the projector so I just need to watch it on other materials. I'm leaning towards not painting a screen because I would rather use a spray gun and since I don't have one the budget wouldn't work.

So far I've found a white 1/8" 4' X 8' panelboard at lowes and a Formica 4'X8' Lam Sheet White at lowes as well. Not really sure if these can work. Should I just custom order the WilsonArt laminate? I am not opposed to using spandex or boc.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 659
I think Smokarz just bought that same PJ and plans to do a painted screen. If you're not willing to paint unless you can spray, I'm not sure what would be best.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
You should check out a local sign shop and see what they can hook you up with. They will be able to custom cut your "screen" for you, which would be nice. I'm not sure how much dough you'd have to shell out, though. Great projector choice for the money. Holy cow. 1080p, 3D, lens shift, nice and bright. You can't go wrong.

The best advice I can give you, though, especially since your wife will probably only let you do it once, is to do your research and make the largest screen possible for your space. You've got a bright projector - it can handle it. And since when has anyone ever said (about their tv/projector), "I think it's too big." The reverse has happened all too often. Good luck and post back what you've found.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 253
You can come in close enough to the $100.00 budget to be acceptable and still purchase a great Spray Gun:

http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html ($50.00)

A 8.0 neutral Gray Paint mix ($23.00)

Thrifty White Hardboard ($13.00)

"Black Painted" MDF Baseboard Trim ($20.00)

Total $106.00

Refine that by wrapping the Trim w/Black Velvet (additional $21.00)

The single most important thing would be to mount the PJ optimally. The 1070 can only be placed at most just over 10.5' away and still maintain an image of 98" diagonal (85" x 48" from the 4' x 8' sheet)

As such, you should not consider mounting it any further back than 10' from the Lens face to the wall.

The 1070 at least has no Image Offset requirements, so by ceiling mounting it with a 12" drop, your 48" tall screen will be placed with the bottom edge at 3' off the ground.

Do you have your Mount selected yet? There are of course several low cost varieties ($40-60.00) that are essentially pretty raw looking collections of Hardware, with limited adjustment potential and no facilitating of Wiring down through the Center.

Then there are choices that cost about 2x the larger amount, but that are rock solid, low profile affairs that allow you to hid the Electrical / Video lines within a 1.5" drop Tube. What with needing at least 12" of drop from the ceiling (...if you do not employ Keystone-ing ...and you don't want to unless absolutely necessary...) and the PJ being situated at least a full 4' out into the room, having a clean, attractive installation will win Brownie Points from the Wife....I assure you.

If you have access above the room via a Attic or Crawl space, I can provided you with simple instructions that will allow you do achieve an almost seamless, smooth transition from out of the Ceiling to PJ, with the Drop Pipe also painted the same color as the Ceiling.

All told, with just a little extra attention to details, and not a very big increase in Budget, you can wind up with an installation that not only looks professionally done, it will still be cost effective. After all, you and others will have to look at the installation when the lights are up, so you really do want it to show off your good judgement and taste.
cool.gif

PS & BTW.....

Unless you can opt to smooth the wall and use it for Screen surface, there are few available options to get you into a larger screen that themselves won't involve spending close to your prescribed budget just tro construct a Frame and purchase the needed substrate. Under 100"? No problems there at all.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #5 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Even though earlier I was leaning towards not painting I definitely will be doing that now. I know I can convince the wife that buying an entry-level HVLP sprayer is the right thing to do. We are closing on a house March 24(appraisal is the last step) and I know I can convince her we could use this on other projects besides this.

With that said, I just bought the spray gun you recommended MM. With the gun purchased I'm not counting it towards my budget. I have not picked out a mount yet. Do you have a recommendation?

Also, this room is in the basement but I will be able to fish necessary cables to the projector.

Thanks again
post #6 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
I know I can convince her we could use this on other projects besides this

After I painted my screen, I used mine to paint the fence. Then I removed some PITA routed cabinet doors and painted those. Lots of things you can do with that sprayer.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsegelke View Post

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Even though earlier I was leaning towards not painting I definitely will be doing that now. I know I can convince the wife that buying an entry-level HVLP sprayer is the right thing to do. We are closing on a house March 24(appraisal is the last step) and I know I can convince her we could use this on other projects besides this.

With that said, I just bought the spray gun you recommended MM. With the gun purchased I'm not counting it towards my budget. I have not picked out a mount yet. Do you have a recommendation?

Chief RPA -Dedicated mount.....or failing there being one specifically for the 1070, the RPA-O. That is a Chief Universal Mount that has the lowest profile and the easiest installation.

A Drawing of the main mount structure:

The Chiefs are "SOLID", and they have extremely secure adjustment, plus a "Slide On - Slide Off" PJ mounting design. lastly, the utilize a 1.5" NPT Threaded Hole, that can then accept either a Threaded Steel Pipe of the needed length, or PVC w/Threaded Couplings, the Pipe which can be cut easily to any "exact" length needed. Steel pipes (aka: Nipples) only come in 2" - 6" - 8" - 12"+ sizes, so if your needs dictate something between those lengths, it ain't happening unless you find a location where you can purchase Steel Pipe in a stated length, have it cut and threaded to size.

Personally, unless I'm going to hang a Commercial, 2 Lamp PJ weighing over 50lbs, I always opt for PVC. It isn't greasy like Steel, sands down to a great, paint-able state, and is just plain easier to deal with.
I have hung 28 lbs PJs from 14' long lengths with no problems...ever, so for Home use it's a great DIY option for having a hollow Drop tube that hides your Wiring.
A few examples....

....and a Three LONG drops using PVC...the last being a Panasonic 5500 lumen PJ weighing in at 35 lbs

So as shown....PVC Pipe is a proven and valid option.

Here is one method to effect a "Through-the-ceiling" clamping installation. Probably the best choice for you as all you need to do (...if possible...) is to take up a small square of Flooring, build / insert your Plate / bridge, and instal a "Plenum-rated" Electrical box inside the ceiling. The PJ cord can be an expendable add in.....you can always get another.

Or you can use a Round Ceiling Plate by Peerless (ACC570)

....that has a 1.5" Threaded Hole, and mount it attached to Bottom or Top of a Plywood suspension "bridge" secured across the ceiling joists...

There is always a good / better / best way to do things...especially in DIY. . Almost everything I do is DIY, so be assured i try to only do things that work...and look great.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 12 Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

MississippiMan,

I wanted to give an update on my situation.

I have the benQ w1070. I opened it up and projected it on the wall in my apartment to test it out. PQ is great! I also ordered the GRACO HV2900 HVLP Paint Gun per your request. I have a sintra supplier ready to go. The day I move I'm going to swing by and pick up the 4X8 6mm sheet. It will be cut to 48" X 82". My screen will be 92" at 44" X 78" . This will leave me with a 2" black felt border.

Although you suggested the Chief mount I was unable to get it. I could only purchase one at newegg because of a gift card deal with my projector. I purchased this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882680011 which mates with a 1.5" NTP.

I've decided I want to use SilverFire. With my father being in the Automotive paint industry his whole career I feel like I would let him down if I didn't go big on the paint. Which version do you think I should do MM?

The picture above is the outline of my basement. The screen will be going over the cutout part. Am I going to have to make a frame since part of the sintra will not be backed by anything? What would you do with my situation?

Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 12 Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

I also bought my Rustoleum Metallic Accents – White Pearl and the Homax 69011 1-Gallon PolyPro Mixer/Galvanized Steel Rod. Those are being shipped to me. It looks like all I need to get is a 2 gallon Plastic Container and I should be good? My wife is going to be pissed(went way over budget). I really hope the end justifies the means.

If anyone has any ideas on how I should tackle the problem I have with hanging a sheet of sintra over the oddly shaped part of my basement I'm open for suggestions.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Please verify that the Liquitex Basics in that "Kit" are the same paints as required by checking them against the Paint List on the 1st page of the Silver Fire Thrfead.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 12 Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Please verify that the Liquitex Basics in that "Kit" are the same paints as required by checking them against the Paint List on the 1st page of the Silver Fire Thrfead.

Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue
Naphtol Crimson Red
Phthalocyanine Green
Ultramarine Blue

I feel like an idiot. I bought the kit because I had a 40% off coupon and kit's were 30% off as well. I checked to make sure the 4 colors were right before buying. Now I see the Yellow isn't correct. I needed a Deep Hue!!!! Now I need to make another purchase!
post #12 of 12 Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Your good. Only 1 tube is bogus. Could have been much worse. At least you got a deal on all the rest....and it's especially a good thing you checked .

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section