Blackout cloth for extra large screens... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 03-16-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a LGPA70G which projects at 16:10 aspect ratio, and I want to build a screen that fits inside a 122" archway. So that means (assuming my math is right) I need a piece of cloth that is 122"x76.25". However Joans website says the blackout cloth is only 54" wide. What are my options (besides using a smaller screen)? Will blackout cloth stretch to 80"? I imagine using two pieces of fabric will look dumb... Maybe a king sized bed sheet instead of the blackout cloth?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
dazian fabrics are 122" wide. they have a few versions of what they call "whiteout" cloth.

http://www.dazian.com/fabrics/projection-lighting
post #3 of 48 Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ouch pretty expensive (26 a yard instead of 6 a yard for blackout cloth)...

So it seems like fabric at Joanns/hobby lobby is all on 54" rolls, so is there any fabric like blackout cloth (spandex maybe) that I could stretch over my 122"x76" frame? Or I still think a simple white bed sheet might work, is there any particular reason why people use blackout cloth for screens? Is it super reflective/bright?
post #4 of 48 Old 03-16-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 216
BOC is a relatively inexpensive, white cloth that doesn't bleed light though it. But it's also not any more reflective than 0.9 gain at best, even on the coated side.

It's primary use through "the ages" has been to be a serviceable screen surface for those who wanted such. Many have taken it further and coated it with a variety of paints.

As stated, it's basically an inexpensive surface that provides an image that is at best, as good as the image provided to it, less some gain. Many who have used it along with higher end PJs have sworn it's "good enough"...while those on a tight budget, a inexpensive PJ, and no ability to paint have also found it to be a viable solution to projecting onto a existing wall.

Basically, it's all it can be....looks at least as good as possible given the PJ used and the room's own effects, and doesn't bust open the bank account doing so..

But watch out! Someone might tell you it ain't neutral...then where will you be? rolleyes.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 48 Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly think BOC will be bright enough for me (this projector looks great on drywall), the problem is it just doesnt sound like Ill be able to get a piece big enough. I assumed people had made screens with BOC bigger than 54" high, but I guess not. So Ill need to either buy two pieces and combine them somehow (is this even possible?) or us a different fabric (does a standard white king size bed sheet have similar 0.9 gain?).
post #6 of 48 Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumun View Post

I honestly think BOC will be bright enough for me (this projector looks great on drywall), the problem is it just doesnt sound like Ill be able to get a piece big enough. I assumed people had made screens with BOC bigger than 54" high, but I guess not. So Ill need to either buy two pieces and combine them somehow (is this even possible?) or us a different fabric (does a standard white king size bed sheet have similar 0.9 gain?).

Bigger'n 54" wide? Oh they do...they do!

Hang tight...I'll be baaaaack.

OK...here it is.

It's not sold as "Projector Screen" material by a "Screen Cloth Vendor" either, so it cost less. rolleyes.gif

http://www.rosebrand.com/product34/Blackout-Lining-FR.aspx

Go there.....but ya know, you'll need 4 yards (approx 63.00)

Be advised....because it cannot come to you on a "Roll" it will come folded in a Box. Expect to have to iron out any severe creases.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 48 Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hrmmm 4 yards (of the 110 inch kind) is going to cost about as much as something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/x150-Blackout-Fabric-Projector-Screen/dp/B007KA5G0W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363492397&sr=1-1&keywords=blackout+cloth

Maybe I should just get that instead?

Or perhaps I should be considering something like foam board/plywood? I wonder if I slap several foam boards together if you will be able to see the seams when a movie is playing... If I go that route I would at least have the option to paint the thing with some screen paint down the road (when I have more money to play with).
post #8 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumun View Post

Hrmmm 4 yards (of the 110 inch kind) is going to cost about as much as something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/x150-Blackout-Fabric-Projector-Screen/dp/B007KA5G0W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363492397&sr=1-1&keywords=blackout+cloth

Maybe I should just get that instead?

Or perhaps I should be considering something like foam board/plywood? I wonder if I slap several foam boards together if you will be able to see the seams when a movie is playing... If I go that route I would at least have the option to paint the thing with some screen paint down the road (when I have more money to play with).

Of course you will be able to see any seams, and working with 4' x 8' sheets of anything will mean arranging them vertically, three abreast... and then you have to accomplish getting them a flush as possible AND holding them in place. As for later painting? Three long vertical seams to finish out and then coat the boards.....? Rethinking things is definitely in order here.

Better to use something unbroken and seamless by far. And any material remotely suitable for a screen surface is going to cost you as much or more that any ideally suited material.

Ya gotta face facts. If you want a screen in the size you do, you are simply limited to as your choices. More so because the LG unit is not really nearly bright enough for your intended use at only 700 lumen

No...if you even hope to accomplish anything effective and worthwhile, resign yourself to at minimum stretching outsized BOC across a Frame and coating it with a bright white paint. Even that will be overstating your potential.

I seldom venture to say such, but in your case your trying to do too much with too little in three directions.

Screen size
PJ output
Screen material costs.

With your PJ and at that size screen, nothing you have seen, mentioned yourself, or have had suggested is really applicable. With a BOC screen adequately coated with at least a 1.1 gain surface. the very most foot lambert reflection you'll achieve...with a brand new lamp...will be 12 fl. That's effectively at the bottom end of the scale of acceptable image brightness, and would resign you to only a very light controlled viewing situation.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I think youre right, and when I look at the cost of BOC + frame + time spent building, I think i might be better off going with something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-M139UWX-Manual-Projection/dp/B000PHK3C8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Its a bit smaller than I wanted, but that means a slightly brighter picture...

Are these elite screens any good? Some complaints in the amazon comments, but it has a 2 year warranty...
post #10 of 48 Old 03-18-2013, 03:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just wait until you read the warranty terms. You gotta repack it in the original carton and pay shipping to effect a return / repair. (...go ahead...find a place to store a 9' or 10' long shipping container for a year or more...) Most do not bother. That one aspect alone drives many to purchase from a Local vendor.

Anyway...the one shown cost over 3x of the build your considering, and the extra cost is not indicative of quality.....Mfg Screens can be deplorably wrinkled / wavy out of the box. material can have defects.

Recently I acquired a 1.4 gain* White FocuPix 106" Tab Tensioned Electric Retractable Screen (...the only type Mfg Screen to really consider anyway...) with the express purpose to re-task it by coating it with Silver Fire. The application required a high performance Ambient light resistant screen and no White nuthin' was gonna do the job.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0
It cost me just under $600.00. But after coating it performed like a $3500.00+ Black Diamond (...better really, of course! cool.gif) and did it's other primary job of disappearing up into a valance, something most DIY Screens have an issue with.
So I did a Mfg / DIY Hybrid....and got the best of both worlds.

In that instance, a blending of concepts effected a more ideally suited outcome. Painting onto a DIY BOC Screen is nothing else but something similar. You have a surface that "will work"...just like a basic Mfg Screen will work...but it isn't ideal for your situation so what can you do to make it more so?

You can spend your way into a Mfg "High Gain" material....and then deal with all the caveats that decision "might" entail. You do need Gain....that is a certainty. You are NOT going to find it at a "under $400.00" price point at anything remotely the size your wanting however. That link you posted showed a couple 139"ers for at-under $200.00. They are not "tensioned" and that size "el cheapo" screens usually do have some waviness....but not always. You are best served getting a Fixed Screen...but even they can have a looser stretch that they should and have waves or a wrinkle.

ONLY in DIY do you have the most absolute control on what you want to accomplish. Are the end results tied directly to your own effort / skills? absolutely. But then again, so is the level of your "Satisfaction Index" and your crowing rights.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 48 Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Ok, I am going to hijack this thread because I have the exact same problem. I also have some answers. I have build quite a few screens and MOST of the time, i use wood... Not plywood because it is not flat, but that thin board they sell at HD for I believe paneling a bathroom? If you dig threw a few, you can find ones as clean as glass and then just paint them. BUT... you are stuck with 4ft vertical.
I did once make a screen over 10 feet tall, and I bought fabric that was similar to bed sheet fabric? Was big enough and cheap and then I just painted the fabric once it was stretched across the frame. But now I am in the same situation you are, I want a screen 63inx112in. So close that I would like not to have to go through the trouble of paining the screen like with my last one. I want a quick fix this time.

What I am thinking is this: Using the black out cloth and just allowing there to be a seam. I know this is disaster as the light from a projector makes seams stand out. However, I was thinking of then covering the frame again with a single piece of light grey spandex, similar to what mississippiman has already done but instead of 2 layers of spandex. I am hoping that the blackout cloth with prevent the bleed-though from the spandex, and the spandex will mask the seam and make it unnoticeable? But I am just not too sure how transparent the spandex is... If it is not terribly see-through, this should work... but if it is like pantyhose, the seam will show. As mississippiman has used spandex before, maybe he could "guess" if he thinks this could work?

I wish somebody had tried this before me so I would not have to be the guinea pig! lol I will keep an eye on this thread and see if anybody has any ideas, or have tried my idea and it does not work.

On a side note: http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/search/search.aspx?source=searchbox&keywords=blackout

I found this at $4.65 a yard. Have not ordered from them... just found the site. Seems like the best price. smile.gif
post #12 of 48 Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM

The big screen I made from just bed-sheet fabric and then painted. It's hard to tell how big it is because this room was HUGE, but picture lowering it to the ground, you can see it is around 1 story tall! It was a scary build and even scarier lifting it to that height! lol I don't remember the exact size, it was not a "hobby" choice at the time, but a necessity! I just ran out, bought stuff that I thought "may" work and did the whole thing like in a couple hours. I didn't expect it to work! lol
post #13 of 48 Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

I really don't have the tools to paint (I understand you need to mix several paints, and use a paint sprayer?). So that's why I was considering one of those 'Elite' brand pull down screens from amazon (will get free shipping with my prime account at least). I know the pull downs can have waves, but I am considering putting the screen in between an archway that divides a living room, so I should be able to anchor the bottom corners to flatten it out right? And the pull down/up functionality will be useful for when I want to open up the room and walk between the two rooms.

So for < 200 bucks I could get a pull down screen about 10 inches shy of my original goal (supposedly at 1.1 gain). OR I could build something with wood/blackout cloth likely for around 100 + time and labor (at 1.0 gain, assuming I dont do any painting, which sounds like a big job).

Still can't decide, but im leaning towards just buying one of the Elite screens...
post #14 of 48 Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Actually though zheka's link, I saw this:
http://www.dazian.com/product-details/?sku=Blackout+Satin+Wide&variantSku=&categoryId=70&subCategoryId=77&catalog=Dazian

And it is 118in wide so I think that means, i would need less than 2 yards? Because i could use it the long way? And then the $18 price would not be so bad? Under $40? I think I would be in that range if I went with cheaper black out and spandex right? The Zink color may be good, although I guess I could try it and in the worse case just paint it? Any thoughts?
post #15 of 48 Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM

I used roll on paint and a straight store bought mix on EVERY frame I made and they looked PERFECT. Just wrap the roller in tape and then peel it off to remove any lint. You can grab some swatches to pick the right grey for your needs... I always used a pretty light grey. I used them in homes and in VERY well lit businesses. Rolling is easy, you just need to take your time and do a few coats. It was harder with the HUGE screen, but the smaller ones were really easy. I tried spraying and THAT was a nightmare. It was a LOT easier to roll the paint even, the spray it.
post #16 of 48 Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM

Liked: 11
I'm going to start building one in the next month. Why do I hear people talk about using greys? Isn't it basically a white with a black frame? Not sure if I'm missing something here..
post #17 of 48 Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Among the first White or Gray Spandex applications considered involved using a solid substrate for backing and a "skin" of Spandex over the top. White paint, Gray paint, Silver metallic paint, even using Mirrored Mylar was even attempted by a few.

There would be no reason one could not effect a dual layer affair with a Solid Surface or Opaque cloth / Spandex build.

But not enough was said about how how difficult and expensive the construction is when building a frame that is both rigid and stout enough to handle the degree of tension required to stretch BOC across a frame that is over 7' high and 13' wide. Easily, the lumber and braces alone can cost more than the Cloth itself. And every piece must be straight, the corners and braces cut very exact, and the entire frame not have any degree of twist. The latter being something that many DIY'ers have had out of necessity to use Tension-style Wire & Turn Buckle assemblies to correct twists that develop even when using expensive, hand picked clear lumber and extreme care during assembly. Switch to Aluminum Tubing and specialized attachment methods, and the cost rises even more.

tommymsw
, while it is easy to say how easy something is, and make a reference about what one has done before, without providing details, real actual information as to how the build was done, the PJs used, and other important variables should accompany any such offerings. I'd personally like to know more about the big screen you posted an image of...the "bedsheet" one. In that photo I see the entire area illuminated by a Flood Flash, even the white trim underneath the screen to the right & left, yet the image looks to be not washed out at all. As one with some degree of experience building larger screens, and taking photos of 'em as well, so what is seen in your image is nothing short of remarkable in the extreme.

Let me give you an out....was the PJ used over 4000 lumen and the color of the screen a ultra dark gray? Was the PJ hung very close to the screen? (...I can't see it in the photo...)

On a different Thread you recently posted on http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436181/110-diy-spandex-at-screen/300#post_23082529 you mentioned that you had to order a special Fabric for a 10' screen, then you painted it. Can you pull these facts together and clarify exactly what you used, how you managed to get "bed sheet fabric" taunt enough to allow for the pressure of a roller to apply paint evenly, and what type of material it was.

I find it difficult to grasp that any High Thread count Cotton or Rayon material deemed satisfactory enough for use as a bed sheet, and available in a size larger than any "California King" sized could either be inexpensive enough to compare to the large sized BOC, referenced to, or be able to accept enough paint onto it's surface without a substantial amount soaking through. And the size frame? What materials did you use to construct it, and most of all, tell us how you managed to do it all in just a couple hours"? Paint included? It just doesn't seem likely...it seems impossible given all the years of postings by BOC users that have painted normal sized screens and all the steps taken and time consumed doing so.

Please don't feel that this is a "I'm callin' BS" post, it's not that, but it is a request that if you have something of note to offer, a more through explination...especially any method or materials that can help other DIY'ers get to where they want to go in the most effective and inexpensive way possible, then post up some real information that is helpful and informative.

Lastly, and for the record...I don't "Guess" about anything I post. I either speak directly from experience, or reference the experiences of others, or do so from using a combination of both sources. I really feel that the type of posts and the information I provide, as well as the extensive follow-up I give other DIY'ers pretty much makes that point very clear. To that effect, it may well be better for avsforumun to go with a mfg screen and hope for the best from it. I can say without fear of contradiction that if he wants to have at least occasional access thru that Case opening, even a lightweight, Dual Spandex affair is going to be a PITA to have to deal with.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #18 of 48 Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Ok, I meant "educated guess". As you may have not done "exactly" what i was proposing, I figured with your experience, you could speculate if you thought it would be possible, or if you thought it would probably not work. Again, I am not overly sure exactly how transparent the spandex is... If you would likely see a seam though it or not, or if you think you could hide a seam.

As for the big-screen I built, as I said, I apologize that I do not have more information. As I said, we threw it together on a whim... no plans and I just grabbed the measurements of the screen from projector central based on apx. throw distance. It was on a hunch that "maybe" they made fabric that size, so we just got into the car and drove to the local fabric store. They only had one roll of fabric that large (if I remember) and it "felt" similar to beds-sheet material. It was not terribly expensive. The frame was made out of thin boards 1x2s making a rectangle frame with two support beams down from top to bottom splitting the frame in 3rds. The fabric was then secured over the frame (staple gun). The build was longer than a few hours if you count paint dry times, but I was referencing labor alone (my intent was to point out that is was a lot simpler than I had thought). I then put black painted 1x4s screwed into the frame (with the fabric in between the boards) around the outside and on top of the frame... so they stuck out from the frame (I feel that helps hide any overthrow). The paint was a pain in the ass and soaked through to the other side so we had to paint to laying down and then lift it up after a few minutes. But after the first layer dried, the second no longer soaked thorough and went on nice. The drying effect of the paint even seemed to "tighten" the screen and we were totally surprised it worked at all, much less in our favor. lol. I don't remember the exact PJ (again it was SO many years ago and I meant this only as anecdotal conversation, not as a DYI instruction) but it was around $1,200 (so not terribly expensive) and I believe it had as least 3,000 lumens. I intentionally bought bright. The room was pretty well lit (although no direct light on the screen) and the room is MUCH larger than the picture makes it appear! So the flash got nowhere near the screen. The PJ had to have been a good distance away, I would guess maybe 25 feet or so? The success of the picture came from the fact that the upper level of the room was much darker than the lower level, so there was very little light up that high in comparison... And the frame was placed facing downward slightly (like you may hag a high plasma) and I think that helped bring the light down and also minimize reflection. At any rate, the picture was REMARKABLE, anybody who walked in there was amazed by it and people first would think it was a giant plasma. The build was in a bar (obviously) and we had built 4 screens for PJs around the place (this being the biggest), but I can tell you, even in VERY sunny conditions, the smaller screens looked really good.
post #19 of 48 Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM

As far as the "grey" paint for dmpavs, the idea is to find a material that reflects the projected image the best, while reflecting ambient light the least, a grey screen also typically gives you better contrast (darker, darks). The trick is to find the correct shade for your needs. For me, I am not going to watch TV with a TON of lighting anyway, so a light grey has always been good enough. A movie theater uses white, but they have FULL darkness and a MUCH stronger projector, even still, you notice how crappy the picture gets when they turn the lights on... with a grey screen, you should be able to have some lights on and not see a huge difference in picture quality. It is for sure the way to go.

My point here that I am trying to make is that you can FOR SURE go out and build an amazing screen, and you can go out and buy a mediocre one... BUT, if you are like me and didn't want a HUGE project and "pretty good" is good enough, you can make a home screen fast and cheap that works very well.... I also have a store manufactured pull-down screen and for SURE, the crappy home-made ones way outperform it. Using the materials I use though, you are limited to a 4ft vertical picture. (good enough though for most people). And on all my screens I just went out and bought a light grey paint at HD (all you need is the small can) and it worked great! Just get some swatches to test it out. And "these" screens I could easily tell you exactly what I used in them. I have built 5 so far.

The projected picture in this is not that good as the room is pretty well lit and I have the flash of the camera, and the PJ is an Optoma EP 732H with only 1400 lumens and at a distance of around 13.5ft, but I did it to show the construction of the frame, and as you see, I even put some rope light behind the frame for effect. smile.gif But even with the flash, the picture is still pretty good.

This picture is the same setup with more optimal lighting (it was not quite as dark as it looks in the picture, this is a cellphone pic with flash off). But again, the point is that for those who are afraid to try this stuff, you can get a pretty good screen with little money and not too much work. I made these screens in my kitchen and outside of waiting for the paint to dry, they only took maybe an hour or so? I am NO handyman. I'm more geek! I even used a hand saw! lol

So while a BIG screen can be a chore, if you stick to 4ft tall? It's really not too bad! smile.gif I just don't want anybody to be discouraged.
post #20 of 48 Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymsw View Post

This picture is the same setup with more optimal lighting (it was not quite as dark as it looks in the picture, this is a cellphone pic with flash off). But again, the point is that for those who are afraid to try this stuff, you can get a pretty good screen with little money and not too much work. I made these screens in my kitchen and outside of waiting for the paint to dry, they only took maybe an hour or so? I am NO handyman. I'm more geek! I even used a hand saw! lol

So while a BIG screen can be a chore, if you stick to 4ft tall? It's really not too bad! smile.gif I just don't want anybody to be discouraged.

First, thanks for the more detailed description that helps put things into perspective.

And your closing comment above is exactly what DIY'ism is all about. Too often some are quick to dismiss any effort that doesn't conform to the requirements others place on such efforts, feeling it simply cannot pass muster or be worth the investment of time or/and effort.

Your posted results belie those opinions quite handily.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #21 of 48 Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I used roll on paint and a straight store bought mix on EVERY frame I made and they looked PERFECT.

Hmm are you using normal paint (no 'SILVER' mix)? Does normal paint even increase the brightness compared to plain old BOC?

So that link you provided - http://www.dazian.com/product-details/?sku=Blackout+Satin+Wide&variantSku=&categoryId=70&subCategoryId=77&catalog=Dazian
seems like they would be about 37 for the cloth (two yards) + shipping (any idea what that is?) + lumber/braces (maybe 20-30?) + time& labor VS 180 bucks for a ELITE pull down screen.

Hrmm still cant decide...
post #22 of 48 Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Well like I said, my home-made screen blows away the pull down screen I have. The picture is much better, plus it looks almost like a TV rather than a screen. But, if you are not looking to the "joy" of building your own? Then a screen would work.

As far as the grey color, I just use a light grey with whatever the first level of shine is (as far as flat vs shiny). I tried a metallic paint before but I fount it both too dark and it gave me a "hot spot" at the center of the screen. With the giant screen I am going to build, I am just going to buy the "zinc" colored cloth and see how that works out. Because I am going so big and because I can dedicate this screen to "movies" (meaning I can make it very dark), I am thinking that a lighter color may be better because I am moving the PJ over 15ft from the screen (right now it is around 13ft). The cloth will be $37 (plus shipping) and i just bought the wood today and it cost me $20. I am planning on just stapling the screen onto the frame and likely will just drill some small holes and screw the boards of the frame together... either way, the brackets are only a couple of bucks. So I will have a 128in screen for like $60? or so? (plus it will be fun)... and if it looks like crap, it's only $60. I have not priced a pre-made screen that size but I have to imagine they are fairly expensive?

I will take a picture of my screen with the projector off to give you an idea of the color I use. I wish I could be more specific, but it's been years since I painted it. But I just grabbed some swatches and found one that was the exact color of my pull down, so I went with it. I tried a TON of variants and different formulas found on the internet, and painted my first screen with like 6 different colors, but in the end I was at HD and said "this color looks just like my pull down" and I tried it. And it works great.
post #23 of 48 Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM

I don;t think that "Dazian" site is a real site. There is no way to order from them, no way to get a sample and even no way to contact them vie email... None of those services work frown.gif I'll have to look around for fabric that big elsewhere.
post #24 of 48 Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

I don't understand the issues your having. Going to the link provided:
http://www.dazian.com/product-details/?sku=Blackout+Satin+Wide&variantSku=&categoryId=70&subCategoryId=77&catalog=Dazian

...it took all of 1 minute to have 3 yards of material in my "Cart", and a prompt to a page to enter in my information ( ...any Sales require a Site registration / Login...)
I also easily located the Contact page with several Toll Free contact phone numbers in three distinct areas of the Country.. http://www.dazian.com/contact-us.aspx

Pretty basic stuff.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #25 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

@tommy

Maybe ill hold off till you build your screen. Any idea when youll have it built/tested? I am curious if the Zinc color works or if you end up having to paint over it..
post #26 of 48 Old 03-23-2013, 06:48 PM

I'm going to hijack also......this seems to be the discussion I've been looking for. I'm not building as big a screen, however. Looking at 100" 16:9. I've got an Epson 3020 that I'm planning on having about 10' from the screen (this puts me right about the limit for that size screen). I also have almost total lighting control. I'm interested in doing the boc (I see Joannes has it for $6.99 a yard), but still curious if that by itself will give a good final result or are there other/better options.

Also, I haven't decided on a frame method yet. I've seen a few varieties, but still unsure. I'm curious about the frame method mentioned here about 1x2's for the screen frame topped by a black frame. Sounds like that would give a nice presentation. I've also looked at Carl's (eBay projector material site) idea for building a frame, but not crazy about the velvet tape. I feel like that would start to peel after a bit. I'm more inclined to wrap the frame in velvet cloth.

Fire away!

post #27 of 48 Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

To make the frame even lighter, I wonder if you could use some pvc pipe?
post #28 of 48 Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 AM

I had somebody from Dazien contact me, they said the site was new and they have been having problems with it. I could go all the way to the check-out, but then every time you hit (place order) it said "Something is wrong with this service, please try again later" or something like that. It was even before they asked for CC info so it's not that there was a problem processing the card. Anyway, I placed an order over the phone, I am not sure of the total cost yet as they add shipping after they ship... But they said probably somewhere around $18 for shipping. Seemed high but at this point, I just figured I would go for it. I should get the fabric tomorrow or the day after (I am close to their warehouse so it's 1 day). So I may have something finished within a few days? Moving the projector and the speakers (all that wiring) may take a while and i'm not looking forward to that part! But I'll post something asap.
post #29 of 48 Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 AM

For 88driver, if you are only going to 100in or so, I have a great method for what ends up being a 98in frame. It uses a piece of 4x8 wallboard. The smooth white ones meant likely for bathrooms? They are like less than $10... you need to look through a few to find one with no scratches, but then you have a flat smooth surface you can paint with a light grey paint. Because the screen is rigid, I only use a frame of 1x2's around it and then two down the middle that I glue to the board to keep it from bowing. Then I frame it out with flat black 1x4's to give it that "plasma tv" look, but you could do that anyway you wanted. Then with only two screws in the wall, you just lift and hang it on the wall like you would a picture frame. It ends up being pretty light. I have made like 5 of them and a couple friends have made them from my plans and they work great. The total price is something like less than $50? If you are interested, I can give you a better description on the build and post some pictures. I posted a couple of the front earlier in this thread, but I can pull it off the wall and take a picture of the back so you can see the build. Like i said, it's pretty easy to put up and down... also, because I don't have the wall screws at the exact edge of the frame, it allows me to move the frame right and left to get the picture exactly centered, this is easier than trying to move the projector to get a perfect center.
post #30 of 48 Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks, I'm kind of excited about using the blackout cloth. I went to Joannes yesterday to look at it and I think it will work well. Haven't bought it yet, I'm waiting on a sample of Glacier nonAT just to compare (I might regret that). I'm thinking about the double frame concept, 1x2's for the material frame, topped by 1x3's wrapped in velvet. I still have a few weeks before the room is done, but might start on the screen.

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page