Visual comparison of spandex and Seymour AV materials - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This thread as the title implies will be for testing of my current Moleskin white over Moleskin silver spandex screen with Seymour AV Centerstage XD and Glacier White (non-AT) materials. I ordered a 24”x24” of each and you can see the material below.

I did some quick tests while watching the Hobbit last night but I’ll do some more on a variety of scenes and take some photos soon (I need the material to flatten out). The XD is listed as a 1.2 gain screen and the GW is 1.3 by the manufacturer.

In this first photo the top left is Glacier White, top right is Centerstage XD and bottom is white moleskin spandex, Notice the heavy texture on the XD material. I was about 9-10 feet from the screen when I tested and in that one scene I did not notice the texture. The texture on the GW is about what I remember from my rolled on screen. The spandex has a much finer texture in my opinion but does have less reflectivity.
D6230BFD-4880-4E86-B684-C5E24F6C0733-154-00000005E997336B_zps7fe97776.jpg

Close up of XD
842D0053-4F77-4D14-B32E-8F6225416E5B-154-00000005EFD699B7_zpsf5d991d4.jpg

Close up of BW
FA7B6DEF-2786-467A-859A-D27D5E3CD880-154-00000005F5BCAC8B_zpsb7c18422.jpg

Close up of Moleskin White
5E5EAC6C-E2BA-48D1-B2FD-5293823E252B-154-00000005FB4F85F1_zps00fad060.jpg

I will add more opinions and pictures once I’ve done some testing.

Disclaimer:
The purpose of this is to determine if any of these materials work better in MY theater. I do not imply that any one of these materials will work better for you. There will also not be any measurements taken to determine FL and so forth I will merely test a number of light and dark scenes to determine clarity and color and which I prefer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looking forward to reading your reports.

Please remember to use black backer with XD sample.

Thanks!
post #3 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

Looking forward to reading your reports.

Please remember to use black backer with XD sample.

Thanks!
To simulate an AT install I would need a false front with 1’-3’ of space behind with a black wall (linacoustic or similar). By placing a black backing such as velvet directly behind the fabric would not simulate a true environment. The closest I could do is hanging it off the edge of my screen so it has the same black background and distance as my existing screen.

Remember this is testing as a potential replacement for my existing material so it would not be backed/lined with black fabric; at best it would be the existing silver moleskin which is 3 inches away from a black velvet wall..

I am more interested in the GW material as I do not need an AT screen but the cost for the samples and to ship one or both was the same so… The only issue with the GW is I don’t think I could use my screentight track so it would need to be stapled on.

Also keep in mind this is moleskin and not miliskin, I find the weave on moleskin to be quite good and it disappears after a couple of feet. It’s my understanding that miliskin has an even finer weave which may improve visual quality; I may eventually get some of that to test as well.

In my very brief testing last night I noticed both the XD and GW to give back a brighter image with a corresponding loss of black level. Much more testing will need to be done before…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
The only issue with the GW is I don’t think I could use my screentight track so it would need to be stapled on.

You may be able to if you use the thinner diameter splining material. You won't know until you try I guess.

I definitely noticed a brighter image on the XD vs the moleskin with a loss in blacks. Give and take, I guess, but I like a bright image.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

To simulate an AT install I would need a false front with 1’-3’ of space behind with a black wall (linacoustic or similar). By placing a black backing such as velvet directly behind the fabric would not simulate a true environment. The closest I could do is hanging it off the edge of my screen so it has the same black background and distance as my existing screen.

Remember this is testing as a potential replacement for my existing material so it would not be backed/lined with black fabric; at best it would be the existing silver moleskin which is 3 inches away from a black velvet wall..

I am more interested in the GW material as I do not need an AT screen but the cost for the samples and to ship one or both was the same so… The only issue with the GW is I don’t think I could use my screentight track so it would need to be stapled on.

Also keep in mind this is moleskin and not miliskin, I find the weave on moleskin to be quite good and it disappears after a couple of feet. It’s my understanding that miliskin has an even finer weave which may improve visual quality; I may eventually get some of that to test as well.

In my very brief testing last night I noticed both the XD and GW to give back a brighter image with a corresponding loss of black level. Much more testing will need to be done before…

the backer is only needed if there is reflective surface close behind the screen (such as moleskin). i do not use backer with mine
post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

In order to represent the black background correctly, you'd need to put something black behind any non-opaque sample. Otherwise, you'll be contaminating the backside with a secondary reflectivity, which should never take place in a front projection system.

True that unless the screen has filtering effects (e.g. Supernova, Black Diamond), generally speaking gain will simply scale white levels and black levels equally. Which scaling factor is desirable depends on the installation and what your personal preferences are.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
post #7 of 7 Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

No surprises there. The moleskin materials are very dark (even white over silver). It probably has a gain of .8 or less.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page