150" 16:9 Spandex Screen with Panasonic PT-8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am setting up my home theater in my new home and am going to go with a spandex DIY screen. My room is 14 x 20, complete light control, no windows, dark paint with a Panasonic 8000. I have two questions around screen size. I want to do a huge 16:9 spandex screen that will be about 150" D (72" H by 130+" W). Does anyone have experience doing such a large spandex screen in 16:9 format? Most DIY's that I have found are with 2.35:1 ratio. Will the spandex stretch to fit 72" high? I am planning a white matte milliskin over silver milliskin for the screen with a masking system for movies. Also, any concerns of the Panasonic not handling the screen size in a cave like room?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
There shouldn't be a problem with doing a spandex screen that size, but if you do 150" diagonal you are going to be at nearly the maximum zoom of the lens in order to get a reasonably bright image with a 0.8 gain screen. This assumes you are going to mount the projector about 15' from the screen. If you mount it further back it alleviates the zoom issue some but at the expense of brightness. You can use the calculator at Projector Central and play around with changing the throw distance and screen size and see what works best for you.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am still in the planning stages, about a month away from doing the finishing work. I ordered my spandex for the screen today as well as some led lights to see if I like a zero edge backlit spandex screen. Like the way it looks in the demo rooms, so i am anxious to see how it looks at home.

I want to maximize the screen in the space that I have. I'll post pictures as I go through the process.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post

Thanks. I am still in the planning stages, about a month away from doing the finishing work. I ordered my spandex for the screen today as well as some led lights to see if I like a zero edge backlit spandex screen. Like the way it looks in the demo rooms, so i am anxious to see how it looks at home.

I want to maximize the screen in the space that I have. I'll post pictures as I go through the process.
''

I gotta clarify a few things.

First off, the amount of stretch available to the 80-20 Spandex is considerable, and easily enough to accommodate the 72"s required without it being overstretched. You would want to stretch it evenly though.

Secondly, you absolutely need to minimize your throw distance. For a 150" diagonal screen that is 1.0 gain, the minimum distance is 14' - 9" which grants you 18 foot lamberts. Move out 9" to 15' - 6" and you only drop to 16 fls....a good place to be for almost any normal content. But 3D? Better close off the room into total darkness 'cause your off-the-screen reflectivity will drop to 7-8 fls And all the above is based on a 1.0 gain surface. The Spandex combo will equate to being at most 0.85 gain.
(...there is a simple answer to that... wink.gif

Onward...

It's a cool idea in any design, Zero Edge-ing w/ Back lighting. But when using a porous material like Spandex...or really any perforated / Weave material, you have to be 100% assured you won't have rear light leakage,

You will need a totally "Light Blocking" material behind the Spandex. For the size screen you have, and the job that needs doing, you should acquire your "Black Out Cloth" here:

http://www.rosebrand.com/product34/Blackout-Lining-IFR.aspx?cid=174&idx=21&tid=1&info=Masking%2b%2526%2bBlackout

Use the Pull Down menus to select the 110" wide material. You will only need 3 yards if you settle on 72" x 128" (147") otherwise spend the $9.00 more and go out to 150" (74" x 131"} because the Spandex will take those 2 extra inches in stride.

I suspect you might want to build your Frame from selected 2x4. or in the least 1x4 Poplar rigidly braced.

But in all this lurks the inevitable question? Is Spandex the best choice here? Well chosen White Blackout cloth will perform as well as...even better than White Milliskin Spandex as far as Gain, and would only require "ONE" layer to do so. That same layer would have no potential of lighting up from the rear mounted LCD / LED Rope Lighting.

Nope...if your gonna back-light, and you gonna go big, I don't think a dual layer Spandex / BOC backing screen makes much sense.

Go with a good material of close to 1.0 gain to achieve the minimum results stated above. BOC comes close.....,

..................but you could take it much further, and do so much better if you painted onto the BOC surface. You do need the gain boost, and should it also come with improved Black levels......what's not to love at 150"? cool.gif

BOC + RS-MaxxMudd LL

................it's where 150" needs to be.

I see you already ordered your Spandex. I'll trade you some RS-MaxxMudd for it. Game? biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Probably should have mentioned that I am going for AT screen so the speakers will be behind the screen. I think the BOC is not AT. For the backlighting I am going to add a ridge to the back frame to point the led lights 90 degrees from the frame, and with a black wall hopefully that will remove any bleed through. What is a good AT backing thought o reduce the chance of light washing out from the backside?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 213
You will have to "Seal" any edging...a "ridge ain't gonna suffice. You could use "Outside Corner Trim", or simply screw on 2" Lattice to the Frame and then Caulk the edge that toughes the Wall with a very Dark Gray Caulk.

But ve advised that there is no "AT material that will provide anything acceptably "AT" and that would still be thich and dense enough to mask out any appreciable light that finds it's way behind the screen and reflects off the wall. Painting the wall a very, very dark Gray would help...but keeping all light from behind the screen is the best solution.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #7 of 8 Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Hi ,
i was just wondering if you got your screen built yet and how it turned out? i am in the planning phases of making a 150 inch diagonal 16x9 spandex milliskin screen , using an benq 1080p projector

thanks
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Not quite there yet. Contractor is working a little slower than expected. Just had the drywall installed and am probably a month away from getting to start setting up my HT. can't wait to get started. The more time I have to read what others are doing the grander my plans.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page