1.0 Gain screen on eBay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In looking for material for my DIY screen, I've come across some on eBay that is advertised as screen material, not BOC, with a gain of 1.0. Fiberglass with PVC coating. Anyone else use this? I'm hesitant without reviews (love Amazon for that). They are sending me a sample, but curious if anyone else has tried this. I'm looking at doing a 100" screen, and the material would be around $50, more than twice what BOC would cost, but still pretty reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM

I saw that too. Let us know what you think of the sample. I have used BOC before as we were in a rental home but now we are getting a home so something more substantial is in order.
MZ
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Will do, although my take on it will be very unscientific, and may include words like "appears to be" and "seems like". I dont have any test equipment except for the eyes in my head. For color spectrum or anything else, we would need someone like MMan (call him and he will come), but I'll do what I can. I'm also getting a sample of a screen with a 1.3 gain, which I have seen comments on, so that may be my standard.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM

I had white textured walls that was semi gloss and not very good in a rental home we were in so purchased and framed some BOC and that was 100 times better. That screen was destroyed in our move back east so now to start over again. I would like to see this material as well. How did you get a sample, I did not see a link for the sample
MZ
post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxzee View Post

How did you get a sample, I did not see a link for the sample
MZ

For the 1.3, there was a form to fill out. For the one on ebay, I had to go to the store's website and send an email.

PM sent, MZ.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 AM

Got it thanks req sent to them both.
MZ
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Been too busy between work and finishing drywall to spend much time comparing samples, but here's what I've got. I have small samples of BOC, some 1.0 gain material, and the other which is 1.3 gain. Because the samples were relatively small, it was hard to see too much difference in the materials. The first thing I did notice was that the 'grain' of the 1.0 material was noticeable to about 5 feet from the screen; about twice the distance where I seemed to loose the screen door effect. The grain of the other samples was lost much sooner. From a distance, there seemed to be a noticeable difference in the reflected light on the 1.3 material. Not surprisingly, it was brighter and the colors somewhat richer. Again, far from scientific, but the 1.3 gain material 'seemed' to perform better than both the BOC and the 1.0 material. It is a good bit more expensive, but still far cheaper than any purchased screen I can find. So, I am leaning toward the 1.3. I feel that I can build a really good screen with it for much cheaper than what I would spend to buy a pre-built.

I would love to hear what anyone else may have found.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on the samples. I find that the 1.0 white from Pro Screens do also look the grain is like a screen door and shows up, where the 0.8 grey and the 1.0 white from Pro Theater was a much finer pattern and becomes almost invisible immediately upon moving back to a few feet. The Pro Screen is more reflective than the BOC but still the same pattern. I think the white from Pro Theater is the one ill be getting as soon as we are ready to set the room up.

MZ
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Guys, this continuing discussion about Mfg Screen materials is inappropriate on DIY Screens.

I know that on Screens, many times posted entreaties about the less appreciated "Off market" Mfg Screen materials are ignored. However that is where any posting about Mfg Screen material specifically intended for use as a projection screen belongs. The building of a Frame to accommodate such does not in itself qualify as a DIY Screen project in the truest sense of what we advocate on this Forum, and as obvious in the content of the postings above, not much is being discussed about anything but the Mfg Screen material anyway. That is how these Threads run......

PMs are out to both with affordable suggestions relating to this subject (...regarding Mfg screen material choices...not DIY Screens posting ethics...) because it's understood that the posts are intended to help, not hinder DIY, and are themselves deserving of answers.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM

I apologize for the post, and will refrain from naming specifics again. This site has helped me and gave me ideas I never thought of and did not realize what I was doing openly. Will use pm for that in the future.
MZ
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hey....that's OK! As stated, it was plain that the postings were intended to be of a helpful and informative nature. Just misplaced is all.

Your cool. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page