Doing and mounting DIY "Zero Edge" Screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to get new projector and ambient screen for my next apartments living room. I'm planning to do similar looking screen with no frame as DNP Supernova Blade:

DNP Supernova Blade
DNP Supernova Blade installation at AVS

Or screen with small under 10mm frame like Black Diamond Zero Edge:

http://i.imgur.com/1gqZpAh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FMPnz23.jpg

As I'm living in Europe I think my only choise for paint is Black Widow or have any Europeans done Silver Fire paintings?

What material do you suggest for the screen?

Is there good way to mount the screen on the wall in the same way flat tv's are mounted? I would prefer the screen to be few cm's off the wall to get that "floating" look. The way DNP screens are mounted is very ugly. I don't want screws going through my screen.

If I go with DNP route with no frame at all, should I just paint the sides and back with same paint or do you have some other suggestions how to make the screen look the best? DNP Blade has black sides:

http://www.dnp-screens.com/Files/Billeder/DNP08/Products/Blade3_large.jpg
http://www.dnp-screens.com/Files/Billeder/DNP08/Products/Blade5_large.jpg

Not sure if black sides would be better. Sides with same color as front would be easier to paint at least.

If I go with BD Zero Edge route with small under 10mm frame, what kind of frame should I do?

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 11
Take a look at this tread by MM that might point you in the right edge less direction. And I have done a silverfire screen that you will find in my one and only thread biggrin.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rengep View Post

Take a look at this tread by MM that might point you in the right edge less direction. And I have done a silverfire screen that you will find in my one and only thread biggrin.gif

This seems to be the only part in that thread that answer to some of my questions:

"Sintra is hung on a 2x4 Flame with PowerGrab Panel-Trim adhesive"

Sinatra is some kind of PVC panel? That is prefered material for "Zero Edge" screens? What does 2x4 flame mean? The screen is mounted with some glue thing?
post #4 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sintra is the brand name for a closed cell rigid PVC foam that is used for signs primarily but makes an excellent substrate for a painted screen. Other brand names are Komatex and Celtec.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

I guess those are american brands.

It seems that here in Finland people have used 3mm PVC boards to make screens and then painted them with Black Widow and some people even use double sided tape to mount the screen on the wall since the screens are so light. The materials used mostly are called "kapa board" and "forex board".
post #6 of 14 Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone used aluminium boards for DIY screens? They sell boards called "bibond" and "dilite" here and those are 3mm. Looks a lot like DNP Supdernova Blade. 0,2mm aluminum surfaces and the inside material is PET. Would this work well?
post #7 of 14 Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
can't be beat.
best possible and most durable available solution out there.
for most, it's just not an affordable or accessible option... so it's little talked about in diy.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Dilite costs about 50% more than Forex/Foamex. Dibond costs about twice as much as Forex. In this video you can see both Dibond and Forex. The black (5mm) Forex looks pretty nice too. I think you can get Forex in 3mm too.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I have used the black board before and it works great.... however depending on the mix that you choose to paint with sometimes it requires that you prime the surface with white primer.

I am traveling at present so I cannot respond in enough detail at present to help you with your floating screen build, but you can be assured that if you use the rigid aluminum waffle core material, I will soon be able to show you how you can hang them on the wall without any visible screws.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #10 of 14 Old 04-07-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I have used the black board before and it works great.... however depending on the mix that you choose to paint with sometimes it requires that you prime the surface with white primer.

I am traveling at present so I cannot respond in enough detail at present to help you with your floating screen build, but you can be assured that if you use the rigid aluminum waffle core material, I will soon be able to show you how you can hang them on the wall without any visible screws.
Hi MM. Updates on the mounting method?
post #11 of 14 Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

I can get Dibond here too. First place I looked had these prices:

Dibond white/aluminium 3x1250x2500mm = 90€
Dibond Digital 3x1500x3050 = 80€
Dilite 3x1500x3050 = 60€

Forex (foam pvc) is 25€

No idea which would be best. All of them can be get in 2mm and Forex in 4 and 5mm too.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by onse View Post

I can get Dibond here too. First place I looked had these prices:

Dibond white/aluminium 3x1250x2500mm = 90€
Dibond Digital 3x1500x3050 = 80€
Dilite 3x1500x3050 = 60€

Forex (foam pvc) is 25€

No idea which would be best. All of them can be get in 2mm and Forex in 4 and 5mm too.

The Aluminum [Wafer Construction] panels all weight considerably more, and would involve adhering a wood / or metal French Cleat-style 1.5" stand-off frame that would interface with a securely mounted "opposing" French Cleat on the wall. Also, the Enameled Coatings on the Dibond-etc panels require a carefully applied finish consisting of multiple very light dustings of the chosen paint. I've done 'em, and unless the panels are securely applied to a Flat surface with lots of proper adhesive, they present more potential for creating issues.

5mm Foam PVC is my personal Choice

You haven't mentioned wanting any Back Lighting so that helps simplify the situation.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #13 of 14 Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Foam PVC sounds good since it's also the cheapest smile.gif Why 5mm and not 3mm (3mm seems to be the popular choise people use. everyone has some kind of frame in the screen though)? Is it ok if I get black foam PVC board? Since I'm not going to have frames on the screen it would look nice if the screen had black sides and back. Should I paint the front of the screen white first in this case?

I am not adding back light.

looking foam PVC pictures from google and I'm not sure how "professional" the sides of the screen will look without frames. I don't want that the screen has cheap look...
post #14 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

3 mm is quite "floppy" requiring substantial support, support that had better be done correctly.

I have used "Black"...in fact I just completed a 114"er done on Black PVC that was spray primed with White Gripper primer.. One could maski off 1/4" around the edges, spray the "center", and have a screen that looks identical to the "Mfg. Zero Edge" examples.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page