Failing at Black Widow Paint Need Guidance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello:

I recently tried to build my own projection screen and ran into a serious problem when trying to get a good ambient screen paint mix...aka Black Widow. My screen is a 115", 16:9 ratio. I am using 3/4" MDF for this screen. What I am trying to achieve is a screen that works decent in ambient light. The room does have several windows but all of them have cordless blackout shades that I can pull down if need be. In other words the room can get pitch dark if needed. I really don't want to sit in the dark with my buddies to watch college football...makes the atmosphere a little weird. This is what I did....please tell me what I did wrong.

I gave the MDF sheet 3 coats of high quality primer and made sure it was roller mark free using a 1/4" nap roller. Then I went to Menards and gave them a picture of the paint number for Pittsburg paint Bermuda Beige that I wanted. I tried to attach the picture I gave them. The number on the can he gave me was 427-2 which I thought was correct with grand distinct flat as a base I believe. But the Red/Yellow/Brown Oxide numbers were different. Can they be different, the store said that was a quart of Bermuda Beige?

P7224870small.png 296k .png file

Then I ordered 2-4oz bottles of Auto-Aluminum from Amazon. They were labeled 4101-4Z Fine.

I mixed the quart of Bermuda Beige with the 2 bottles of Auto-Aluminum. Mixed it thoroughly with an electric drill and accessory. Now here is the main problem. The final paint color is not grey. I wouldn't even consider it much different than from the quart of Bermuda Beige. Very little darkening if any at all.

I mixed 1 quart of Bermuda Beige with 8 fl oz of Auto-Aluminum Fine.

Please tell me what I did wrong. I can repaint if need be but its starting to get a little expensive.

Thank you for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: png P7224870small.png (296.1 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwa2child View Post

Hello:

I recently tried to build my own projection screen and ran into a serious problem when trying to get a good ambient screen paint mix...aka Black Widow. My screen is a 115", 16:9 ratio. I am using 3/4" MDF for this screen. What I am trying to achieve is a screen that works decent in ambient light. The room does have several windows but all of them have cordless blackout shades that I can pull down if need be. In other words the room can get pitch dark if needed. I really don't want to sit in the dark with my buddies to watch college football...makes the atmosphere a little weird. This is what I did....please tell me what I did wrong.

I gave the MDF sheet 3 coats of high quality primer and made sure it was roller mark free using a 1/4" nap roller. Then I went to Menards and gave them a picture of the paint number for Pittsburg paint Bermuda Beige that I wanted. I tried to attach the picture I gave them. The number on the can he gave me was 427-2 which I thought was correct with grand distinct flat as a base I believe. But the Red/Yellow/Brown Oxide numbers were different. Can they be different, the store said that was a quart of Bermuda Beige?

P7224870small.png 296k .png file

Then I ordered 2-4oz bottles of Auto-Aluminum from Amazon. They were labeled 4101-4Z Fine.

I mixed the quart of Bermuda Beige with the 2 bottles of Auto-Aluminum. Mixed it thoroughly with an electric drill and accessory. Now here is the main problem. The final paint color is not grey. I wouldn't even consider it much different than from the quart of Bermuda Beige. Very little darkening if any at all.

I mixed 1 quart of Bermuda Beige with 8 fl oz of Auto-Aluminum Fine.

Please tell me what I did wrong. I can repaint if need be but its starting to get a little expensive.

Thank you for the help.

You will not get much help with Black Widow on this forum. Check HomeTheaterShack. The BW guys are hanging out there these days
post #3 of 4 Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
did you follow the recommended paint formula for BW?
i'm not up to date on the latest BW components... but last i recall Pittsburg Paints was not as a base for bermuda beige.

you could take a paint chip to 6 different home depots to be color matched and you'd likely end up with 6 different visible color shades. and without a doubt you get six different results if you used pittsburg paints instead of vaspar, or sherwain williams, or dutch boy, or behr... etc.

so follow the recommend paint company and base version to a T.

and best of luck to you/
post #4 of 4 Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
---IMPORTANT---

The creators of Black Widow just found out that the maker of the Auto-Air Colors Aluminum Base Coat have changed the formula from a liquid aluminum additive to a powdered one, and that mixing it with Bermuda Beige no longer works.

aiwa2child,

looking at the UPC code on the label, you can tell if the AAA formula you got is the new or the old one, for example in this image, the code is WDNB28-84B5:

What code does appear on yours?
Closed Thread DIY Screen Section