Gorilla's 130" 16:9 AT screen (and false wall) build - XD fabric, custom frame, grommet/o-ring tensioning - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 478
I will probably wind up treating 6' back since my screen is indeed close to the ceiling. The tape over the grid is a great idea. What about something like this:

http://www.tapebrothers.com/Pro-Gaff-Black-Gaffers-Tape-1-x-55-yards-p/pgbk1.htm
Gorilla83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-13-2013, 05:35 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 19,722
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I will probably wind up treating 6' back since my screen is indeed close to the ceiling. The tape over the grid is a great idea. What about something like this:

http://www.tapebrothers.com/Pro-Gaff-Black-Gaffers-Tape-1-x-55-yards-p/pgbk1.htm

Until Protostar has a "Best in Class" option, it'll do nicely.....ridiculously so compared to a white grid.
MississippiMan is offline  
Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 478
No need to move the posts guys, it's all good discusison. cool.gif

Very much looking forward to trying out these black 2x2 inlays for my ceiling with some tape for the grid to match. This will have to wait a few weeks though as I've got a few other projects going on at home.
Gorilla83 is offline  
Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Noman74656's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

4) To fasten the corners of the frame, I used a Kreg pocket hole jig to drill the screw holes - 2 in each corner.

What Kreg Jig kit did you use? After reading your thread, I am inspired to build my own AT screen

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Noman74656 is online now  
Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noman74656 View Post
What Kreg Jig kit did you use? After reading your thread, I am inspired to build my own AT screen
I use the Kreg Jr. setup like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-R3-Pocket...ywords=kreg+jg

Also - as an update I've gone fully black on the ceiling, grid, and most of the side walls. I've also upgraded my projector to a Sony HW-55ES. The result is outstanding!
Gorilla83 is offline  
Old 10-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Noman74656's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 68
That's awesome! I have been contemplating blacking out the front tiles since the will probably need replacing soon anyway, and the grid is already black. I really like the clean look of your setup!

Do you remember which Kreg screws you used as well?

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Noman74656 is online now  
Old 10-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Member
 
Eric the Ricer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
This gives me so much inspiration. Time to get the ball moving!
Eric the Ricer is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
michaelddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Question

I know this thread is old but I've got a question I can't find an answer to.


Does anyone (including the OP, Gorilla ) know the diameter of the O-rings Seymour sells? There are pics of them in the 1st post of this thread, in use, tensioning the screen.


I'm looking to do pretty much the exact DIY screen the OP did but I'm not paying $.59/ea plus shipping from Seymour when I can buy 2 1/2" diameter nitrile o-rings for $.12-.15/ea on Amazon. I'm just not sure of what diameter (length when using them like string) I need.


Thank you.
michaelddd is offline  
Old 12-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
michaelddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Just for everyone's info: I emailed Seymour and inquired about their rings. I got a prompt reply.


Their rings are 1" in diameter, but he couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what the durometer rating is (lower number = more stretchy). 1" diameter is a lot smaller than I thought they were, based on how far they stretch. That means they have a low durometer rating. Probably somewhere around 25, which is what rubber bands are. I ordered these from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/227-Buna-N-O-R...0AME7VADKD3K5Z


They have an outside diameter of 2-3/8" but a durometer rating of 70, which means they aren't very stretchy. This will give me approximately 1" of "loop" to go from the grommet to the post/screw. I have no idea if these will work or not. I'm pretty sure I can make it work, being that my screen isn't built yet. I do have the XD fabric though, (for a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen) with the tilted cut.


I'll have my own build thread when the time comes.
michaelddd is offline  
Old 12-10-2015, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 3,866
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
Just for everyone's info: I emailed Seymour and inquired about their rings. I got a prompt reply.


Their rings are 1" in diameter, but he couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what the durometer rating is (lower number = more stretchy). 1" diameter is a lot smaller than I thought they were, based on how far they stretch. That means they have a low durometer rating. Probably somewhere around 25, which is what rubber bands are. I ordered these from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/227-Buna-N-O-R...0AME7VADKD3K5Z


They have an outside diameter of 2-3/8" but a durometer rating of 70, which means they aren't very stretchy. This will give me approximately 1" of "loop" to go from the grommet to the post/screw. I have no idea if these will work or not. I'm pretty sure I can make it work, being that my screen isn't built yet. I do have the XD fabric though, (for a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen) with the tilted cut.


I'll have my own build thread when the time comes.
I have used zip ties on a grommet screen before and found it easy to control the tension.

They work best if you use an electrical wire staple in the frame that is left about 1/16 short of being hammered in flush, that way there is no twist in the zip tie. Grommets, zip ties and staples all can be found at the builders centers.
michaelddd likes this.


Bud


Last edited by bud16415; 12-10-2015 at 05:01 AM.
bud16415 is online now  
Old 12-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
michaelddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 131
That's a great idea, Bud. Thanks for the tip on the staples. If my oring idea doesn't work, I have the zip ties to fall back on.
michaelddd is offline  
Old 12-13-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hello Gorilla,

Many Thanks on sharing DIY Seymour XD screen frame and o-ring tensioning build, turned out Awesome!

Last edited by TheaterChad; 01-08-2016 at 05:38 PM.
TheaterChad is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey Gorilla

Looks great. I'm just starting to research building my own AT screen. Plan to do in feb/March.

What's the cost of the material?

Did you look at other options like Spandex?

What made you choose this material

Thanks

mark

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
MalevolentHamster is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post
Hello Gorilla,

Many Thanks on sharing your DIY screen frame o-ring tensioning build, turned out Awesome, and now you've convinced me to build one of my own,

I ordered some Center Stage XD material from Seymour ( 125 wide 2.35:1 ), and I am getting ready to installing the gromets ( bought the same punch kit as you did at home depot ), and going to use your idea on the wood screws as posts for attaching the o-rings,

I have made a print / drawing of some dimensions, it's attached below, I would be greatly appreciated if you could double check what I have taken from your 1st post, as it would be easier to double check these dimensions of the gromet area and the wood screw dimensions before punching the screen and finding an error.

I really appreciate you double checking this, and again, thanks for sharing your screen build, with so much helpful info!

TC
Hi thearterChad

What was cost for the material? Was the 125 diagonal or horizontal?

I'm looking at doing 120 (diagonal) 1:2.35 or 1:2.39

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
MalevolentHamster is offline  
Old 12-22-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
Hey Gorilla

Looks great. I'm just starting to research building my own AT screen. Plan to do in feb/March.

What's the cost of the material?

Did you look at other options like Spandex?

What made you choose this material

Thanks

mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
Hi thearterChad

What was cost for the material? Was the 125 diagonal or horizontal?

I'm looking at doing 120 (diagonal) 1:2.35 or 1:2.39
Hey Mark,

I can give you some feedback on Millskin Matte Spandex, I built a 110" diagonal spandex screen with regular silver as my main layer and white as the top layer, and it worked very well, I was using a Panasonic AE4000U with only 350 hours on the original bulb, it didn't quite have enough foot lambers to light up that screen, spandex is at most .7 gain, where the Seymour AV-XD material has between 1.0 and 1.1 gain,

I upgraded to the Panasonic AE8000U, and it was night and day lighting up the spandex, I probably didn't need another screen, but I wanted a much larger 2.35:1 image, and I wanted it to look the best it could be, so I went with Seymour's XD, 125 wide, 135" diagonal, DIY fabric, and I got 66 O-rings, to fasten the screen using gromets. I think spandex is good material if you going for a budget screen build, I will see what the difference is, with doing some screen tests of my own.

Just give Jon Kaisand a call at SeymourAV, he helped me out, took down my info on what I wanted, I also had the screen "Tilted / angled " cut to size for the Frame I'm making myself, he will calculate exactly what you will need, I called and placed my order two weeks ago, and it only took 2-3 days, very fast shipping, and awesome help!, just so you get an accurate price with shipping to where you are located, I would highly recommend giving Jon a call.
MalevolentHamster likes this.
TheaterChad is offline  
Old 12-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post
Hey Mark,

I can give you some feedback on Millskin Matte Spandex, I built a 110" diagonal spandex screen with regular silver as my main layer and white as the top layer, and it worked very well, I was using a Panasonic AE4000U with only 350 hours on the original bulb, it didn't quite have enough foot lambers to light up that screen, spandex is at most .7 gain, where the Seymour AV-XD material has between 1.0 and 1.1 gain,

I upgraded to the Panasonic AE8000U, and it was night and day lighting up the spandex, I probably didn't need another screen, but I wanted a much larger 2.35:1 image, and I wanted it to look the best it could be, so I went with Seymour's XD, 125 wide, 135" diagonal, DIY fabric, and I got 66 O-rings, to fasten the screen using gromets. I think spandex is good material if you going for a budget screen build, I will see what the difference is, with doing some screen tests of my own.

Just give Jon Kaisand a call at SeymourAV, he helped me out, took down my info on what I wanted, I also had the screen "Tilted / angled " cut to size for the Frame I'm making myself, he will calculate exactly what you will need, I called and placed my order two weeks ago, and it only took 2-3 days, very fast shipping, and awesome help!, just so you get an accurate price with shipping to where you are located, I would highly recommend giving Jon a call.
Thanks TheaterChad. Very helpful indeed. If the Seymour is under $1000 for 120-130" (sounds like it is), I'll probably go with that.

One question about the o-rings and grommets. how precise do you need to be with the spacing between the grommet and the screw, to get exactly the correct tension? I've heard of people using tie wraps instead. Would that be easier in your opinion?

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
MalevolentHamster is offline  
Old 12-22-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
Thanks TheaterChad. Very helpful indeed. If the Seymour is under $1000 for 120-130" (sounds like it is), I'll probably go with that.

One question about the o-rings and grommets. how precise do you need to be with the spacing between the grommet and the screw, to get exactly the correct tension? I've heard of people using tie wraps instead. Would that be easier in your opinion?
I will send you a PM to go into more detail,
TheaterChad is offline  
Old 01-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Nice job. what size o-rings did you use?

Anything specific to look for on o-rings

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
MalevolentHamster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off