FYI - Behr Silver Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
These are pics of my screen in my "temporary" projector room (we are moving back to Oklahoma this summer, so it's temporary). The walls are Antique White, the ceiling is white and the floors are Terra Cotta tile - not the best scenario for a projector! The screen is 98" diagonal. The projector is an Epson Powerlite 707 (2700 lumens, 3000:1) at about 11ft =/- throw. The screen started life as a piece of 949 White Formica and it was decent with a lower lumen projector. When I installed the 707, it was just too bright, even in "Eco" mode with the brightness dialed back. I wanted a darker screen, and since this one is temporary, thought that Silver Screen would be a quick fix. 2 coats of Silver Screen with the primer in it directly over the Formica later, this is what I ended up with. (I sampled a couple of the "screen paints" available from online retailers but I didn't see that they worked any better for me, and they were much more expensive). My thoughts on the Silver Screen - for a cheap ($17/qt), quick screen, it's not too bad . My references are the BOC screens I've built and used, a couple of RS Maxx Mudd LL screens I made for my grandkids and their 1000 lumen dvd/projector all in ones. I like the SS better than the BOC but it doesn't come close to the RSMMLL. The pictures were taken noon at in sunny Phoenix. You can see the light in the room through the blinds. The screen images are not great, but they are certainly watchable. These are just my thoughts for those of you thinking about using SS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I think ya done gud fer $17.00. cool.gif

There are times when such ultra simple and inexpensive solutions are very appropriate, and you certainly make a good case for such with your temporary but perfectly serviceable screen.

The SS combined with your Light Cannon shows how a well balanced & common sense approach can work very well indeed.

Now when all ya all get on back to Oklahoma, don't go lookin' online for Screen paint. We got'cher back iffin' ya come on back. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM. In October 2011, I finished rebuilding the interior of the house after the flood of 2010, so all I have to focus on is my screen (at least that's what I tell my wife!) It will be in a multi-purpose room, so I'll post pics of the room before I do anything. I'm not sure if I'll use this projector or get something a little higher end. We only use the projector for movies and special events, so it may be hard to convince the finance manager that I need something "better". BTW - you gave me some pointers on screens for an Optoma DV10 - all any of us could say after we saw the images was "DAMN!!!" Tween kids and they have a better screen than I do. Oh well, that's what grand parents do,
post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
...i mean... ...REALLY NOW?!... ...where is the love? mad.gif

anyways... i've been looking into a lower cost RS-MM & LL... alternative components and this is the thx that i get.

phoey! i'm taking my sub $35 RS-MM mixes and going home.tongue.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

PB - My bad! eek.gif No disrespect - I just meant that MM pointed me in that direction, that's all. It doesn't change the fact that the RSMMLL screens got a major DAMN! when we fired off that little projector. I wish I had pics but my laptop was stolen before I got them posted. I'll have to get more pics next time I go to CA, I think my son in law is using the outdoor screen all the time. He is a huge (I mean he really enjoys) sports and even in 854 x 480 resolution, that 90" screen looks much better than the 42" flat screen in the family room. As for my temporary screen here, it's going to a friend of mine to replace his 52" DLP in his living room. He will be using an Optoma Pro 150S (800 x 600, 2800 lumens, 3000:1) as his daily driver. We auditioned it on this screen and it looks much better than his white board screen he had been using. I told him I wanted to try one of the Silver Fire formulas for him (I wanted the practice) but he wants this screen, so it will live on.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
smile.gif another white screen bites the dust!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page