What substrate to use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am moving into my new house soon and will likely be putting a projector down the basement. I was hoping to have a screen ready and painted before moving as I'm sure it will be too hectic to bother with painting a wall for a while. So I'm looking for a substrate I can paint and take with me to the house and just hang/screw to the wall.

I have most major home improvement retailers near me (Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, etc.). Just from some online searching the only thing I've found is some OSB board. Is there a different alternative? In other threads I see reference to other materials that are very smooth already and easy to paint (the OSB would probably need sanding?). Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Hi.

I hope your near Winnipeg.

Laird Plastics
8 plymouth st
winnipeg, MB R2X 2V7
Manager:Doreen Bilodeau
Phone:800-665-7545

Ask for Sintra (...or Komatex) in 6 mm thickness. Ask for a sheet that has at least one side completely flawless.

You don't mention the size screen you hope for, Your Projector of choice, nor what your Theater will be designed around or outfitted, so no help now on choosing your paint / method.

However the bigger the screen, the Mo' Bedder it would be to attach it to the wall and paint it "in place' before you actually move in your stuff. How easy is your access into the basement? Where would you paint the screen at, and how would you transport it?

Masking off an area with plastic, spraying (...or rolling...) and getting it all done in a day is not just do-able, it's really the only sensible way to go about it.

But "sensible" isn't always possible, I know. I deal with DIY'ers enough to know that term is often not in the vocabulary. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep I am in Winnipeg!

To be honest most of the particulars are sort of up in the air at this point. I am pretty sure on the projector.... a BenQ W1080ST. The basement isnt especially long (maybe 12' but seating would be at the 8-9' mark likely) so I'm not looking at going too big. I would say maybe 70-85" or so?

For now I'm looking at just painting with the Sherwin Williams ProClassic as per the article on ProjectorCentral. This is not likely to be my permanent screen but just something quick/easy/portable so I can be up and watching as soon after moving in as possible.

My end goal is to actually relocate the home theater to a larger area and at that point I'd be looking at doing one of the more advanced screens.

Given that I'd be doing a pretty basic paint job I'd probably be painting the screen at my apartment and then having the screen and projector with me when I move in.

Thanks for the info on where to get a good substrate!
post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
You cannot use the 1080st on a white screen of at/under 85" without suffering from Xerox-ed Eyeballs. eek.gif

At 85" and at the furthest throw available for that size, you'd still be getting a huge 41 foot lambert of reflected brightness! 15 fls is standard for a Theater setting, and 19-21 fls for very moderate ambient light.

You'd be getting "Well Lit Classroom Presentation PJ" brightness, and that Sir would also grossly affect your Black rendition, and send light bouncing off every room surface like they were back-lit.

You need to mix the SW paint with a Neutral Gray of approx .80 gain or less, and run the BenQ on Low lamp. Even then, you'd be well advised to go to some extra lengths to offset the amount of light that will come off the screen by painting the Ceiling and Side walls the same shade of Gray as the screen.....minimally. Better still....2x-3x- darker...in a Interior Enamel Flat.

Lastly, please be aware that the 1080 has no Lens shift, and only a tine amount of Image Offset, so unless you want to be required to place the PJ at the same height as the Top edge of the screen, or use Keystone Correction because you were forced to tilt the PJ several degrees, I'd be the first to suggest you instead jump up to 100" diagonal (24 fls @ 6' throw and .80 gain)

Bigger is better....especially if your a Gamer. Otherwise, chose a similar PJ with Vertical Lens Shift (BenQ 1070) and place it further back.(10') That will actually be good because it will remove the PJ from being in front of your viewing position.

Whatever screen size you do choose, have the boys at Laird cut it to size for your selected Diagonal size (98" diagonal = 48" x 85") or go smaller (90" diagonal ) and have the sheet cut 48" x 82" and use the extra 2" on all sides to allow you to screw the screen directly to the wall.. Apply Trim over the 2" area to Cover the Screws and your all set.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I've read lots of reviews and out of the box on default settings it pumps out a ton of light but you can adjust the settings to low lamp and eco mode to really take the brightness edge off.

I will probably ceiling mount it in front of the seating area which I almost prefer as that way if someone has to get up and cross the room they wont walk in front of the projector and block the image.

The W1070 is my preferred choice but not sure I can make it work with the room I will be in (ceiling is low at the back due to duct work).

Unfortunately until we get possession I cant determine what my PJ options are but given the size of the room and its limitations I was leaning towards the 1080 and having it ceiling mounted.

If I can make the 1070 work I will likely go with it as when I get the larger area setup I'll easily be able to accomodate the longer throw
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page