First timer and new to DIY Screen - "Attempting" to build a 150" with unique conditions curious if this can even be done. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone any help in this matter would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED! I will give a quick rundown on this as well. New to projectors entirely. I initially had one of those white van scam projectors and that alone I thought was awesome. Well after stumbling upon AVS (which I now consider a little piece of heaven on earth) and learning and reading for a couple months. I ended up with an Optoma GT750e for price, uses and more, it just perfectly fit my needs. I was and still am completely and utterly blown away with the quality along with just about all of my friends.

I currently live in an apartment and my living room is just open and wide. I am currently projecting this on a white wall to 150" 16:9 me and the better half were trying 135" (for cost purposes) but it is just not the same as 150" we sit about 15'-17' away from the screen. Actually I could deal with the 135" she decided on the "NO it must be 150".

Anyway since this is an apartment I was looking at a manual pull down screen but a screen of this size I am extremely fearful of getting waves or wrinkles. I looked at tensioned screens but those are just ridiculously priced in my opinion at the size I want. The plan is to paint the walls a deep darkish red which will match the decor and colors in the apartment as well as tone it down from the bright white walls and ceiling to overall get two birds in one stone. The ceiling will remain white. This is a light controlled room.

The wall itself has many imperfections and is uneven (old building). We cannot paint until a screen is up and the problem is I really do not want to pay $1200+ for a tensioned screen my idea is this.... please let me know if the below would work at all.

I plan on suspending the screen from the ceiling and I mean almost flat and I will have some type of picture covering the backing of the screen so it doesnt look like some big thing just suspended in the middle of my living room. I would be using some type of chains and hooks to hold it up. I would need to make sure the screen is not too heavy for raising and lowering, would be a swinging motion to lower it for viewing. I was thinking on using some type of brackets so the screen does not swing back and forth when lowered even though there is no real wind gusts inside.

Has anyone ever tried or heard of anyone doing something like this? How would could it effect my viewing? Any suggestions on materials? OR ideas? I am open to everything I would prefer not to go over $500 on materials but if I can make this work and get awesome quality I would definitely be willing to throw in more. I have pretty much most and all tools at my disposal through a friends shop.

PLEASE HELP! ANYONE!? KNOWLEDGE FOR THE UN-INFORMED/ARMS FOR THE POOR? J/K I only need knowledge. Either way thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Here is what it looks like on the wall. This was actually as big as it could go which was 169" I am planning on moving the equipment below to the right side corner of the room to accomodate my screen and build. Sorry the pic is not the greatest in the world. I barely got the projector and I was pumped. I took the pic with my iphone my really old iPHONE.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've seen at least two examples of people folding their screens to the ceiling on these boards. Here's one I found http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422931/fold-up-frame-screen-disguised-as-ceiling-lamp-motorized-masking. The other one I remember is probably somewhere in those home builder threads.
romero1330 likes this.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! Very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rengep likes this.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page