150 inch spandex milliskin screen on a benq W1080ST projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was wondering if i could get some advice, i am not an audio / video phile by trade. but i tinker.. i just got a benq 1080p projector and absolutely love it. i currently have it setup in my basement. its projecting on the the back white masonry ( stucco looking) wall. its at 150" and its just great.. floor to ceiling coverage.. my only issue is since, the screen is floor to ceiling , i have no where to place the speakers.. ( 7 kef eggs hts2001, driven by a pioneer sc-1522 from costco, and a SVS 12 inch cylinder subwoofer, the basement is about 20 feet wide from end to end. and the couch is about 12 feet away. ( this can be changed) on far back wall i have a precor ellipitcal and a treadmill and an exercise bike.

what i was thinking of making was a spandex milliskin screen . the reason for this is AT , i could put the speakers behind the screen. i dont want a science project here, just want to set it up and enjoy.

i appreciate everyones help. and time , for any response.

my question is how much fabric would i need for a 150" inch diagonal screen, 16x9 and what color should i get , i know MATTE is preferred., also what color should the back wall be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 509
How wide does milliskin come?

Beware, some people have ordered 3 yards and they get 2 + 1 yards. Make sure you ask for a full un cut length when you order.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

How wide does milliskin come?

Beware, some people have ordered 3 yards and they get 2 + 1 yards. Make sure you ask for a full un cut length when you order.

I ordered 4 yards, and asked specifically for it to come in a roll. This was done via a Phoned In order

Anything sent other than a uncut length of requested would be a error expected to be corrected.

I believe the width is 54".

A 150" diagonal is 73" x 130"

The 4-Way Spandex from Spandex World is 80% Spandex, so it will easily stretch out the needed 18" (13" for screen 5" for Spline-ing or Stapling)
The TS/OP needs 4 yards for each layer.
In the Photo below, a 2.35:1 screen of 135" is shown with Silver Milliskin draped inside
(135" @ 2.35:1 = 52" x 125")

..................and now the White Milliskin stretched over the Top:

Here are images with a White Milliskin remnant laying across the finished, White Milliskin surface. You will note the difference in shading.
(Silver Milliskin second layer "grays" the white)

Cross-pixelation* notwithstanding, the dual spandex produces a spectacular image.
(PJ is a Panny 8000 at minimum Throw)

*The whole premise behind this "speculative" issue is that there would be actual pixel transfer from the rear back into/onto the front surface...which would have to depend on the production of the individual Pixel grids on the second surface....something this is not going to happen after the absorbed light is scattered.

The use of Black behind Mfg AT screens is for one purpose alone. helping the appearance / perception of contrast. And for it to wok, it must be directly against the AT material, and be totally non-absorbent. That is to say light that hits it scatters, not pass through.

Silver, by determinations I have made, serves to deepen the color of the returning light, but with no shifting. Intensity is lessened, but the the net effect is no different than using a Light Gray screen instead of a white one.....with the resulting benefits...and caveats depending if one fails to accommodate it's strengths.

I'm not sure where the idea....or demand that Spandex perform as well as a solid surface in either minutely observed clarity or reflective luminosity.. I mean really....such a issue has always existed with woven, Mfg Screens and just slightly less in Perforated Screens, owing to their available reflective area between the perforations..... which of course heralds Morie all to often. Talk about REAL pixelation issues!

Gee...ya know of course that Spandex is HIGHLY Morie resistant.

I don't think much of the supposed "failings" of Spandex will hold up very well against the reported successes that many will present.

Just say'in......

Over and over and over and over and over again...of course. wink.gif

Nothing wrong with these White over Silver Spandex screenies.

Lastly Craig5571, if you construct a frame where you wrap the the Silver Milliskin Spandex , spin it around and hang it so it lays directly and firmly against the White wall, you can go with just a single layer.

I'd try that first...because it might be a step saver, and if not, well the next step is to overlay the Silver with the White in any case.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 6 Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you very much!,

i was thinking of possibly hanging this screen from the basement ceiling studs, ( unfinished basement) about a foot away from the wall, the reason for this is for accoustical transparency , right now my kef eggs (hts 2001) are on the basement floor ( fronts and center), and i would like to raise them up. if i mount the screen on the wall i will have no place to put the speakers except on the floor.

What height should my speakers be at for a 7.1 setup?

so given the choice of mounting the screen on the wall and the speakers on floor, or hanging screen about a foot from wall and putting speakers behind screen . which would be the best option?
also, if i dont mount it against the wall , should i do a second layer of spandex? or i could paint the back wall to whatever was necessary... totally open to ideas..

again, none of my plans are set in stone, and im sure there are better ideas, i welcome all advice...
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 216
You can use two layers of Spandex and go AT with no worries. You do however want to hang the screen so it's inside surface (rear) is within 1" of the face of the Speakers.

A Silver backing with White overlay is what I used above, and what I suggest you use as well. White over White would work as well, but the w1080ST could use a bit of help "contrast-wise' and no "White on White" is a'gonna do squat in the department.

Height-wise, I'd place the R&L Speakers so they reside within the bottom 1/3rd of the screen...the4 lowest edge perhaps 6" above the bottom of the screen. You can barely "Toe-In" the Right & Left Mains. The Center should of course be "Centered".

Right & left Surrounds are placed according to both their designed dispersion and available wall space. Center Rears are place at 6'+ and each 1/3rd in from each respective side of the room on the Rear wall, or in a worst case, suspended from the Ceiling are a pitched angle toward the seating.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 6 Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

You can use two layers of Spandex and go AT with no worries. You do however want to hang the screen so it's inside surface (rear) is within 1" of the face of the Speakers.

A Silver backing with White overlay is what I used above, and what I suggest you use as well. White over White would work as well, but the w1080ST could use a bit of help "contrast-wise' and no "White on White" is a'gonna do squat in the department.

Height-wise, I'd place the R&L Speakers so they reside within the bottom 1/3rd of the screen...the4 lowest edge perhaps 6" above the bottom of the screen. You can barely "Toe-In" the Right & Left Mains. The Center should of course be "Centered".

Right & left Surrounds are placed according to both their designed dispersion and available wall space. Center Rears are place at 6'+ and each 1/3rd in from each respective side of the room on the Rear wall, or in a worst case, suspended from the Ceiling are a pitched angle toward the seating.

Craig, I have done exactly this White over wilver milliskin as MM suggested( 136 inch diagnol 16:9). We watched Life of Pi last night and it was stunning. I also have the same W1080ST projector. I also went this route for being able to put the speakers behind the screen.

My false wall is very minimal. I have used french cleat made from 8 feet stud.

Attaching couple of pics. Will do my won thread once I am done with the whole setup.

Screen:

Screen tightners:

False wall with french cleat ( if you can call that)

Closure view of french cleat

Projector screen( without the fabric) onto the fall wall

Backside view of the french cleat

For the position of the speakers, I have used the same height as speakers stands sold which are 24 inches. I bought vertical speaker for center too to have all three LCR same.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page