Screen for Benq MW519 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am new here but I have been reading this section for a while now. I have MW519 pj and right now I am deciding what screen I should build. The screen will be in living room with ambient light that can't be totally blocked. It should be hanging over a couple of shelves but I am not worried about that. Projecting distance 3m (10ft), screen size little less than 2m, 78".

I have narrowed it down to 2 options:

1. Spandex on frame: I live in Canada, Alberta and local Fabricland sells 1m of spandex like fabric for $28. So getting 4m of spandex in total is more than having it shipped from spandexworld. Also not sure if miliskin or moleskin is better for screen with ambient light. Anoter issue is getting the screen tight here as I don't want to staple it to the frame permanently. I would like to have the option of changing the spandex and experiment a bit with it. But getting screen tight in Canada is impossible, at least so far for me.

2. Second option is retractable BOC. BOC is cheap here ($9 - $19 a meter) and quite a lot of white and grey tones. For my setup the grey/silver is probably the best choice right? I am thinking about doing something like in here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1106028/diy-retractable-screen-ideas-development but I am worried about the horizontal waves and I don't want to spend 10 minutes setting the screen every time I want to watch a movie.

Any ideas are welcomed. So far I am using double folded white flat bed sheet pined across a few shelves, no waves but it's not thick enough and some light goes through. Also the the image is too bright so that's why I am thinking about grey/silver screen.

Thank you very much for any advices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 AM

iaacek, did you decide on a solution?

I am pretty much in the same boat as you - except my proj is a MW516 and haven't arrived yet.
I would really rather have a retractable screen, but am having a very hard time to source anything suitable (not even talking price yet)

It seems screens available out there are either too small, or too big. Real bummer.

-Mars
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaacek View Post

Hi all,

I am new here but I have been reading this section for a while now. I have MW519 pj and right now I am deciding what screen I should build. The screen will be in living room with ambient light that can't be totally blocked. It should be hanging over a couple of shelves but I am not worried about that. Projecting distance 3m (10ft), screen size little less than 2m, 78".

I have narrowed it down to 2 options:

1. Spandex on frame: I live in Canada, Alberta and local Fabricland sells 1m of spandex like fabric for $28. So getting 4m of spandex in total is more than having it shipped from spandexworld. Also not sure if miliskin or moleskin is better for screen with ambient light. Another issue is getting the screen tight here as I don't want to staple it to the frame permanently. I would like to have the option of changing the spandex and experiment a bit with it. But getting screen tight in Canada is impossible, at least so far for me.

Thank you very much for any advices.

Spandex on a Frame seems your most likely solution, as the 519 certainly has the Lumen output.

Good 'ol Thumbtacks, spaced at 4" should do nicely. Using Poplar as the Frame, you may need a small Tack Hammer to set them all the way though.

Milliskin is preferred if only for it's far less noticeable weave, AT considerations notwithstanding. Lastly a Light Gray is propably going to be fine if the Light Silver variety is still not in stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post

iaacek, did you decide on a solution?

I am pretty much in the same boat as you - except my proj is a MW516 and haven't arrived yet.
I would really rather have a retractable screen, but am having a very hard time to source anything suitable (not even talking price yet)

It seems screens available out there are either too small, or too big. Real bummer.

So...what size screen are you looking for? Bear in mind that Gray, High Contrast Retractable screens are not readily available, and when they are, the size selection is limited. To accomplish what you want i8n the size you desire, purchasing a screen then re-coating i9t might be your only viable option.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #4 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM

Is it easy to properly re-coat a retractable screen?

-Mars
post #5 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 245
It's not hard, it just needs to be done correctly.

And the results can be a far better screen than the original version.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0
Marsupial likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 PM

Your screen in that thread is awesome!

My current train of thought would be to begin by getting a 73 inch wide levolor roller shade and evaluate (learn) from there.
Would that be a good candidate for being painted when time comes?

My main concern with painting a rolled up surface was flaking, but seing the result on your screen, I figure the painted material is flexible enough so it isn't a problem. That's going to be something to think about.

-Mars
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page