PANASONIC AE7000U and 2:40.1 screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys I have the ae7000u and a 92" 16:9 screen, I am currently building a 106" 2:40.1 screen. My question is how do I go about setting up my projector??? The projector is ceiling mounted from a 8" drop sitting back 13ft from the screen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 202
The top edge of the Lens must be at or just below the Top edge of the Screen for the Lens Memory to work. (...when at "neutral;" position w/no Vertical / Horizontal Lens Shift employed.

If you do not plan to use lens Memory and auto shift between 16:9 and 2.40:1, then such mounting requirements are not necessary.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 13 Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

The top edge of lens is 14", the top edge of the screen is 10". My projector is not centered on the screen it is about 4" to the right, this is because of a ceiling fan. Also this is not a dedicated theater room it is my upstairs game room. I would have to move the picture over to the left to center. Iam not sure but I might be able to move the projector up one notch and it not be affected by the fan. The screen is not fixed to the wall it is hanging in front of a 55" plasma while watching movies. I still have the 92" screen mounted for watching 16:9 movies.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-14-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey....if the Lens is below the Top edge, no problemo! It's only bad if it is outside the Screen area.

Also, minimal use of Horizontal Lens Shift is oK...once the image is fixed, the 16:9 / 2.40:1 parameters are memorized and adjusted from that point of reference.

Of course, and as inferred, if it strive to get the Lens belpw the top of the Screen edge (...and you have...) and make effort to alighn "screen Center" with "Lens Center" as close as possible, you'll get'ter dun!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 13 Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. My screen material will be here on Monday (can't wait) and then I will give it a go. Also do I need to worry about masking when watching movies other than 2:40.1???

post #6 of 13 Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL758 View Post

. Also do I need to worry about masking when watching movies other than 2:40.1???

Only if you cannot abide the Vertical bars on each side. If they irritate, at least masking sides is imminently easier than masking Horizontal Bars. Simple Pull Curtains are a quick solution, as are Black velvet Wrapped Panels that set into each side of the Frame.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ok we'll I am having a hell of a time getting this setup. I got the new screen up 2:40.1 106". The problem is when I put a 2:40.1 movie in to set the pic I zoom the image but everything is off like if I pause there is stuff showing below the screen and on top of the screen. Also when I do adjustments from the menu on the PJ it ends up being below the screen. I can the 16:9 yo work it ends up being off center to the right about 3 inches but I can't use lense shift because it throws off the 2:40.1 image I just set. I DON'T KNOW WGAT IAM DOING WRONG!!!! Very frustrating!!!

post #8 of 13 Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Each adjustment must be set into the PJ's Lens Memory profile. When you change formats, you should get a pop up window at screen center that tells you the adjustment is being made. If you don't see that, then the data isn't being utilized and you didn't program it in correctly.

Also, if you had to use lens shift very much at all to center your image, that can affect the precision of how well the Lens memory will re-size the image.

If you did position the PJ optimally, don't fret over much. I had a learning curve to deal with myself. I even posted onto "PJs <3K" for advice and got ZIP as far as help. mad.gif Seems every owner of a Panny expects every other owner to figure it out himself.

Such is why I try to offer broad based HT advice to DIY'ers on this Forum. Sort of a "One Stop Shop" as it were. Much of what goes into planning any HT either revolves around, or leads back to PJ/Screen performance, and getting the answers needed and getting them in a timely manner is to me the most important aspect in getting involved in this stuff.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 13 Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Your help is very much appreciated!!! The biggest problem is I put a 16:9 image from cable on the screen it's good, it's off center by about 3 inches, that is with no lens shift, when I throw in a 2:40.1 move like BATTLE LA it is off to the right of the screen, when I zoom in the image to fill the screen it zooms to the left. If it is zoomed in shouldn't zoom and fill the screen and not leave the right side blank. I then have to move lens shift over to fill the screen then that throws off the 16:9 image I just set. The other issue I have is zooming in on a 2:40.1 movie leaves me with black bars above and below the screen😡when I pause the movie there is stuff showing below the bottom and top of the screen. Iam doing something right but I can figure out what it is. Is my projector not far enough away from the screen??? It seems like when I zoom to fill the screen it's all maxed out on zoom!! I don't know if iam not explaining this right

Again your help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Jason

post #10 of 13 Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think you explained it well. What is happening is the your pre memory setti8ngs are not within the limits of the Lens memory's adjust-ability.

Did you mount the PJ with the lens centered on the Screen, or the "center of the PJ" mounted at screen center? If the 2nd, how much lens shift is employed?

One of two things must happen. Either the PJ's lens must be Centered on the screen, or the correct amount of Lens Shift must be applied using the 2.40:1 Format as the guide.

The degree of Lens Shift cannot exceed 20% of available travel. That concerns Horizontal. Even less of the Vertical.

Lens memory is great, but it's use is restricted by so0me limitations.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 13 Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have to use lens shift to move the picture over about 3 inches. When watching a 2:40.1 movie on a 16:9 screen there are two black bars top and bottom, is this what it should like on my 2:40.1 screen minus the black bars??? I f I pause the movie on my 16:9 screen I see everything that I should see like the pause logo and pause bar at bottom of the screen. When I zoom the pic all that ends up off the screen and on the wall. The DVD player was set to 16:9 full I changed it to 16:9 normal and seemed to help, the pause on the bottom the screen is where it should be and not 12 inches under the screen on the wall. I think iam getting it a lot closer thanks to your HELP.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Iam still having a little trouble getting this thing set. I moved the projector over a little to help with it being on center with the screen, it is know about an inch off center and I raised it by 2 inches to put it closer to top edge of the screen. When I put on a movie that is 2:40.1 and adjust to fill the screen the black bars end up going over and below the screen. Is this normal??? Is this something I have to live with??? The picture is crisp and clean. When I bring up the menu on the PJ part of it is on the wall below the screen!!! I still don't think I am doing this right. Am I missing something???

post #13 of 13 Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

The 7000 has "Edge masking Adjustment" that will block out the visibility of those Bars. In both Formats, btw.

Have you gone through the CD that came with the PJ? Or traversed the Menu / Sub Menus on the PJ?

You must remember, the Lens Memory works so that it zooms in / out to fill the image on the screen. In 2.40:1, it doesn't change the entire pixel display's shape, nor chop off any of the unused 1980 x 1080 resolution, it merely expands the image. So the "Bars" are always there. You have to set up the Masking parameters, and poof....they will be virtually gone.

All those "Settings" are part of the Memory feature, and they all work in conjunction with each other.

.......but ya gotta read / over view all the PJ's features to know how to set them all up.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page