roll-down screen tension management? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My search of the forums don't lead to much results on screen tension management.

I am sure there's a lot of people who makes that kind of screen; what do people do against waving? Live with it?
I know, its not all that bad; but if there is anything that can be done against it, why not?

I am still new to making projection screens - am still at my first attempt. I currently use a gray 73" levelor, for an (about) 80 inch screen.

The screen is rather straight when pulled down, but does some waving/wrinkling. It is not that bad and the image does not get distorted, but it causes brightness shift at the waving areas- that's what's visible.

I know professionally tensioned screens have hyperbolic tensors on the sides of the screen, but I doubt I'd be able to efficiently replicate that on a roller-shades being that there's no extra room on the ends of the roller cylinder.

I've tried to use weights (tried with outdoors tablecloth self-clipping weights), but I don't think it makes much difference. It seems if there was more downwards pulling the waving effect would dissipate... I am thinking about making a spring mechanism on the bottom of the screen to pull the side corners.

Anyone have working strategy for de-waving screens?

-Mars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

nobody?

-Mars
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post

nobody?
|

About he only advice I can offer is to examine this thread....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430140/electric-screen-to-tab-tension-conversion-with-silver-fire-v2-5

............or you could use Cloth/Rubber Bungee cords that attach to a weight / hook on the Floor / Cabinet shelf.

Beyond that, you simply might have to live with your decision to use something that is / was less than applicable. That hurts....I know, but that can often come with DIY make-do.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've seen that thread. I am just surprised with all those DIYers making screens that nobody came up with other ideas on how to reduce the ripple effect. In the DIY world, there's no "less than applicable solutions" - only people who don't do the extra mile.
That's all I have to say on the matter.

-Mars
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post

Yeah, I've seen that thread. I am just surprised with all those DIYers making screens that nobody came up with other ideas on how to reduce the ripple effect. In the DIY world, there's no "less than applicable solutions" - only people who don't do the extra mile.
That's all I have to say on the matter.

Me, not so much.

You won't find too many people owning up to thinking DIY Project'eers don't go the extra mile...a great many quite often do, and actually tend to go much further. The Thread I linked to is a great example. You won't find any of that pro-activism in "Screens"...that fur shur!

You should take things in their proper perspective.
Of course there are / must be limitations tied directly to the decisions made before need dictates that a solution / fix is needed, one may be tied to the "DIY abilities" of the DIY'er...while another can be tied to how much it is deemed worth attempting a "Fix" on something that presents almost ungovernable issues. Ultra inexpensive, less than appropriate materials don't warrant as much attention, because frankly anyone who wants to use a Bed Sheet or Window Blind isn't gonna expect "DNP-like" results, nor spend the money / make the attempt to make a Bed Sheet or Window Blind material conform to such lofty standards. Besides....Mfg Roll Down Screens have been plagued with wrinkles / waves since their inception.

They depend upon :
  1. Your hanging them up perfectly level. Even 1- 2 degrees off will cause a fold / wrinkle.
  2. The Screen Material being cut and attached to the roller "perfectly square" or....even 1-2 degrees off will cause a fold / wrinkle.
  3. The Weighted Bar must exact enough pull to make the perfectly Plum / Level screen material pull taunt. Even a Tab Tensioned Screen has a Weighted Bar.

Mess up just one of the items...you or the Mfg...and it isn't gonna happen for ya.

That's why the more expensive Tab Tensioned Screen exist. The Tension system removes the absolute exacting need for the screen to be perfectly level.....to a very small degree, and works to create a tautness "side -to- side". You still wanna / gotta try your best to get the Screen assembly level. (...something you should check / verify about your own Roller Cradle...)

In truth, if it could be done more effectively performance -to- cost wise, (...that 'ol Extra Mile can't cost you a proverbial "Arm & Leg"...or hours of work for dubious return..) you could / would either find it yourself on AVS...or someone (...myself or another...) would tell you about it.

That such is not hardly the case at all only speaks that no one really has done so beyond the simple efforts you yourself have already done. rengep's effort is about the only such successful example I have seen...and overall....I've seen a lot of similar attempts.

Outdoor Screen advocates need to use a "Pull" system, and I don't see any reason why your situation couldn't benefit from such. Mini-Bungees. Strings or Springs. DIY is about finding ways to "DIY"....and if it comes to you as advice...that's great, and what we are here for. If you have to discover a way / method yourself...and it works, sharing your success is also what the Forum is here for.

I sincerely hope you can hit upon a course of action that suits your needs.

Perhaps now you can see why I try to avoid using any Cloth-Based material for a screen surface. Getting a nice smooth taunt surface on a fixed frame can be a little tricky, let alone such coming from a Window Blind material whose edges are not nearly as "rigid & supportive". And it's always a case where any such Cloth-Based (...or Lightweight Vinyl...) material is harder to paint on a high performance coating than would be a "solid" material. I won't use anything that has "waves" and I certainly won't install something so that is has "waves". Solids have me spoiled....solidly. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Solid sure seems to be the easiest way out, but I am certain something can be done about those waves, so I'll try to experiment. I am thinking about a lever+bungee system, rolling the whole thing around a lower cylinder and pulling perpendicularly backwards.

Then, from there I'll look if I could maybe add tabs but I doubt the ability of that rollershade to accept anything like it.

With that being said, my particular case has only a mild waving problems, and if I cannot find a suitable & affordable solution, I might not run another mile.
The main issue I have with the levelor rollershade is that the surface has visible streaks in its reflectivity, likely caused from being squeezed rolled in; it only shows at higher brightness (or brighter colors) but it is present on most the upper section of the screen.. I might put more attention to that issue than the one of waving...

-Mars
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page