post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello,

my projector is on the way to me and i bought Benq w 1070

and did not buy or chose the screen yet so i need help to build it by my self

the problem am not from us or anywhere near, am from middle east so i have to buy the materials online and ship it to my country.

paint cant be shipped so i have to look for some thing else is available on my country

could you guide me to buy materials online ? which website and what materials ?

THANK YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Hello!

Welcome to AVS!

Where exactly in the ME are you? You might be surprised how easy it is to get the raw materials you need to DIY a screen.

While many / most online vendors will not ship overseas, there are some outlets you do not find online that will. Water based paints will clear Customs in even the most draconian of Countries, leastwise that has been my experience.

Finding a suitable Substrate to paint upon locally isn't that much harder either, as most building materials that are used for such are either available or duplicated.

Don't despair. Where there is a will there is a way. smile.gif

The 100" Elite retractable you linked to on your other Thread...is that the size screen your desiring? Reducing that size just 2" will allow for the use of many different 4' x 8" sheet materials.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

am from Kuwait smile.gif

will all what i need is the screen material like "SINTRA" that you talking about in many thread and i really dont know what it is

and the silver fire painting as i understand is a color right ? so can i find it in any wall paint store ?

the rest of materials like the woods and tools will be easily find here

yes am looking for 100' or 120' screen size

MississippiMan you are the man
post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

SINTRA is :

Expanded PVC Sheeting, 6 mm thick. Smooth on both sides. White is preferred. I need to know more about your specific installation to determine if any other material might suffice.
The real difference in availability will hinge on your choice of screen size. The chances of finding a suitable substrate for a 100" screen are much greater than for a 120" screen

Silver Fire is a combination of various components, not a "color" that can be bought pre-mixed.

Kuwait is no problem. Water based paints have shipped into that local several times. It won't be difficult to find you the needed components and get them shipped to your location.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I will take 100"

Where should I start ? What to buy which website ?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-06-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

First off, a check with your local building supplier for "148.92 cm x 243.84 cm Expanded PVC Sheeting in 6 mm thickness" is in order. If that fails, then ask about any other smooth surface, paint-able board that is rigid yet light weight . Specifically ask for a material that is used by Sign Makers, as that sort of material is often ready to accept paint without the need for Priming.

Next. A decision as to spray on or roll on the paint is needed. Your stated budget should easily allow for either option, and by a long stretch, spraying will provide you with the most ideal results.

Over viewing your situation, you have a mixed bag. While your room's colors and controlled lighting do not need the help of a Ambient Light screen, the w1070's contrast could use some significant help.

First off, you should ceiling mount the PJ at a distance where the face of the Lens is at 8' -8" (264.16 cm / 2.682 m) to optimize the PJ's light output.

Now. the paint you use should have the ability to enhance / improve the viewed contrast "on screen" without unduly crushing detail or "graying-out" whites. Since ambient light isn't an issue, you have two choices. Either a light, standard neutral Gray paint, or a more advanced paint formula that is still simple and affordable, such as RS-MaxxMudd LL. The latter can be either Rolled or Sprayed.

Beyond those choices, it all becomes pretty simple and easily accommodated. The specific, hard to import paint supplies can be sent to you by a third party, while the basic ingredients can be sourced locally.
You then just mix, strain, and then either Roll or Spray.

As for mounting the board (...and that should be done before painting....) and then trimming the screen (...with Black Velvet...) we can address those specifics once you report on your success (...or lack thereof...) of obtaining a solid substrate material suitable to this application.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page