Looking for some advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings all,

I am new to the home theater game but have inherited a hand me down theater from the previous owner of the house (if you could call it a theater...way out of date!!) My best friend is all in to HT and after picking his brain he sent me here (probably so he doesn't have to deal with me)

So I am looking to remodel the room and have two old 720 projectors. I have been poking around AVS for a bit and am curious about DIY screens. Now I am wicked handy so building them is no issue. So here's what I'm curious about:

1-Which is better Spandex or Formica or....something else; cost being relative

2-Color of material...this will mainly be used to watch football....and yes Cinderella (2yr daughter)

3-Is spandex acoustically transparent enough to place speakers behind it.

Thanks ahead of time-

Charlee0620
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Charlee0620,

Welcome aboard!

Now get to work, scrubbin' the Deck!

That is to say, take a look at the Thread Board (1st two pages), and you'll find threads on all your questions.

Quick and dirty answers won't do you much good unless they are based on information

One thing that is always important and helpful....you need to provide as much information as possible about your situation / circumstances.

• What type PJs do you have / plan on using.
  • How many hours on the Lamps, and / or do you plan to replace a lamp on the one chosen and start fresh?
  • Describe the Theater's room colors (walls / ceiling / floor)
  • Seating position
  • Desired Screen size

Material choices, color of screen surface, type of build....all relate to the above. You say you have no qualms about rolling up your sleeves and gettin' it done, so be advised that doing it right involves making the right decisions, and not making any more compromises than absolutely necessary.

...........which in my reasoning means making none at all, yet doing everything as optimally, and as inexpensively as such a course of action will allow.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks MM,

As an engineer I appreciate the attention to detail and the variables that you have called to my attention, that effect the view experience, but I also like to do prelim research, which I am doing, to find out what others have done, so I not reinventing the wheel when I go to build all of this. The room is currently 26'9" x 13'8" but will be cut to create a new bedroom and a smaller theater that will be 14'1" x 13'8" and 9' ceilings. That being said here's what I have for you....which really isn't much...

PJ's--Infocus screen play 5000
--Sanyo PLV-Z4
--I don't know the time on the bulbs but do plan on replacing it when it blows (on which ever PJ I choose)

Color--The room currently has light brown matte walls and white matte everything else, which will be repainted to what ever I (meaning my wife) thinks is good.

Carpet--to hideous to describe but will most definitely be replaced.

Seating is going to be what ever we have to put in there; hopefully a small sectional

I'm thinking that if I do a screen out of Formica I will use a 4'x8' piece to avoid seams (buddy did one with a seam and it looked like felder carb) and if i go cloth I'm thinking min of 10'dig....not sure really.

But as a novice I understand I am going to have to experiment to find what I like which will differ from others. I don't mind building a couple of screens for fun.

Again thank you for the help!

Charlee0620

"its 106 miles to Chicago.....we've got a full tank of gas...half a pack of cigarettes its dark and were wearing sunglasses..................Hit it!"
post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlee0620 View Post

Thanks MM,

As an engineer I appreciate the attention to detail and the variables that you have called to my attention, that effect the view experience, but I also like to do prelim research, which I am doing, to find out what others have done, so I not reinventing the wheel when I go to build all of this. The room is currently 26'9" x 13'8" but will be cut to create a new bedroom and a smaller theater that will be 14'1" x 13'8" and 9' ceilings. That being said here's what I have for you....which really isn't much...

PJ's--Infocus screen play 5000
--Sanyo PLV-Z4
--I don't know the time on the bulbs but do plan on replacing it when it blows (on which ever PJ I choose)

Depending upon the age / performance of the Lamp that may or may not be an acceptable choice of action. The Z4 is the preferred choice, owning to both it's appreciably greater contrast and less expensive lamps. But both PJs are within 100 lumen output of each other, and at 1100 lumen "New" even the 5000 is not a bright PJ by any stretch. If the Lamp on either is more than 1000 hrs old, you'll be dealing with less than 305 of the original brightness.

That means any Screen you create will either have to be ideally suited for a very weak PJ output, or you must tolerate a dim image until you deign to replace the Lamp. Or have to. In which case I strongly suggest you NOT wait until the lamp "Blows", because if does actually "POP", and many older lamps do exactly that...because both PJs' Optics are not sealed, the resulting debris can ruin the PJ.

I think I have a old...never used Z4 Lamp laying up in a Cabinet somewhere in the Barn, PM me and it can be had for case of decent beer.
Quote:
Color--The room currently has light brown matte walls and white matte everything else, which will be repainted to what ever I (meaning my wife) thinks is good.

Get on her good side....and stay away from drab Browns and such. Some of the best looking Theaters I've seen had Dark Flat Gray ceilings and deep, Flat Blue walls w/a Greenish under cast.
Quote:
Carpet--to hideous to describe but will most definitely be replaced.

Thanks for sparing us all. Consider a dark, patterned Carpet w/no sheen.
Quote:
Seating is going to be what ever we have to put in there; hopefully a small sectional

Definitely go for comfort first. Extended versions of Films can play havoc with the Tush and Spinal Column.
Quote:
I'm thinking that if I do a screen out of Formica I will use a 4'x8' piece to avoid seams (buddy did one with a seam and it looked like felder carb) and if i go cloth I'm thinking min of 10'dig....not sure really.

Now your scaring me. A older 1000 lumen PJ and a 10' diagonal Screen? All I'm saying is that your initial results will go far toward determining your enthusiasm and appreciation of whatever you get for the money and effort expended. Based on what your relating, unless you accept you must consider a different path, my own experience is such matters speaks of a looming disappointment.

Consider using Sintra instead, cut to 107" x 60" for 120" diagonal (10') and spray coat it with RS-MM LL. That's an excellent start, one that will play to the Z4's strengths and weaknesses, and have you avoid the issues that can plague the use of Formica.
Quote:
But as a novice I understand I am going to have to experiment to find what I like which will differ from others. I don't mind building a couple of screens for fun.

Well, doing what I do for a living doesn't afford me that luxury, so I make every effort to nail down an ideally suited application the 1st time around. So that's how I roll when dispensing advice on this Forum. I suggest you do likewise, lest your significant other look at your efforts with less than a appreciative eye. I've seen things go South when people make do...or make compromises, and the resulting retrospect thinking, sour grapes syndrome, and recriminatory comments can be very depressing as far as maintaining a good feeling about what you accomplished.

I've seen it happen often enough...and it's never a pretty sight. So I avoid it like the plague. smile.gif
Quote:
Again thank you for the help!

Charlee0620

Ya gotta know...your welcome!
Quote:

"its 106 miles to Chicago.....we've got a full tank of gas...half a pack of cigarettes, its dark and we're wearing sunglasses..................Hit it!"

DIY Screen making isn't "A Mission from God", but it's a Hell of a way to getcherself some real satisfaction. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page