will 3mil Sintra be Ok and other options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
It was recommended by Mississippi Man to use 6mil Sintra and spray RS-MaxxMudd "LL"

in my area(Niagara region Canada) a local sign shop can get me Sintra in a 5 by 10 foot sheet in 3mil thick only $80 , is this a problem being it may be wavy when attached to the wall ?

He also has a 5 by 10 sheet of sandwiched aluminum painted on both sides,very stiff, white gloss and flat white on the other side $200 that he says can also be painted, it looks interesting. It can easily be cut to size using a box cutter to score the face then snapping it like drywall.Has anyone seen or used this product?

Last but not least he also has another type of board with a paper face that can be easily painted, downside it's easily dented, upside its $40:)
No more little rugrats at home so this might be worth a try.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Cheers

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
3mm Sintra is very difficult to use because it will transfer underlying surface deformations....and even irregularly applied adhesive. 6mm or nothing is my advice.

The Laminated Aluminum Sheeting is good stuff, albeit expensive. It's heavier, so it needs to be cut over sized so that screws can be used to hold it onto the wall surface, and then Trim is applied over those screws. I have used it myself, but the type your describing must be different because ain't no way the stuff I used could be scored and snapped.

The Paper laminate (GatorBoard) is not worth the effort because of it's fragility. It doesn't just dent...it can snap very easily.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mississippi Man

Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can shop around for the 6mil stuff but if need be I'll get the aluminum, he said he would cut it to size for me so I may take him up on that.
I was blown away when he cut the aluminum and just snapped it in front of me, perfect cut:eek:

Cheers

Stuart
post #4 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaria View Post

Hi Mississippi Man

Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can shop around for the 6mil stuff but if need be I'll get the aluminum, he said he would cut it to size for me so I may take him up on that.
I was blown away when he cut the aluminum and just snapped it in front of me, perfect cut. eek.gif

If he'll do it to your specifications, then that's a big asset.

BTW...I fixed your "eek". You didn't put a period on your sentence so it did not register. Just thought you'd like to know that hugely important fact.tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
What I did with my 3 mil 138" sintra screen was to make it a floating mount. It is hung only from the top, while the trim holds in the sides and bottom. The sintra can move under the trim at the sides and the bottom; that prevents distortions from minor seasonal expansion & contraction of the wall. Much thanks to pbmaxxx for the suggestion on that mounting system! My wall has a number of deformations that annoyed the hell out of me when I had a painted wall screen. The floating sintra screen shows none of those deformations. smile.gif

I can give more information on the specifics of that mount if you are interested...
post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Kirnak,

A Free Hanging assembly that works with the floppy 3 mm is actually pretty rare, but you seem to be the exception and got'ter dun .

Absolutely...provide specifics and images too, if possible. Author a "Build' Thread ! Help yur Bros' out !

Any workable application that involves the 3 mm variety of Sintra and that is documented will greatly increase the number of potential DIY'ers being able to consider such a application.

There is a big 'ol "PLEASE" here at the end. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

post #8 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

If he'll do it to your specifications, then that's a big asset.

BTW...I fixed your "eek". You didn't put a period on your sentence so it did not register. Just thought you'd like to know that hugely important fact.tongue.gif

Hi Mississippi Man

Thanks for the reply and the fix . smile.gif bit of a lost cause with computers and such, heck I don't even carry a cell phone.
I'm still looking for the 6mil Sintra I will getterdun one way or another.

Cheers

Stuart
post #9 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

What I did with my 3 mil 138" sintra screen was to make it a floating mount. It is hung only from the top, while the trim holds in the sides and bottom. The sintra can move under the trim at the sides and the bottom; that prevents distortions from minor seasonal expansion & contraction of the wall. Much thanks to pbmaxxx for the suggestion on that mounting system! My wall has a number of deformations that annoyed the hell out of me when I had a painted wall screen. The floating sintra screen shows none of those deformations. smile.gif

I can give more information on the specifics of that mount if you are interested...

Hi Kirnak thats sounds great if you could give me some information on how it is built.

Cheers

Stuart
post #10 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

I'll get pics up in a new thread later, but for now:

I had the sintra dealer cut the sintra to size. 1/2" wider than display size in width and 2.5" taller. I used two 5' strips of kiln dried hardwood, I forget the species, 5/8" thick, too make my hanging bracket for the top. I did not use a French cleat setup, because I wanted to completely isolate the screen from any imperfections in the wall. Instead, I drilled holes through the top bracket into the wall centered on studs. (This was before I mounted the bracket to the sintra. I used small screws to hold the brackets in place while drilling the holes.) I then drove 1/4" steel pins in to the studs so that the pins extended 5/8" from the wall. (The hole needs to be just tight enough that the pins are a press fit.) I then took the two bracket pieces and routed a 1/8" deep, 2" wide, groove on the face of the brackets. The brackets are then mounted to the sintra. The sintra sits in the groove, flush with the surface of the bracket. The bracket extends .5" above the top of the sintra. The Pin holes are drilled out now so that the pins can slide easily in the hole. 1/2" Styrofoam insulation is bonded to the back of the sintra both to give it some structure and to "deaden" the sintra acoustically. The back of the insulation should be flush with the back of the bracket.

Hanging the sintra is now easy, but a two person job. Pick up the sintra by the bracket and slide the bracket on to the pins. Use a couple of screws to fix the bracket to the wall. Start at the center and use a screw ONLY where a stud is and the wall already touches the bracket. In other words, if there is any waviness in the wall there will be low and high points in the wall. Don't use a screw where there is a gap between the bracket and the wall or you will introduce the wall's waviness to the screen. The pins are holding the screen up, the screws are only keeping the screen from vibrating off of the pins.

BTW, I used 2.25" wide trim; the measurements are based off of this.

You now have your screen projecting out from the wall 5/8". Mount strips of would 5/8" thick along the bottom and sides of the screen. They should be 1/4" away from the screen to give the screen room to move. This will make the strips 1.75" wide on the sides and 1.5" wide on the bottom. (The trim needs 1/4" overlap on the sides and .5" overlap on the bottom.) Wrap your trim in velvet and mount to the screen on the top and to the wood strips on the sides and bottom. I used magnets on the trim rather than nails. This allows me to easily remove & replace the trim and screen if I need too. Regardless, the trim is now holding the screen flush at the sides and bottom, but allowing the screen to move vertically. It is possible that the screen may bow out slightly in the center. Mine does about 1/4". However, even meticulously measuring test patterns, I can not discern any distortion in the picture. The bow is simply too small to have a measurable, much less visual, effect.

TIP:
Mounting the foam to the screen is a critical operation. You are created a "sandwich" material that will have more rigidity than the original. Do it wrong, and you will cause a warp in the screen. Don't try and use huge pieces. For my 67" x 120" screen I used four 67"x 30" pieces. Spray the adhesive on both the screen and the foam. Using two people, slowly lower the foam directly on to the sintra. it will bond instantly, so do it right the first time. You and your partner will need to practice lowering the foam without any adhesive till you know how to work together and what to expect. Practice till you get it spot on right every time you try. Also, you need to use the adhesive on the plastic covered side of the foam. Spraying the adhesive directly on the foam will dissolve the foam.

Tip #2:
You may want to mount magnets between the foam and the screen to use for mounting a masking system. One thing, when I painted my screen with Silver Fire, I could see faint outlines of the magnets in the paint. These outlines were invisible with a projected image, even on close inspection. With the OTS white paint I have now, the outlines are gone of course.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of how I did my screen. Pictures will have to wait just a bit... frown.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Kirnak

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, I'm really appreciative of all the help and advice all the members on this forum generously give to everyone.

Cheers

Stuart
post #12 of 12 Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 PM

I'm starting to research the Sintra material. Right now I hang my current screen in the air from the ceiling. It hangs with two attachment points. Any good way to do that with a big sheet of Sintra without it warping? Would wooden stiffeners keep it flat if hung in this way?

Thanks.

How DARE you question my ignorance!?!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page