Help Choosing paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so I am a noobie on here and I need help choosing the type/color of paint for the screen I am building. I have a Mitsubishi HC1600 that will be ceiling mounted. Also the screen will be covering a window, forgot to mention that the room this will all be in is an above garage bonus room. The main uses will be to watch football, movies, and play games. For the later two the room will be able to be completely dark, but for the football my wife and I would like some ambient light since we will be hosting to other guests. The lights will be wall mounted at the bottom of either side of the knee walls. I am trying to be as economics as possible, although if needed I will go the extra mile to get the right picture. I have been reading about Goo, Mississippi mud, and behr silver screen. Please help, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 250
MississippiMan lives in Barton, MS

Are you aware that:
  • The Mitsubishi HC1600 has a full 20" of Image Offset? I hope your Bonus Room has at least 9 foot ceilings,
  • To optimize Lumen output, the PJ needs to be set at 15' for a 60" x 107" (122") Screen? Most windows will require at least that size for total coverage
  • It would be best to have exact room measurements. Height / Width at Knee walls / Width of Center Ceiling Tray . Any Attic access above the Center Tray?
  • The HC1600 is not a Torch, nor does it sport high Contrast, so you need a paint that will provide help with Gain "AND" Black level enhancement.

You don't mention as to if there is any extensive remodeling going on, any of which might make a huge difference as to what viable suggestions can be offered.

Personally, doing what I do, a love Bonus Rooms. But they can be a challenge due to the sloping Ceiling/Roof lines and available Width. Lets hear from you again once more before any final recommendations are made, however it would point to RS-MaxxMudd LL as being the front runner as far as a good Screen paint suggestion.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

The dimensions of the room are :
Length- 16' 5.5"
Width- 8'
Knee- 4'1"
Not sure about the tray maybe 3-4 ft.
And no there is no extensive remodeling. What I plan on doing to remedy the window factor is seal it of at the top and build a skeleton for the screen with 2x4s to offset the bottom window seal. There is pretty great attic access at either side of the knee walls. There is even pretty good access across the ceiling. It's a small crawl space for A/C ducting. Oh also in the somewhat distant future I plan on paneling the ceiling with fabric to help give it a better look. The walls are a dark blue, if that helps any.

Oh sort of an off topic question
Ole Miss or State fan? Just curious
Hotty Toddy!
post #4 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Whoa,

Just 8' width?

Considering the inward slope of of the roof line, your going to be grossly limited in two things.

Screen width and height of placement.

Also, unless you plan to make a Frame that will completely cover the window, there is not chance the Screen itself will do so.

Lastly, it's a good thing you plane to do something with those white Ceiling Panels because no matter what, the top corners of any size screen chosen will be almost right up against those surfaces. So reflections off them will be intense. I suggest instead of Cloth that you consider a very Dark Slate Gray in a Flat sheen. Gray and Blue look great together, and a very dark Gray actually suppresses light reflections better than a Black-anything excepting Black Velvet and ProtoStar Telescope Flocking.

Logistically, the small size of your room, as well as the sectional seating, both combine to make you have limited choices. One good thing.....the 1600's Image Offset now works to your advantage since the bottom of any screen will be fairly low on the wall. By my "eyeball" judgement, the bottom of almost any size screen worthy of note will be at least on the same level as the arm of the Sectional seen in your image.

To determine you largest screen size, start with these measurements: 63" wide -- See just how high up on the screen / window wall you can squeeze that width and still leave at least 2" at each upper corner. Then measure down 35" and see how far off the Floor that will be.

Obviously....an alternative measurement is to simply go up to as high as possible that gives you any width greater than the aforementioned.

Do all that, then come back with the tale of the tape....be it grim or still potentially do-able.

Miss St. rules. Naturally. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

MississippiMan lives in Barton, MS

Are you aware that:
  • The Mitsubishi HC1600 has a full 20" of Image Offset? I hope your Bonus Room has at least 9 foot ceilings,
  • To optimize Lumen output, the PJ needs to be set at 15' for a 60" x 107" (122") Screen? Most windows will require at least that size for total coverage
  • It would be best to have exact room measurements. Height / Width at Knee walls / Width of Center Ceiling Tray . Any Attic access above the Center Tray?
  • The HC1600 is not a Torch, nor does it sport high Contrast, so you need a paint that will provide help with Gain "AND" Black level enhancement.

You don't mention as to if there is any extensive remodeling going on, any of which might make a huge difference as to what viable suggestions can be offered.

Personally, doing what I do, a love Bonus Rooms. But they can be a challenge due to the sloping Ceiling/Roof lines and available Width. Lets hear from you again once more before any final recommendations are made, however it would point to RS-MaxxMudd LL as being the front runner as far as a good Screen paint suggestion.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I read my paper wrong, trying to post on here and work at the same time my numbers were mixed up. The room is 12 foot wide. Also I do plan on building a frame around the screen a little different then what I've read an seen. I plan on making it out of crown molding. And my wife is going to sew custom red velvet curtains to go all the way around.

So another question I know have after reading some more stuff. Is Sheetrock good material to use, I just read about someone using Sinatra board. A follow up question if you would suggest that over Sheetrock do you know anywhere in the Olive Branch,Holly Spring, or Southaven area that might have it.
One reason why it might be easier for me is the standard 5x10 shape I could get. This way I won't have to use two sheets of Sheetrock and use compound and sand.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can be sure there is a local source for Sintra, but also be sure that your 12' width is NOT going to accommodate anything much wider than 7' across if the bottom of the Screen is at least 24" off the floor. You can verify that by measuring up 6' off the floor and then across the remaining width between the Ceiling slopes.

A 85" x 48" sheet of Sintra gives you 98" diagonal.

I have some ideas that might help to make your project into something very special. I'd be glad to stop by and eyeball the situation and take some specific measurements. But it'll cost ch'ya a Beer at Buffalo Wild Wings. cool.gif

tongue.gif

Why, I might even let you borrow My HVLP Gun !

(...better make that 2 Beers....on Tap, naturally. wink.gif )

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank man
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page