Mounting 120" Sintra Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have acquired a piece of white Sintra for my new 120" screen in the basement. I will be painting it using the RS-Maxxmudd screen mix, and curious if anyone has suggestions on the best way to mount this? I've considered a zero edge screen, but I think a black felt border will suit my needs the best for my space. I've thought about simply using the industrial strength Velcro they sell at home depot and just velcro the sucker to the wall and then trim around it?

Any help or experience on what you did would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Are your Walls Drywall?

If you want a simple solution and expect to leave the screen in place for the duration, the application of a benign Water Based Adhesive such as Power Grab Clear would be best suited.

With the Sintra applied directly to the wall, it becomes a easy job to paint it in place, then afterward simply overlay or "Butt" Trim over/ up to the edges of the Sintra.

Installing Sintra into a Frame means having a raised edge all around, so two things develop:
  • You must consider a Frame with enough protruding surface beyond to allow it to be screwed onto the wall and any Trim to be over-layed on top that area. 2" Minimum area should be provided.
  • The Frame assembly that requires a Overlapping Trim would require a French Cleat attachment method.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, the walls are drywall, and I was trying to determine the best method for painting / mounting... Was planning to paint in the garage and then move to the basement, but your comment above that it "becomes an easy job to paint in place has me considering otherwise. With the gleem sprayer, I had assumed I would need to spray first and then hang, but I guess with proper drop cloths / plastic, that would make it easier.

Anyone ever used a velcro option? not sure why, but that seems really simple to me with the relatively light weight sintra. Then again the adhesive would be just about as simple ( I think the chances of me moving my screen are slim to none in the next 10 years, but thought of it being removal appeals to me. Perhaps a frame is the better option, but that seems like to much trouble when i can simply butt the frame up to the edges.
post #4 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

The issue with velcro is the thickness of the Heavy Duty variety will make the Sintra stand off the wall almost 1/4", and because you'd need to place sizable sections at a minimum 16" apart around the perimeter, it's gonna cost a pretty penny.

Consider also that once it is hung, any attempt at removal will cause the velcro's adhesive to release of one surface or the other, or pull paint away from the wall. So it had better get hung right the first time.

Adhesive like Power Grab has a bit of initial re-position-ability, and from my experience once dried, if the Sintra is pried up, the Power Grab tends to release off the Sintra first, then what is on the Wall can be scraped or rolled off, being Water based Elastomeric-type adhesive. The real trick being to apply enough over a very large area so the whole Panel has sufficient "sheer" resistance.

Liquid Nails....not even. You'd tear off Drywall paper "and" almost assuredly some Gypsum as well.

If one wants maximum use of the size Sintra by butting trim against the outside edges, the method advocated is the best route to take, as the Sintra is virtually Flush against the wall. And this last point is essential as to being able to effectively spray a even coating all the way to the very edges all around.

'Tis how I do 99% of all my Sintra screens, for whatever that adds to the equation.

If you do decide to go that route and want more details, just let me know.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

You actually make a good point, and I didnt even think about the adhesive pulling away before the velcro hook and loop did, but it makes complete sense. You've got me leaning towards the Power Grab now, seems to be the easier, and correctable way to do it.

Any details you can help with, I would certainly appreciate.

Thanks
post #6 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

More? mad.gif

My but are we not high maintenance today ! biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

Since you'd be butting trim, use one "leveled" long trim piece temporarily screwed onto the wall as a "ledge" to rest the bottom edge of the Sintra on. I usually will then set the Sintra up and get it centered where I want it to be, then using a pencil, go around the three free edges and mark off the perimeter. Take the Sintra back down and lay it face down onto a clean, scratch-free surface. Apply adhesive to the board first, keeping at least 2" clear of adhesive all around the outside edge. Apply adhesive with lots of small, 1/2 your Pinky-thick continual beads...and only try reach in far enough to do one half the "height" from one side then jump around and do likewise. use a Square Toothed Adhesive Trowel (...$3.00 @ HD..) to spread out and merge most of the rows of beads. DO NOT OVER WORK IT! Your just trying to equalize the height of the adhesive beads.

Then go to the wall and apply a ring of adhesive 1" inside the Penciled-in perimeter. Trowel it out toward the Pencil line and in toward the center. But stop short by 1/2" shy of the pencil line.

Some do apply all the adhesive directly to the wall only. If you have two Caulk Guns (...smooth flow type...) and two people, the job goes really quickly.

"TWO" people then pick up the sheet and set it carefully onto the "ledge" If you can have a 3rd helper, that allows him to gently push in the bottom edge so it get's onto the ledge easier. (no bowing) Otherwise, when you pick up the Sintra, both of you must purposefully create a inward bow to counteract the Sintra's tendency to bow outward.

And then...if you do have a 3rd there, also have 3 Clean soft towels available. have your 3rd start pressing against the bottom of the sheet at Center, and sliding side-to-side, press the Sintra FIRMLY against the wall in a sqeegee-like manner. Let the 3rd gradually press the Sintra onto the wall from Bottom to Top, like you would apply a decal.

After it's up, everyone press the 'ell out of the Sintra using sliding pressure. Don't forget to concentrate around the edges to "set" the outside beads.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help as always... I'll update as everything moves forward.

Thanks!!!!!!!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyville View Post

Thank you for your help as always... I'll update as everything moves forward.

Thanks!!!!!!!

We will be waiting...................hurry up!

Quicker! wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 15 Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Liked: 10
How did your screen turn out?
post #10 of 15 Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I am happy with the final result. I mounted the sintra using adhesive as mentioned above, and framed it with velvet wrapped trim. The only change I would make, is that I used the Silverfire 3.0 as talked about in these threads... I used an older formula at the time that didnt have the matte finish for the polycrylic, and there is mild hotspotting in brighter scenes.

That is not the fault of the sintra, but of the paint mix. Overall I am very happy even with the mild hotspotting, but guests are wowed by it. I may repaint at some point, but its not enough to bother me, and I've been enjoying it for almost 4 months now.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a now-ancient piece of 1/2 inch Gatorfoam board as my screen, which is still perfectly flat and rigid after >5 years, and am curious about Sintra (which iirc was not available from my local dealer in 10' sections when I bought the GF). How thick is the Sintra? MM said it has a tendency to "bow", so did you glue it to your flat wall so it would never bow?

I missed this thread originally and might've thought a "chalk tray"-type solution might've been possible, where you attach a shallow shelf-with-groove to set the Sintra onto, then some sort of "keeper" hooks on top and in that way you could even tilt it slightly if needed.

But not if the material bows in any way.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 AM

Liked: 12
I mounted my sintra using a finish nail gun.

I built a frame out of 1x4 on the wall. Then I ran a thick bead of power grab around the frame. Then I nailed 4 blocks to the wall spaced equal distances apart for the sintra to sit on. My wife helped me sit the sintra on the blocks. I then went all the way around the sintra with the finish nail gun. All of the nails are close enough to the edge that the velvet border would cover them.

There is a thread here showing the frame I built. I haven't taken any photos of the finished screen yet but will do that soon.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
on a correctly mounted perpendicular plane... neither 3mm or 6mm will bow when properly mounted from just the top edge alone.
everything else concerning adhesive is a precaution.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

More? mad.gif

My but are we not high maintenance today ! biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

Since you'd be butting trim, use one "leveled" long trim piece temporarily screwed onto the wall as a "ledge" to rest the bottom edge of the Sintra on. I usually will then set the Sintra up and get it centered where I want it to be, then using a pencil, go around the three free edges and mark off the perimeter. Take the Sintra back down and lay it face down onto a clean, scratch-free surface. Apply adhesive to the board first, keeping at least 2" clear of adhesive all around the outside edge. Apply adhesive with lots of small, 1/2 your Pinky-thick continual beads...and only try reach in far enough to do one half the "height" from one side then jump around and do likewise. use a Square Toothed Adhesive Trowel (...$3.00 @ HD..) to spread out and merge most of the rows of beads. DO NOT OVER WORK IT! Your just trying to equalize the height of the adhesive beads.

Then go to the wall and apply a ring of adhesive 1" inside the Penciled-in perimeter. Trowel it out toward the Pencil line and in toward the center. But stop short by 1/2" shy of the pencil line.

Some do apply all the adhesive directly to the wall only. If you have two Caulk Guns (...smooth flow type...) and two people, the job goes really quickly.

"TWO" people then pick up the sheet and set it carefully onto the "ledge" If you can have a 3rd helper, that allows him to gently push in the bottom edge so it get's onto the ledge easier. (no bowing) Otherwise, when you pick up the Sintra, both of you must purposefully create a inward bow to counteract the Sintra's tendency to bow outward.

And then...if you do have a 3rd there, also have 3 Clean soft towels available. have your 3rd start pressing against the bottom of the sheet at Center, and sliding side-to-side, press the Sintra FIRMLY against the wall in a sqeegee-like manner. Let the 3rd gradually press the Sintra onto the wall from Bottom to Top, like you would apply a decal.

After it's up, everyone press the 'ell out of the Sintra using sliding pressure. Don't forget to concentrate around the edges to "set" the outside beads.

Thinking about going this route. My screen will be up for at least 8 months, but possibly no more since I'm in an apartment. Will the powergrab allow me to take the screen down easily and clean up with no mess after I'm done?

Also, assuming you're using this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-9-fl-oz-Clear-Power-Grab-Heavy-Duty-Construction-Adhesive-1589157/203009262# it has really poor reviews but if you say it's good then I'll go with it.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Liked: 23
The adhesive suggested would be for permanent mounting, not for something that needs to be removable in an apartment. The Sintra/Komatex/etc is pretty lightweight. I would look into mounting it with the putty like material that is sold for removably mounting posters on the wall and use quite a few little balls of it an inch or so from the edge all around the perimeter of the screen or simply use a few finishing nails and remove and spackle when you vacate the apartment.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page