DIY black screen tests - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 430 Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Member
 
stephen77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ok the black screen is put together but far from complete. Such as the diffuser needs be smoothed back out & cleaned up around the edges. The picture looks amazing at night from the added contrast & warmth the all black backdrop provides but what everyone wants to see is how it holds up in direct sunlight. Well my screen is in a horrible location as far as light control goes. The complete left side of the screen is covered with floor to ceiling windows. Its pretty much a home theater nightmare but until I can afford window treatments for 6 massive windows I guess I will have to deal with it. Once again let me remind u this is still a work in progress but for the circumstances I think its working pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140824_160919_1408921716120.jpg (127.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_160910_1408921754829.jpg (193.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_164054_1408921797482.jpg (133.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_160522_1408921841301.jpg (170.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_160002_1408921970806.jpg (131.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_161600_1408922106642.jpg (163.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20140824_164054_1408922315834.jpg (133.3 KB, 38 views)
roma5 likes this.
stephen77 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 430 Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen77 View Post
Ok the black screen is put together but far from complete. Such as the diffuser needs be smoothed back out & cleaned up around the edges. The picture looks amazing at night from the added contrast & warmth the all black backdrop provides but what everyone wants to see is how it holds up in direct sunlight. Well my screen is in a horrible location as far as light control goes. The complete left side of the screen is covered with floor to ceiling windows. Its pretty much a home theater nightmare but until I can afford window treatments for 6 massive windows I guess I will have to deal with it. Once again let me remind u this is still a work in progress but for the circumstances I think its working pretty good.
Hello Stephen, looks good!

What did you use to make your screen?

Thanks
Darthlatte is offline  
post #423 of 430 Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,861
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Hey Guys,

Try on a 132" painted SF v2.5 1.0 Screen under full Can Light illumination...twin Floods directly in front of the screen, washing the screen's surface.



Panny 8K @ 14.6" throw. Just a little benchmark to shoot for.

....and this 145"er with Sunlight coming in from both sides and Ceiling lights on. Panny 8K @ 16.8"



.....I'm just sayin'......

Yes...I know that the sizes shown are outside the realm of possibility for the application showcased here. And absolutely, the shade of " Black" achieved by the use of the multi-layered approach is impressive, and a strong incentive for those who want people to see something that looks so dark when not in use look so good when it is in play.

Know this for certain....I'm both supportive and encouraged by seeing this effort toward creating a true DIY Black Screen application, shared with all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a Magneto full light.jpg (281.8 KB, 86 views)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

Last edited by MississippiMan; 08-25-2014 at 07:29 AM.
MississippiMan is online now  
post #424 of 430 Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Member
 
stephen77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
135" Now thats a big screen. I wanted to make a 110inch screen but the materials for that wasnt as easy to get so I made a 100 in screen even though materials would allow for a 110in application.The screen was fairly enexpensive for this type of screen. I kept it under 300$ but the r&d cost probably around 600$. These are the materials i used
Substrate-4'×88" 1/4 inch foam board home depot 12$
Reflective Layer- Diamond film mylar
Black Layer- Black ITY fabric (Interlock Twist Yarn). 94% Polyester 6% Spandex Stretch
Diffuser substrate- .60" 4'×88" clear plastic.
Diffuser- solyx dusted static cling from decorativefilm.com

I started off by stapling the diamond mylar to the foam board & then stretched the black spadex (specifically the previous listed ity) over the foam board. Then i applied the static cling diffuser to the clear plastic/acrylic & clipped it to the foam board that was wrapped in mylar & spandex. That for now is my screen. I decided to go with the black spandex as my dark layer because of how easy it is to work with & it allows light to still pass through.It Also covers up the imperfections of the mylar so u cant see them in the pictures. Ive tried probably 10 different kinds of spandex & the kind listed is what works the best. Others are to thin, to thick, or show the material pattern once stretched in the picture. The ITY 94/6 blend is perfect for this application. In my opinion the spandex is is the secret ingredient because it does exactly what a black tint would do but its so much easier to work with & it help diffuse light along with the diffuser. Also another note I would go with the static cling diffuser I listed. 1: because it works well & 2: it can be taken up & re applied if u mess up because unless your a professional at laying tint/vinyl you probably will. The stic cling is so much more forgiving then an adhesive diffuser. Also that static ling comes in 54in width so it doesnt have to be spot on with a 48in substrate. Also it being 54" allows for a bigger screen. You would just need a 60×96 piece of clear plastic/acrylic & you could make at least 110in black screen. Another tip it is very important that your diffuser substrate has no dints/dings or it will show. Everything on the top surface has to be perfect & straight or it will effect your picture. If you see hot spots on the screen make sure your diffuser substrate is flat because any curvature can create hot spots. I may also put a cheap diffuser over the mylar to help spread the light to create better viewing angles & hotspotting. Making it a triple diffused screen may cut down the disadvantages of an ambient light screen. For a homemade black screen I cant be more pleased with the results. There is still a ways to go in cleaning it up & hanging it so its still a work in progress but it can be done is the most important thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-08-24-19-27-56_1408978718271.jpg (84.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-08-24-19-33-02_1408978835852.jpg (108.1 KB, 33 views)
roma5 likes this.

Last edited by stephen77; 08-25-2014 at 10:24 AM.
stephen77 is online now  
post #425 of 430 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
Member
 
Morlince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen77 View Post
135" Now thats a big screen. I wanted to make a 110inch screen but the materials for that wasnt as easy to get so I made a 100 in screen even though materials would allow for a 110in application.The screen was fairly enexpensive for this type of screen. I kept it under 300$ but the r&d cost probably around 600$. These are the materials i used
Substrate-4'×88" 1/4 inch foam board home depot 12$
Reflective Layer- Diamond film mylar
Black Layer- Black ITY fabric (Interlock Twist Yarn). 94% Polyester 6% Spandex Stretch
Diffuser substrate- .60" 4'×88" clear plastic.
Diffuser- solyx dusted static cling from decorativefilm.com
For your difuser substrate you list the following.

Diffuser substrate- .60" 4'×88" clear plastic.

Until i looked at your ebay purchase and saw that the plastic is listed at .060" I was a little concerned about the more than half inch thick piece of plastic on your screen.



Also, Can you get a clear picture up closer to the screen on a shot so we can see how diffuse the image is getting?

I have tried a few different products from decorative films already and will post them up when i have some time.

~/\\/\\orlince

BenQ w1070
DIY 100" Screen (will be painting it soon)
Xbox One - The Morlince
RSOC - Xbox One gaming community I help Mod

Last edited by Morlince; Yesterday at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added question...
Morlince is online now  
post #426 of 430 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Member
 
stephen77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Im satisfied with my black & reflective layers but what could be improved on is the diffuser. Any one who is trying to create a diy black screen knows the diffuser is the most important layer & finding the perfect one is definitely the toughest part. Im sure there is a better one out there for this application then the one I have so im keeping my eyes open & taking any suggestions for anything better then what I currently have. I went with the dusted static cling for ease of use & the size. Im looking into one from avery that is thicker & wont need to be applied to a substrate. What are the types of diffusers anyone else has tried?
stephen77 is online now  
post #427 of 430 Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Stephen, have you considered using Orca Grow film for your reflective layer? I think it would give an added punch to the light/intensity of the image... Also, how are your viewing angles - Any pics?
Darthlatte is offline  
post #428 of 430 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Member
 
stephen77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is the orca grow retroflective like the oracal 5600? I went with the diamond mylar to help diffuse light better but the orca may work better. Truth is ive exhausted a lot of my resouces in r&d for many materials that arent usable for the final product. It would be awesome if we created a system of test screens with each person using different materials so we could work towards the best screen by combining all our ideas. Im sure there are better layers then what I used.. but thats what I could afford & had access too. I know there have been a lot of test samples from previous post but you really cant judge how well something works until you just quit sampling & gamble on a full screen. Light diffuses differently on a larger surface so you dont know how your layers will react until u pull the trigger on a big picture. U cant see hot spotting on small samples & u cant see the uniformity of a picture unless its on a full screen. So the more full screens the better. I know its an investment but samples will only tell you so much. My family is starting to think im crazy because I pretty much obsessed with trying to make this concept work from a diy perspective. So if there is anybody else out there that is dying to have this kind of screen at an affordable price jump in head first with me cause ive done all I can for now. My family is about to seize my assets if I spend another dime on material lol.

Last edited by stephen77; Yesterday at 09:26 PM.
stephen77 is online now  
post #429 of 430 Old Today, 06:46 AM
Newbie
 
Mil3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen77 View Post
Is the orca grow retroflective like the oracal 5600? I went with the diamond mylar to help diffuse light better but the orca may work better. Truth is ive exhausted a lot of my resouces in r&d for many materials that arent usable for the final product. It would be awesome if we created a system of test screens with each person using different materials so we could work towards the best screen by combining all our ideas. Im sure there are better layers then what I used.. but thats what I could afford & had access too. I know there have been a lot of test samples from previous post but you really cant judge how well something works until you just quit sampling & gamble on a full screen. Light diffuses differently on a larger surface so you dont know how your layers will react until u pull the trigger on a big picture. U cant see hot spotting on small samples & u cant see the uniformity of a picture unless its on a full screen. So the more full screens the better. I know its an investment but samples will only tell you so much. My family is starting to think im crazy because I pretty much obsessed with trying to make this concept work from a diy perspective. So if there is anybody else out there that is dying to have this kind of screen at an affordable price jump in head first with me cause ive done all I can for now. My family is about to seize my assets if I spend another dime on material lol.
Stephen, would 95% - 5% be ok or it must be 94-6?
I can't find it in europe and shipping from us is 100$..
Mil3 is online now  
post #430 of 430 Old Today, 07:06 AM
Member
 
stephen77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ya that should be fine
stephen77 is online now  
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off