DIY black screen tests - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes
post #631 of 641 Unread Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You might need something like the first picture here: Finished my DIY curved screen set-up with pics to support the sheets. To make it lighter you could cut out circles using a hole saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 641 Unread Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Red face I have a DIY slightly curved hanging screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen77 View Post
They have really thin pieces of wood sheets that are more then flexible enough to achieve a curved screen. You will be limited to only 4?8 so u can make a 100 inch screen with one piece. How bad is the uniformity now...do you have any pictures showing the corners?
I just finished reading all of these posts about this material and couldn't resist ordering the 12"x12" sample to try with my 24" high by 57" wide hanging screen. I assume that I can adhere the sample to my existing screen by just smoothing it into place? I sit quite close to this screen when it is in place in front of my 50" 4K LCD TV. (My concept here was to have the same image height with either display.
My Epson 5030 providing the 2.40:1 image and my Vizio "P" providing the 1.78:1 image.) The hanging screen has a slight curve because it is made of a quite thin material.
post #633 of 641 Unread Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Diy Black screen for LED projectors presents http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9bN...ature=youtu.be
imbloodyskint likes this.
post #634 of 641 Unread Today, 02:10 AM

Liked: 12
My Diy Black screen for LED projectors presents vol.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP5TC...ature=youtu.be
post #635 of 641 Unread Today, 10:44 AM

Liked: 19
videos

alright fellas, i got some more pics and videos for you. i got a 4x8 sheet of this stuff called plas-tex at lowes. it is made by parkland plastics and can be rolled easily but it is firm.

anyway, i took some more pics and videos yesterday morning. i didn't do a great job with regards to putting the arlon material on the sheet of pals-tex. i didn't bother getting the wrinkles out or anything since this was just a quick test. i felt that if it was worth it, id get the blow drier and properly adhere the sheet making sure to get all the wrinkles out. its really a 2 person job and I've been doing this all alone so far.

since i took these pics and videos on saturday morning, and I'm posting this on sunday morning, i wanted to let you all know that we are currently still using the arlon screen. We did have to shrink the screen from about 105" down to i believe 98" which is max for the plaster 4x8 sheet. In one of the videos i have the right side of the screen curved outward and the left side flat. I wanted to see how much of a difference the curve made and compare them with my own eyes side by side. Also, the blacks might look similar between the arlon and the black widow, but the arlon was definitely darker in person. obviously as a result of the darker material.

Pics are attached and links to youtube videos below. let me know if you still have any questions. the movies are all played at 24p and the iPhone has trouble capturing it so you might see some of the strange color flickering on the screen. thats an issue with the recording, not actually visible when watching the movie.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	433721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	433729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	433737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	433745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0640.jpg
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	433753  

Ftoast and ger75 like this.
post #636 of 641 Unread Today, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i think the black screen is much better than the gp. The gp is not uniform and the viewing angels is very poor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighernan View Post
alright fellas, i got some more pics and videos for you. i got a 4x8 sheet of this stuff called plas-tex at lowes. it is made by parkland plastics and can be rolled easily but it is firm.

anyway, i took some more pics and videos yesterday morning. i didn't do a great job with regards to putting the arlon material on the sheet of pals-tex. i didn't bother getting the wrinkles out or anything since this was just a quick test. i felt that if it was worth it, id get the blow drier and properly adhere the sheet making sure to get all the wrinkles out. its really a 2 person job and I've been doing this all alone so far.

since i took these pics and videos on saturday morning, and I'm posting this on sunday morning, i wanted to let you all know that we are currently still using the arlon screen. We did have to shrink the screen from about 105" down to i believe 98" which is max for the plaster 4x8 sheet. In one of the videos i have the right side of the screen curved outward and the left side flat. I wanted to see how much of a difference the curve made and compare them with my own eyes side by side. Also, the blacks might look similar between the arlon and the black widow, but the arlon was definitely darker in person. obviously as a result of the darker material.

Pics are attached and links to youtube videos below. let me know if you still have any questions. the movies are all played at 24p and the iPhone has trouble capturing it so you might see some of the strange color flickering on the screen. thats an issue with the recording, not actually visible when watching the movie.

http://youtu.be/SbMBVWFnp6Q

http://youtu.be/wwpze-Ruex4

http://youtu.be/y2aSU1zfoBE
post #637 of 641 Unread Today, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighernan View Post
I wanted to see how much of a difference the curve made and compare them with my own eyes side by side. Also, the blacks might look similar between the arlon and the black widow, but the arlon was definitely darker in person. obviously as a result of the darker material.
How would you describe the viewing-angles in person? Not asking for anything super wide, just a view from seating distance at center compared to seating distance at just outside the screen's left or right side..like a four or five seat arrangement.

Do you feel like it keeps enough brightness inside that cone/area?
Any guesses about how much darker than the BlackWidow it becomes at a side seat like that?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #638 of 641 Unread Today, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Do you feel that curving helped the uniformity at all? I could definitely notice viewing angle issues but im just curious as to what it looked like in person BigH?
post #639 of 641 Unread Today, 02:25 PM

I believe we have found the right balance of dark material creating a bright image with good whites but the issue now to tackle is uniformity & viewing angles. I know its been stated that using a retroflective material would achieve good uniformity. I know the Dark Star does & probably all the other ones do to. The thing that sucks about using retroflective materials is the cost & screen size limitations. You simply cant find anything that exceeds 48 inches & if you do it will cost 150+. So I would really like if we could figure out a way to get the direct reflection method to work. It also has better image pop & brightness.
post #640 of 641 Unread Today, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I think you may have even better luck getting a smooth curve with thin wood panel more than the parkland plastic which can be a little too flexible. It looked like you had the uniformity pretty well evened-out, although you could see some odd points partway through the curve, that was just the result of the curve being a little too extreme during the test.

If it's dimming too much as you move into a left/right off-center seat, you'll probably need a different material. That's why I'm asking for such a specific answer to how the cone drops off in person from a reasonable side-seating position.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #641 of 641 Unread Today, 09:44 PM

I wonder if you diffused the GP it would help the image distribution. Last night I frosted my sample piece of GP & of course it gave it a matte finish but it didnt dilute the shade to a lighter color. I cant tell if this would help since my sample is so small but it could be something to think about. Does anyone else think this could help with the uniformity & the viewing cone?
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page