DIY black screen tests - Page 34 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 191Likes

post #991 of 1011 Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopmjj View Post
HumbleHub i have tried vinyls before but there is no way to have a smooth finish, may i ask how you got your screen so smooth? i always have bubbles or get marks all over and just ruins it, also the one i got before had hotspot and low viewing angle, is there anything else i need to put on top of this to get better viewing angles? or is this all i need for the screen?
The only way that I know worked for me is Using a wet application, its more forgiving. I don't have anybody to help me so thats why wet application worked best and with minor flaws. I used RapidTac, if you go back a page you can see exactly how I set it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1011 Old 04-18-2015, 09:01 AM

Stephen, FOR THE LAST TIME.. IM CALLING YOU OUT ASKING FOR WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING. Please do not worry about my finances, I have a lot of capital. I think you have been very vague and have limited yourself of allowing others help your vision succeed. You have been giving people lost hope. If this continues, I strongly feel that we should create a new thread that is going to truly cater to the DIY`ers and foster an environment so that everyone succeeds in making a great quality screen. This thread had had a bad rep since it was created, maybe its time for a change. I have spent thousands on samples and equipment. But it is worth it if I can save other members money. At the end of the day, isn`t that what it is all about. I have been patient with you and even private messaged you multiple times.If you are really looking to make it commercial or whatever the case is please relieve yourself.

Im saying enough is enough. We all want to make money but this is not the place for it. ITS A DIY FORUM FOR GODSAKE. Even if you do commercialize it, I will be here trying to make the same screen better and cheaper haha. But please if you care for any of the people that have been following or looked up to you. They deserve the truth or full disclosure.

Im just speaking the truth.
RRGeorge likes this.
post #993 of 1011 Old 04-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Humblehub for the curved screen did you had to adjust a setting to fill the screen? how did you manage to get the picture curved? did you use a pc or something?
im also looking to buy lgpf1500 led projector which has 1400 lumens is your screen a good option for this? or does it need more lumen?
post #994 of 1011 Old 04-18-2015, 02:11 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Covering the front wall in black velvet is the best thing I could have done the image pops off the wall
post #995 of 1011 Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopmjj View Post
Humblehub for the curved screen did you had to adjust a setting to fill the screen? how did you manage to get the picture curved? did you use a pc or something?
im also looking to buy lgpf1500 led projector which has 1400 lumens is your screen a good option for this? or does it need more lumen?
I have yet found a way to fix this problem. But My current set up is with a Epson 8350 I know I know Old but If lined up properly, the curve is not very noticeable. With it being gar away from screen, its only a 1 inch contraction from top to bottom
post #996 of 1011 Old 04-18-2015, 04:01 PM

I forgot to answer you second question. I currently have it on eco mode for majority of the day because of how good it is and using a second replacement bulb and is going on 1000 hrs. So I think the led should work smoothly. But I honestly don't think you need it curved. Just slap it to a wall and you should be set
post #997 of 1011 Old 04-20-2015, 06:50 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleHub View Post
Stephen, FOR THE LAST TIME.. IM CALLING YOU OUT ASKING FOR WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING. Please do not worry about my finances, I have a lot of capital. I think you have been very vague and have limited yourself of allowing others help your vision succeed. You have been giving people lost hope. If this continues, I strongly feel that we should create a new thread that is going to truly cater to the DIY`ers and foster an environment so that everyone succeeds in making a great quality screen. This thread had had a bad rep since it was created, maybe its time for a change. I have spent thousands on samples and equipment. But it is worth it if I can save other members money. At the end of the day, isn`t that what it is all about. I have been patient with you and even private messaged you multiple times. If you are really looking to make it commercial or whatever the case is please relieve yourself.

Im saying enough is enough. We all want to make money but this is not the place for it. ITS A DIY FORUM FOR GODSAKE. Even if you do commercialize it, I will be here trying to make the same screen better and cheaper haha. But please if you care for any of the people that have been following or looked up to you. They deserve the truth or full disclosure.

Im just speaking the truth.
HumbleHub,

I feel obligated to step in here.

The Black highlighted statements are terribly pretentious. While you might find the process involved easily within your own budgetary means, failing to note and understand that others (Stephen77) might have made personal sacrifices that predate your own efforts, and therein he has every right to want to proceed of his own accord and at his own pace, and keep his ideas to himself to allow him the ability to claim such efforts as his own is not conducive to making a valid point. It is more akin to just bitchin' that someone will not make your own efforts easier and the results "YOU" want to have come quicker. While your sole motive might be to encourage
Stephen77 efforts to allow you to help bring something to bear more quickly, you method of "suggestion" leaves a wide gulf between politeness and decorum on this Forum and just being plain ol' nasty.

If you feel strongly enough to post your tirade against Stephen77 then you should do exactly what you suggested in the Red highlighted statement, and let your own efforts stand up of their own accord, not rant on and speculate about the motives and intention of others.

Stephen77 was already subjected to a similar bout of discordant remarks, none of which really had much merit, although he did prompt such with a Freudian slip about possibly making "HIS" effort into a sell-able product.
It is well within his right to pull back...even cease posting on DIY (...as he well should...) if such designs are being considered. After all...and this brooks no argument....neither your ideas, your money, or anyone else on this Thread has directly or indirectly contributed to his efforts....with the sole exception of New Design having planted the idea and desire in his head to make something better than ND's own effort.

I can fully understand why your feeling the way you do...Stephen77's efforts seem to be well ahead of the curve, and for anyone who wants to "get there" in the best and fastest manner possible, the asking for a reveal is certainly justified.

But not DEMANDING. Disappointment in not seeing such a reveal be forthcoming on your terms and time frame notwithstanding, one does not attract much cooperation with such statements like you posted in the Green highlights.

Your dead on right about one thing however. This is DIY Screen making, and that said, get busy and Do It Yourself.
imbloodyskint and HCORE like this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #998 of 1011 Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 162
HumbleHub, I like your idea of starting a new thread and making it clear in the first post that it's intended only for true DIYers who are willing to freely and openly share with others. Oil and water don't mix. Let's get some separation here and end the constant frustration of people with different agendas trying to coexist in a single thread. You start the thread and you set the rules. Those who agree with you will follow. Those who don't can have their own threads with their own sets of rules.
post #999 of 1011 Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Keeping your cards close to the chest doesn't keep others from claiming your design first and posting ideas openly doesn't let folks claim to have done it first..quite the opposite since it basically time-stamps the plans and whoever posted them.

Saving others from wasting money is as easy as warning thoroughly that your experimental work is exactly that and being clear about any known or potential shortcomings.
Any waste after that is on the hands of a well-informed adult, capable of deciding for themself.
Not posting materials does more harm than good here as well since repeating mistakes is much easier when there's little/no collaboration.

Posting plans for others to help improve further on is part of the spirit of DIY and part of what Stephen spoke of having interest in earlier.

None of the above is good reason to keep a design to yourself. So what is?

Holding it close for potential non-DIY actions later makes sense and wouldn't likely end with a crucifixion as long as people are kept in the light about the intentions..even if those intentions are as vague as "I'd like to keep my options open for making a business of this particular design". At least that way people know which projects to wait for and which will likely never be given out for DIY.

I personally like to post what I find as soon as possible since car-accidents claim a lot of us in the states and I'd prefer not to have someone lose something potentially helpful by (in my case) being too lazy to post.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 04-20-2015 at 09:03 AM.
post #1000 of 1011 Old 04-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Liked: 18
When Stephen77 was accused of using this thread to test out what his actions seemed to be developing a commercial product for sale, I was one of the suspicious ones. After a while he came back with his story of not developing for commercial, then he began posting a lot - again. And my suspicions melted away. Then, on 4/5, HumbleHub asked Stephen77 what the materials are in this final-appearing construction. On 4/6, Stephen77 made 2 posts, completely ignoring that request. On 4/7, I gave HumbleHub's request a "+1". On 4/8, HCORE also requested a component list. Stephen77 disappeared after 4/6. I am suspicious again, but hope I'm wrong and that Stephen77 is preparing a final materials list with some specific assembly tips.

MM, I agree with you that Stephen77 should not post in this thread. Also, I encourage him to start his own thread, even if he's headed toward commercialization - he should simply state his intent up front and we'd be fine with that. If commercialization is his goal, more power to him and he should start a commercial thread.
post #1001 of 1011 Old 04-20-2015, 02:23 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Well I for one am glad to see a general consensus of what should and should not be dwelt on or presented in the last 3 posts.

Having been where I have been over the last 13 years, I see both sides very clearly.

In conjunction with PB_Maxx , who taking interest in my prior DIY formulas, worked with me to refine what was known at the time as MMud-SE and turn it first into RS-MaxxMudd and then Black Flame (aka: Silver Fire ), we started out in a purely DIY state, posting fully revealed formulas. Didn't really make a difference to some seeing I was also involved in doing Home Theaters and making screens "off forum" It was to be assumed by some few that I had a hidden agenda. I could plead innocence until the creek ran dry, a few would still state I simply had to be posting only to make money off the Forum. As if it made any sense for me to send my Customers onto here to see how inexpensively and simply their own screens could be made.

What was really happening was an effort by a few to exclude anyone who had more knowledge or ability that allowed them to do more than the common DIY'er. It would seem I had an unfair advantage that outweighed my efforts to share my experience and help others.

In our further efforts to refine the application, changes came pretty often, and were always shared. Yet still some called us out saying we had to be "holding back" if we could keep improving on our application every couple months or so. And since we didn't have anyone joining us in our efforts, but rather were busy fending off personal attacks, we had a pretty tough time of it. No matter our total transparency. Ignore the many hours helping others to realize their own projects.

Such is the nature of a Forum, and the Internet as a whole. There are enough who dwell there your bound to find a disaffected individual/s who want nothing more than to take you down several notches...or cut your legs off at the knees if possible. Knocking people off pedestals is a time honored sport of Trolls.

All that is now over 10 years gone, and over that time until recently still no one had come up with something to equal or surpass Silver Fire.

But now.....things have certainly changed. Now days, a "total Noob" can come on with a grandiose idea, and seeing a need, by golly they actually accomplish something others have not / could not. We have some relatively simple but effective "Black Screen" paint solutions. The re-start of Multi-layer Film efforts, something that was considered an impossibility just 3-4 years ago. All of which are centered around Ambient Light performance, a need that was...has been, and continues to be a front runner in the needs and desires of many.

The whole purpose of my relating all the above is to both state how much in common all of us can have in creating DIY screen applications. Who can say how anyone might feel...or react if suddenly before their eyes they see something they created show potential far above and beyond their expectations?

And if they got there wholly of their own efforts and expenditures, even if they started out by sharing their efforts and experiences on a Forum, if they had made no promises, not a whole lot can be expected when they suddenly see a "OMG" moment developing before their eyes.

What has happened that is unfortunate is how a few have used the Forum as a way to test potential reactions to an idea / up coming product. I really think at this point Stephen77 is exempt from that reasoning...and while it might seem that such feelings might have developed, I don't think things are really that way. It may well be that he has opted out because his last efforts went Over the Top. If that is so, and he voted with his feet, then he did the right thing at that point. Might not seem that way to some, because of disappointment and such, but it must be acknowledged that his efforts were in fact...his own efforts.

He might simply want to wait until he can show us all something in a totally finished state...full sized and proven. That would be his inherent right to do so.

But maybe...just maybe he met with a failure to measure up. I know that I would never present anything I personally felt was sub-par, even if to some it might represent a big step up from what had come before. Nor would I present something that was beyond the ways and means of normal human DIY'ers, most all of who are both cheapskates and want something great for as little effort as possible.

I fall squarely within that genre myself.

]In all fairness (...and as an extended Olive Branch...) if HumbleHub determined to continue his efforts and came up with something that trounces all that came before it...and did so for less money and effort...well, he'll become a legend on this Forum. Absolutely that is what any true DIY'er aspires to. While we all might claim total "humility" and unselfishness, don't anyone kid themselves into believing that garnering praise and abject "Thank Yous" is not in and of itself a prime motivation behind all the hard work and efforts we all expend.

Shucks....without such, what a lot of ungrateful fellows we all would be.
HCORE likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Last edited by MississippiMan; 04-20-2015 at 03:21 PM.
post #1002 of 1011 Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Whatever explanation or excuse anyone may come up with, I'm afraid it's a simple fact of life on any DIY forum where everyone is freely sharing information to help everyone else succeed at a DIY project that anyone who deliberately withholds information is going to lose trust and respect from others.
HCORE and RRGeorge like this.
post #1003 of 1011 Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Dear participants the DIY project we discuss in a branch the black screen - and therefore to you a question. There are thoughts to create the interpolation black screen on the basis of phosphors? There is of course at a forum a separate branch but so there are no reasonings on the device but only comparison of the price... I ask its device about a clone of the interpolation screen there is a representation, thoughts, such screen will give more a prize... The matter is that materials in the countries different in quality and from availability? Not advertizing - the interpolation screen 3D-TEK.
Inforation of the device secret... The patent of bureau isn't present information. On a skolka the black screen is created by them I suggest to think as... It in my opinion task more interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS-LSqoJiE0#t=1214
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	875645.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	678625   Click image for larger version

Name:	dop_1_86_1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	678633   Click image for larger version

Name:	78764.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	678641   Click image for larger version

Name:	77878.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	678649  
imbloodyskint and RRGeorge like this.

Last edited by HCORE; 04-21-2015 at 08:56 PM.
post #1004 of 1011 Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCORE View Post
Dear participants the DIY project we discuss in a branch the black screen - and therefore to you a question. There are thoughts to create the interpolation black screen on the basis of phosphors? There is of course at a forum a separate branch but so there are no reasonings on the device but only comparison of the price... I ask its device about a clone of the interpolation screen there is a representation, thoughts, such screen will give more a prize... The matter is that materials in the countries different in quality and from availability? Not advertizing - the interpolation screen 3D-TEK.
Inforation of the device secret... The patent of bureau isn't present information. On a skolka the black screen is created by them I suggest to think as... It in my opinion task more interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS-LSqoJiE0#t=1214
If the material truly does retain images long enough to smooth singlechip flashing, it will also cause increased streaking similar to slower LCD panels and increased ghosting during 3D.
The light-rejection still comes at the expense of brightness and viewing-cone..look how dim the image becomes near the end of the video as the camera moves toward the side a little.

As for the pixel-blending, that's how all translucent diffusers work depending on their thickness, diffusion, and the size of the pixel-gaps.

Remember that's a large broadcast and money changes hands..they aren't going to put it on TV and criticize it, they're going to hype it up to build excitement because positive feelings make viewers want to watch the program more and possibly purchase whatever is commercialized all while the products shown get some notoriety and maybe even a stock boost.

In short, hold down your tinfoil hat because the media cares more about money than it does the honest truth..read between the lines and watch critically.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; Yesterday at 06:21 AM.
post #1005 of 1011 Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Yeah...such "revelations" come and go.

The real proof lies in real world applications by consumers, and basically, only crass commercialization results in the placement of such a product on the market notwithstanding it's true limitations and value to performance ration.

You know...like a BD II

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1006 of 1011 Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Here the participant of a forum writes about impression of the seen screen. And I understood to it the screen was pleasant...
First active projector screen?!
post #1007 of 1011 Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

We sought to make Sony BD clone, but Silver fire even was better.
Can when people understand as the interpolation screen, DIY the decision on quality is arranged the same can be much higher...
People not just like that spend money for their screen though in the market there are a lot of very worthy decisions. I don't think that fiction...
post #1008 of 1011 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone been able to find a diffuser that diffuses light less on one axis than it does the other? Something affordable that could be used to widen horizontal cone while leaving the vertical cone some degree narrower?

post #1009 of 1011 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

To use a good viewing angle white the grid small a cell... The bottom the dark reflecting material - vinyl or paint or fabric a little important, and a grid on properties differs from continuous material in cellular structure.
I did so the screen and I can tell that the viewing angle will be at the level of the white screen, it isn't much less. But nevertheless it is very good.
Also I will notice that brightness from increase in a viewing angle to become higher that compensation of an effect of the reflecting layer.

Last edited by HCORE; Yesterday at 11:30 AM.
post #1010 of 1011 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

There is still here such option...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_434_295_90.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	680793  
post #1011 of 1011 Old Today, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCORE View Post
There is still here such option...
Well I got the Cinegrey 5D, which looks and smells just like a grey inflatable kiddy pool. There is a very light coating of something on one side that kicks up the gain, but a fair bit of light bleeds though it. Overall it works well but I'm betting with enough fishing the community will find something just as good for a material.

If the goal is to make a product to sell I'm thinking an adjustable frame kit with tension springs might get you farther then the material itself. A velvet boarder does seem to work better then even the dullest paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section