Screen build - noob looking for comments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just about to start building a screen for my new media room. First I'd like to say this forum is amazing! Great info for noobs and a lot of very patient and experienced people - in fact there is almost too much info here. Anyway, here is where I'm currently at in terms of planning:

Screen Build
Room: Approx. 17 x 20. Dedicated home theatre/gaming/party room located in basement with a single window on one side, so ambient light can be controlled.
Projector: Acer H6510BD (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-H6510BD-projection-calculator-pro.htm)
Desired Screen: approx. 150” diagonal 16:9 (131” by 73”) fixed screen … perhaps a bit larger.

Build details:
- Construct frame from 1 x 4 MDF (due to availability of lengths > 10’ and low cost). Best to use two braces instead of just one in the middle? Use metal L-brackets to attach them all together.
- Purchase screen material from http://stores.ebay.ca/protheater or http://www.carlofet.com. Thoughts on which is better or other suggestions?
- Screw frame directly to wall (making sure to hit joists) prior to attaching screen material. Make sure screws are near the outside edge so that it can be removed from wall without having to remove screen material. Obviously make sure it is level!
- Staple material to frame as in step 4 here: http://www.carlofet.com/build-your-own-projector-screen/. Is gluing a good idea? Trim excess material. Install black felt tape and painted backband trim.

Thoughts:
- Prefer not to paint (I do not own a spray gun and have no spraying skills and really not motivated to learn). It just looks like this will be more complicated (gyproc/sanding, obtaining paint material (in Canada), and cost). I’m tired of sanding and painting after having just refinished my kitchen cabinets.
- I don’t plan to remove the screen so why not attach it directly to the wall rather than hanging it using cleats or other mechanisms?
- Budget-conscious. Want something decent, but doesn’t have to be “the best”.

BTW, hope it wasn't against forum rules to post links. If it is somebody please let me know and I'll remove immediately.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
First off, welcome to the forum! It looks like you are basically on the right track. I would use velvet (Sy fabrics) wrapped trim instead of the black felt tape. Much less light reflection and much better looking. Also, I think you should consider attaching to the wall via a french cleat. You may think you will not want to remove your screen, but it makes adjustments much easier and if you decide to paint the screen in the future it can make life easier.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Check out Flexi-White material at Carl's. I have painted several screen as of now, using that material, and it's ultra smooth, yet accepts DIY paints like a dream.

Sadly, none of the "Gray" DIY Mfg Screen materials are really worthy ( low gain - texture ) so you must accept that with a matte white 1.2 gain surface (Flexi-White) your contrast will only be as good as your viewing conditions allow.

Reconsider painting. It's really easy....and it turns a Ho Hum DIY Screen into a over-achieving DIY Screen that actually can outperform Mfg screens costing over $2k

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies ...

Yes, was actually planning to use velvet even though I wrote felt (I think I got that from Carl's site). Good thing you pointed this out or I could have made the same mistake when ordering it online!

This is my first projector/screen, so I'm really not sure why I would want to move it? Given the size I'm looking at there really isn't a lot of options for where it would have to go on the wall. I also won't have many options for moving it for painting (i.e. would probably have to do that in-place anyway), and if I did I could always peel back the velvet and unscrew it from the wall.

Hmmm, maybe I'll start with something like flexi-white and then later paint it - that could be a good compromise. Is flexi-white a better choice than the blackout cloth or the stuff from protheater? Protheater makes some convincing arguments on their eBay site. Their material is 1.0 gain and I was leaning towards it. Will most screen materials give good results when painted?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page