Bare wall, Frame or paint? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Before I head out to michaels to get the silver fire I need all of the color component and the reflective base components as well right? So much is going on for the listing of stuff I don't want to miss anything..

I wont start until maybe middle of next month or end of next month since it's going to be a busy time with federal jury duty.

Do you get the matte liquitex basics?

Holy crap.. can I skip the Rust-Oleum Metallic Accents?? It's $63 on Amazon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also if I go with the FlexiWhite for 120" I'd need 71x126 right?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

I guess you must know what site I'm talking about then... which had me thinking.. what's the difference from the silver fire and the black widow?

Black Widow is a mix that uses only Aluminum for a reflective / coloration medium. It's at best a sub 1.0 gain mix, made to have even less gain if made darker via the addition of a neutral Gray. It's reflectivity cannot be increased beyond a certain low point lest the adding of additional Aluminum cause that "hot spotting" and graininess they want to attribute to Silver Fire....or the addition of a higher percentage of "White" render the Aluminum effect moot. When BW consisted of the original AAA Aluminum, a Beige Base was required to prevent it from creating a severe Blue color in a mix. Now, with a change up of Aluminum, it's become nothing more than a Mix containing a single reflective "Silvery-Gray-hued" particle, one that still must not be used in much more than small amounts. It works at what it does....it just doesn't do all that much....being limited in the amount that can be utilized.

Silver Fire uses a very dark colorant derived from the mixing of multiple Primary colors. For reflectivity SF uses a combo of Silver and Pearlescence in varying amounts, so It's reflectivity is adjustable, and effectively kept under attenuative control by the addition of either more SF colorant, additional UPW...or a combo of both. As such, It can come in a hue of Silver Gray that ranges from almost white, to an extremely dark Gray.

It's performance, and long lived popularity has over time made it subject to attempts by a few to have it dismissed as being ineffective, or even something bad being fostered upon those who mistakenly allow the posted results of so many others way their decision making process.

From the beginning we have always let the posted results of actual End Users be the judge, and the judgement is virtually unanimous. It works....as good as or better than Mfg Screens costing thousands.

It does require specific components, and some care in mixing and assemblage, and it's primarily a "Sprayed On" application due to it's use of copious amounts of reflective particles, but the act of spraying correctly, combined with the use of SF colorant / UPW as masking agents allows it to do exactly what it's claimed to do.

In truth, we / I seldom strive to justify it's use...so long has it been in use and under the scrutiny of so many DIY'ers who have gone that route. But at times, yes...posts like yours requesting an answer (explanation) require a restatement. How such is received, and what "bugs" are drawn out of the woodwork is the only thing that cannot be predicted. One thing is certain though...when I explain / defend SF, it's deemed by a few as being "promotion". A End User's positive report? Well such commentary is often patently ignored elsewhere. Go figure. smile.gif

Quote:

Before I head out to michaels to get the silver fire I need all of the color component and the reflective base components as well right? So much is going on for the listing of stuff I don't want to miss anything..

I wont start until maybe middle of next month or end of next month since it's going to be a busy time with federal jury duty.

Do you get the matte liquitex basics?

Holy crap.. can I skip the Rust-Oleum Metallic Accents?? It's $63 on Amazon

No...we do not use the "Matte" anymore.

We are looking at available substitutions for the Rust-Oleum, but at present it is the only certifiable choice. but shopping around will find it for much less (1/2 bof that $63.00 ) at other sources. (Sears -Menards -Lowes)
Here it is at Menards for just $23.00 rolleyes.gif http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/crafts/decorative-finishes/rust-oleum-metallic-accents-white-pearl/p-1963176-c-8020.htm

Your Momma told you...ya gotta shop around. biggrin.gif

Quote:

Also if I go with the FlexiWhite for 120" I'd need 71x126 right?

Yes...seeing that 122" diagonal equals a screen area of 107" x 60"

One very important thing to remember, you need to use what is suggested, follow the application methods to a "T"...and if uncertain about any aspect of the build...ask first....not after a issue arises.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Black Widow is a mix that uses only Aluminum for a reflective / coloration medium. It's at best a sub 1.0 gain mix, made to have even less gain if made darker via the addition of a neutral Gray. It's reflectivity cannot be increased beyond a certain low point lest the adding of additional Aluminum cause that "hot spotting" and graininess they want to attribute to Silver Fire....or the addition of a higher percentage of "White" render the Aluminum effect moot. When BW consisted of the original AAA Aluminum, a Beige Base was required to prevent it from creating a severe Blue color in a mix. Now, with a change up of Aluminum, it's become nothing more than a Mix containing a single reflective "Silvery-Gray-hued" particle, one that still must not be used in much more than small amounts. It works at what it does....it just doesn't do all that much....being limited in the amount that can be utilized.

Silver Fire uses a very dark colorant derived from the mixing of multiple Primary colors. For reflectivity SF uses a combo of Silver and Pearlescence in varying amounts, so It's reflectivity is adjustable, and effectively kept under attenuative control by the addition of either more SF colorant, additional UPW...or a combo of both. As such, It can come in a hue of Silver Gray that ranges from almost white, to an extremely dark Gray.

It's performance, and long lived popularity has over time made it subject to attempts by a few to have it dismissed as being ineffective, or even something bad being fostered upon those who mistakenly allow the posted results of so many others way their decision making process.

From the beginning we have always let the posted results of actual End Users be the judge, and the judgement is virtually unanimous. It works....as good as or better than Mfg Screens costing thousands.

It does require specific components, and some care in mixing and assemblage, and it's primarily a "Sprayed On" application due to it's use of copious amounts of reflective particles, but the act of spraying correctly, combined with the use of SF colorant / UPW as masking agents allows it to do exactly what it's claimed to do.

In truth, we / I seldom strive to justify it's use...so long has it been in use and under the scrutiny of so many DIY'ers who have gone that route. But at times, yes...posts like yours requesting an answer (explanation) require a restatement. How such is received, and what "bugs" are drawn out of the woodwork is the only thing that cannot be predicted. One thing is certain though...when I explain / defend SF, it's deemed by a few as being "promotion". A End User's positive report? Well such commentary is often patently ignored elsewhere. Go figure. smile.gif
No...we do not use the "Matte" anymore.

We are looking at available substitutions for the Rust-Oleum, but at present it is the only certifiable choice. but shopping around will find it for much less (1/2 bof that $63.00 ) at other sources. (Sears -Menards -Lowes)
Here it is at Menards for just $23.00 rolleyes.gif http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/crafts/decorative-finishes/rust-oleum-metallic-accents-white-pearl/p-1963176-c-8020.htm

Your Momma told you...ya gotta shop around. biggrin.gif
Yes...seeing that 122" diagonal equals a screen area of 107" x 60"

One very important thing to remember, you need to use what is suggested, follow the application methods to a "T"...and if uncertain about any aspect of the build...ask first....not after a issue arises.

MM the issue is I've never heard of menards before and they wont ship that and I'm sure as heck not about to drive 400 miles for it.. Why is it so hard to get? Lowes seems like they can order it but you need to buy two of them which is like $46 or so.. I plan to go with the silver fire I just need to get the rest of my supplies then I can get to the harder part.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

MM the issue is I've never heard of menards before and they wont ship that and I'm sure as heck not about to drive 400 miles for it.. Why is it so hard to get? Lowes seems like they can order it but you need to buy two of them which is like $46 or so.. I plan to go with the silver fire I just need to get the rest of my supplies then I can get to the harder part.

Well, get 2 then post up that you have one available for cost + shipping. At the price Lowes sells 'em, you won't have it for long.

Many Retail Web Outlets refrain from shipping any liquid. Others do so without hesitation.

I've shipped SF components and entire Mixes around the Planet, even to locations where Customs are absolutely draconian in nature. Never had an issue...ever. But then again, I take pains to label such as being water based Artist Screen paint....and pack it exceedingly well. That can...and does make a difference to any inspector.

I use USPS in the USA and for International shipments almost exclusively.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Well, get 2 then post up that you have one available for cost + shipping. At the price Lowes sells 'em, you won't have it for long.

Many Retail Web Outlets refrain from shipping any liquid. Others do so without hesitation.

I've shipped SF components and entire Mixes around the Planet, even to locations where Customs are absolutely draconian in nature. Never had an issue...ever. But then again, I take pains to label such as being water based Artist Screen paint....and pack it exceedingly well. That can...and does make a difference to any inspector.

I use USPS in the USA and for International shipments almost exclusively.

Well now that I'm awake I checked the lowes site again and nope they don't have white pearl, I must of looked at it wrong and thought Sterling Silver Metallic was it but it's not. Not sure if the local hardware stores around here have it but I guess it can't hurt to try.

*edit hmm odd.. if you do a google search of the white pearl it shows on the lowes page, but if you go to lowe's website and search it's not in the list.. It would not be ready for pickup until 9/10
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just noticed I think I'm going to need at least 4 more tubes of the silver liquitex? if that's the case I would of picked up the larger tube.

Ordered a 100cc syringe
Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

picked up the behr 1850 UWP and a 2 gal bucket.. I ended up ordering that paint mixer because I did not want to go to lowes and end up spending more since I have to go over a toll bridge ($5.00) I tried to find the paint strainer at home depot but all I saw was cheesecloth... but I have another HD to try. Rest of the stuff will come later bills come first smile.gif

btw I guess the only UWP 1850 you can get is the one with the primer added?