Bare wall, Frame or paint? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I was dead set on building a frame but I'm having 2nd thoughts now as I wait for my projector.. I'm trying to do 120" but I will know for sure when the projector gets here anyways the bare wall is a eggshell color (yuck) so I was trying to think what was best? light control will not be a problem as I made some BOC curtains for my own room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
We need more info:

PJ Model?
Room size?
Ceiling height at screen wall?
Condition of the surface of the screen wall?

Submit........and ye shall receive.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

We need more info:

PJ Model?
Room size?
Ceiling height at screen wall?
Condition of the surface of the screen wall?

Submit........and ye shall receive.

PJ Model? Infocus IN116
Room size? 9' x 14.7' x 7.5'
Ceiling height at screen wall? 7.5'
Condition of the surface of the screen wall? slight rough surface with some uneven levels on the wall.
post #4 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can easily do 120", and using Sintra, or a stretched Cloth, either painted with a Gray high contrast paint.

While you can make a screen that will help out your PJ's weaker points, (contrast primarily) you do not want to go so far as to make one that might detract from a future upgrade.

And knowing the IN116 as I do, you will be upgrading.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can easily do 120", and using Sintra, or a stretched Cloth, either painted with a Gray high contrast paint.

While you can make a screen that will help out your PJ's weaker points, (contrast primarily) you do not want to go so far as to make one that might detract from a future upgrade.

And knowing the IN116 as I do, you will be upgrading.

until I can get a 1080P projector for $450-600 the Infocus will suit me fine for now. I've never heard of Sintra until now, it seems expensive what about BOC with screen goo paint?
post #6 of 38 Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Its like this.

• The IN116 is a bright PJ with low contrast
  • Screen GOO is silly expensive, and to use it on a material like BOC will require more product than you'll receive in one Kit
  • For the price difference of Screen GOO and a good basic DIY paint, you could have a inexpensive 1080p unit with better specs. ($850.00)

If you already ordered that PJ, looks like your post came up a bit too late to really give you a "Best of case" option.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 38 Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got the projector for $160, why do people here always look down on members with lesser projectors? It's like if you don't have a Sony 4K projector you are not worth having a discussion here.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

I got the projector for $160, why do people here always look down on members with lesser projectors? It's like if you don't have a Sony 4K projector you are not worth having a discussion here.

Your being too sensitive, and besides, had you mentioned you got the thing for $160.00, well then there would not be much to discuss even considering the small difference between it's normal price and that of a low end 1080p.

Basically, you must accept the suggestions or responses based on your input, not what others know out of hand. Knowing PJ such as yours as we all do, we are going to have opinions and suggestions based on such....not guesses.

And it's pretty moot to compare what other members on DIY Screens use for PJs, with "ANY" 4K PJ. This isn't the "PJs over 3K" Forum. Also, you won't find a single member who would agree that any of us look down on anybody. Rather, we do try to explore all options available, and discussing or suggesting upgrades in equipment has everything to do with making viable and workable suggestions.

In the end, we have the capability and knowledge to help you to get the very most out of your set up without paying undue expense. How much attention and willingness to accept such advice that you are willing to contribute will tell the tale.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 38 Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So anyways what is your suggestion?
post #10 of 38 Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My suggestion is: go for a Sony 4k projector.

lol

Im just kidding.
SubaruB4 and megdagooch like this.
post #11 of 38 Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachmanowicz View Post

My suggestion is: go for a Sony 4k projector.

lol

Im just kidding.
lol I left that one wide open
post #12 of 38 Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So anyways what is your suggestion?

Sintra, and Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 sprayed.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #13 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only thing it seems from here Sintra is hard to locate? and more so in the size I need? Sintra is nothing but a hard Styrofoam right?
post #14 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 PM

Liked: 11
Subaru look up Laird plastics. I found sintra there before I decided to go with a different screen material. There is a location in Shelton, CT for laird plastics. ask for 6mm sintra/komatex. When I called the manager was somewhat hesitant to sell me any, but agreed on selling me one sheet at an unremembered price. You want the 6mm sheet. they come in sheets of 60x120"
SubaruB4 likes this.
post #15 of 38 Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousMushrm View Post

Subaru look up Laird plastics. I found sintra there before I decided to go with a different screen material. There is a location in Shelton, CT for laird plastics. ask for 6mm sintra/komatex. When I called the manager was somewhat hesitant to sell me any, but agreed on selling me one sheet at an unremembered price. You want the 6mm sheet. they come in sheets of 60x120"
I will check this out.. might be awhile.. So I think we have a Sintra topic here right? I'm curious about the mounting options.

I ended up getting the projector running but I might have a bad color wheel it only has 53 hours on the unit.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do they have a tread here about this Silver Fire? I don't see much on the 4.0 gain I'm not sure what is all needed.
post #17 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Do they have a tread here about this Silver Fire? I don't see much on the 4.0 gain I'm not sure what is all needed.

They sure do... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1311989/the-official-silver-fire-v-2-thread

Quite a lot of material in there, but the recipe is front page and has some info about sourcing the ingredients and preparing the mix. The "4.0" number refers to the color of the screen rather than the gain. The higher the number, the darker the screen, and the better the ambient light performance given a bright enough projector to light it up.
SubaruB4 likes this.
post #18 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I will check this out.. might be awhile.. So I think we have a Sintra topic here right? I'm curious about the mounting options.

I ended up getting the projector running but I might have a bad color wheel it only has 53 hours on the unit.

Mounting Sintra is pretty simple since it's such a light weight material. You can screw it into the wall around the borders and then cover the screws with a velvet wrapped frame, or even just use a water based adhesive spread evenly on the back side and stick it straight onto the wall. Those would be the simplest options, though we've seen some pretty cool and much more entailed ways of hanging it as we'll... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484121/my-led-backlit-zero-frame-project

Hope you get your projector issue sorted out without too much hassle!
SubaruB4 likes this.
post #19 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternitay View Post

They sure do... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1311989/the-official-silver-fire-v-2-thread

Quite a lot of material in there, but the recipe is front page and has some info about sourcing the ingredients and preparing the mix. The "4.0" number refers to the color of the screen rather than the gain. The higher the number, the darker the screen, and the better the ambient light performance given a bright enough projector to light it up.

Quote:

Mounting Sintra is pretty simple since it's such a light weight material. You can screw it into the wall around the borders and then cover the screws with a velvet wrapped frame, or even just use a water based adhesive spread evenly on the back side and stick it straight onto the wall. Those would be the simplest options, though we've seen some pretty cool and much more entailed ways of hanging it as we'll... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484121/my-led-backlit-zero-frame-project

Hope you get your projector issue sorted out without too much hassle!

I'm trying to figure out the price I assume something like 120" is going to be near $200? This Silver Screen seems like it's good and so far i got 15 hours of watching stuff on the projector I will give it 3 weeks to call it good to go without issues, I guess the optical sensor on the color wheel was going bad.
post #20 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 PM

It will definitely cost more than your projector! smile.gif Sounds like you got some of the Behr Silver Screen paint? The gray will definitely help with the black levels, may be all you really need if its working for you so far.. Unless you meant something else when you said silver screen?
post #21 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah I figured it would be over $200 given some of the prices I was looking around for like 6 sheets, I don't have anything yet.. I've heard so many crazy things to try like the behr Silver Screen... or the Behr UWP, when I said silver screen I meant silver fire.
post #22 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 PM

Ah gotcha. The sintra is going to be the most expensive part of the equation for sure, and you can save the extra $$ if you feel up to getting some joint compound and mudding your screen area to a flat surface. Takes some effort though. I haven't seen anyone who regretted going with the silver fire mix, which apparently works best with a white substrate like sintra, but if you decide to go the cheaper route you could always mud over your wall and use a gray paint (I'd stick to gray for your projector)... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1036112/in-search-of-neutral-gray-wall-paints
post #23 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah gotcha. The sintra is going to be the most expensive part of the equation for sure, and you can save the extra $$ if you feel up to getting some joint compound and mudding your screen area to a flat surface. Takes some effort though. I haven't seen anyone who regretted going with the silver fire mix, which apparently works best with a white substrate like sintra, but if you decide to go the cheaper route you could always mud over your wall and use a gray paint (I'd stick to gray for your projector)... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1036112/in-search-of-neutral-gray-wall-paints
Why can't you use it over BOC? I haven't seen anyone talk about that with that mix.
post #24 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 PM

It's been done before so I don't see any reason why you couldn't. From what I've read it's a bit more difficult to do, and you lose the benefits gained from a bright white surface underneath which does affect the picture quality. Now that you mention it though, there has been a lot of talk recently about using Carl's flexiwhite screen material for painting silver fire on, which I'm sure would be much more cost effective and still give you the white backing that helps the screen "pop".
SubaruB4 likes this.
post #25 of 38 Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will have to check that out later today then
post #26 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Liked: 13
I used the sintra and SIlverfire 3.0oz... and there is nothing special about sintra being used... You could use anything and paint over it and acheive the same results with the silverfire... The benefit of the sintra is that it is perfectly smooth and can be ordered in sheets larger than 4x8. If you wanted to stay under 100", you could use any flat material from Home Depot, but would be limited to a 98" screen.

I simply glued the sintra to the wall using water based adhesive and that was it. I actually looked into using BOC, but determined it would be a lot more hassle and would cost about the same. By the time I bought the material and the frame, and hardware, put it all together, stretched, stapled, etc.. I could just buy the sintra, and glue it to the wall. SO much simpler. However, if you have a smooth and flat wall, just paint the drywall. When i painted my screen I had overspray that went onto the surrounding areas of drywall (im painting over it so i didnt bother covering) and the performance of the projector on those oversprayed areas is just as good as on the sintra.
post #27 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't think 120" of BOC + building the frame would cost the same as a 120" sintra sheet, also my wall is not flat.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

reading on another site it seems silver fire has a habit of hot spotting a lot.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

reading on another site it seems silver fire has a habit of hot spotting a lot.

It seems that 'ol propaganda machine has snared another innocent DIY'er.

Your certainly not the first, nor will you be the last while Silver Fire continues to rack up the number of successfully completed screen projects it does.....continually.

You cannot go by the biased, contradictory statements made by those whose sole purpose is to dissuade any / everyone they can from using one of the most tried, tested in "real life"...and now copied DIY mixes there is. Their false and misleading statements have been going on for several years now.....and if they were in any way even remotely true, do you think SF would still be at the top of people's lists? No...we stand only as tall as the posted end results of those who actually make full sized Screens, not the results offered by those who use tiny samples, and methods that intentional skew results to illustrate what they want to have people believe. The very fact that so many other individuals and their posted end results disagree with what they espouse, and how they go about it trying to mislead others, tells the real story. And should you or anyone ever care to dare to disagree with their ideas and statements....well let's just say that your slated for a quick and summary demise.

Bluntly put, if the Mods and the "Administrator" didn't post, there would be almost no traffic or interest in what's going on at all.

You can read a great many testimonials on AVS alluding to the successes members have had with Silver Fire, (...see link below...) but "over there" you only read such negative stuff from 3-4 individuals, all of whom either do not, or are not allowed to post on this Forum because of repeated inappropriate and/or demeaning actions. They have their own method of doing things, using Aluminum instead of Mica-based reflective elements, and they do so because to do otherwise would be to blatantly admit that what we do, and how we do it has always been the better choice...one with more potential, adjust-ability, and far more performance related results.

They'd rather eat dirt .

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1360471/silver-fire-end-user-roll-call-please-give-your-testomonials-and-opinions

It's really all about how well received SF apps are, and how little attention "other" under achieving applications get.

In any case, it's your call....but choose wisely, and base the choice on what the majority has to say...not a tiny minority with an agenda to drive traffic away from AVS.

Sub note:
While this response might seem a bit over the top...even histrionic, it needs to be stated every once and awhile because the effort "over there" never ceases...and if even one such individual such as yourself gets swayed unjustly...that's just sad.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #30 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess you must know what site I'm talking about then... which had me thinking.. what's the difference from the silver fire and the black widow?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page