Benq W1070 and wall paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Due to the logistic of my room and because it's not a stable location for me, I'm considering to use my Benq to project on the wall. My wall is now painted very dark gray and the projection is already fine, because the pj is very bright, the screen is relativerly small (~100'') and the distance is more or less 3-3,5 meters (with a white screen I think I'd use a ND2 filter)

What if I'll color the projection area light gray leaving the dark gray as a frame? Is it normal conventional paint already good? Any product and/or european site where to buy paint to suggest? I saw the grey paints thread in the FAQs but there are a lot of greys and I don't understand which one could be the most suitable for my specific situation. I think a need a ~0.8 gain wall with the nits I have.

Specific paints are a bit expensive (as a good screen), are they far better? In the case, do you have some advice also for this alternative?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 13
From what you are describing, any flat neutral gray paint would work. If you truly do want just an .8 gain screen, then I would just pick a neutral grey flat and use that. You might want to trim it with a frame of black felt as a border, but other than that it should work just fine. Fore me, I use the BenQ w1070 with a 120" screen, I wanted a higher gain gray screen for use in ambient light, so I went with the silverfire 2.5 3.0oz paint mix that you can find in this DIY forum. Performance in a dark room was better ( more WOW ) with the bare white sintra that I painted it on, but the gray silverfire definitely outperforms in ambient light , which is the reason I chose it.

If .8 is all you really want or need, then don't waste your time with fancy mixes, Just spend a little money on a grey paint and your done.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyville View Post

From what you are describing, any flat neutral gray paint would work. If you truly do want just an .8 gain screen, then I would just pick a neutral grey flat and use that. You might want to trim it with a frame of black felt as a border, but other than that it should work just fine. Fore me, I use the BenQ w1070 with a 120" screen, I wanted a higher gain gray screen for use in ambient light, so I went with the silverfire 2.5 3.0oz paint mix that you can find in this DIY forum. Performance in a dark room was better ( more WOW ) with the bare white sintra that I painted it on, but the gray silverfire definitely outperforms in ambient light , which is the reason I chose it.

If .8 is all you really want or need, then don't waste your time with fancy mixes, Just spend a little money on a grey paint and your done.

Firstly thank you!!! Well I would say that my room is quite dark, because is a bedroom with thick curtains (on one side I have a balcony). So I'll go with a neutral flat grey paint, because I don't think I need more gain than .8. For a neutral flat gray do you mean roughly a ~200,200,200 RGB, right?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfienero View Post

Firstly thank you!!! Well I would say that my room is quite dark, because is a bedroom with thick curtains (on one side I have a balcony). So I'll go with a neutral flat grey paint, because I don't think I need more gain than .8. For a neutral flat gray do you mean roughly a ~200,200,200 RGB, right?

I am not an expert on paint colors, but I believe that is correct.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here's a good older thread about neutral gray paint that might help you find the color you need:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1036112/in-search-of-neutral-gray-wall-paints

You also may want to consider mixing the paint with some minwax polycrylic satin like some of the posters in that thread mentioned to slightly enhance the the viewing characteristics.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page