Highest gain white paint mixture??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know we discuss about high gain in the grey screen area but what would be the highest gain, white paint mixture one could have?? Not sure if taking just the behr UPW and mixing it with some Liquitex white paint or something along those lines would give you a screen that would POP with awesome whites. Ideas????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Having second thoughts on the S-I-L-V-E-R screen, narhic_fd?? :P

Liquitex has had some issues with hot spotting from what I've read in the past, a problem you'll run into with high gain screens in general it seems, however there used to be some people who would recommend mixing paint with minwax polycrylic in a 1:3 up to 1:1 ration of paint to polycrylic to add a bit extra pop to the picture, though whether it would actually add any performance benefits I have no clue..
post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Liked: 24
A higher gain white screen would simply make the picture brighter. It would not do anything to improve your perceived contrast or help the screen from looking washed out with ambient light.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternitay View Post

Having second thoughts on the S-I-L-V-E-R screen, narhic_fd?? :P

Liquitex has had some issues with hot spotting from what I've read in the past, a problem you'll run into with high gain screens in general it seems, however there used to be some people who would recommend mixing paint with minwax polycrylic in a 1:3 up to 1:1 ration of paint to polycrylic to add a bit extra pop to the picture, though whether it would actually add any performance benefits I have no clue..

I haven't actually sprayed the s-i-l-v-e-r yet. I'm just getting some input for future projects. I'm actually hopeful that s-i-l-v-e-r will meet what I'm looking for.
I choose s-i-l-v-e-r because it seemed to be the mixture that would handle keeping as much gain as possible when it comes to the Whites. I have a 3D projector and maintaining white is important since when you switch the projector to 3D mode, the brightness drops about 20% I believe. It's a slippery slope for 3D projector owners because you want the contrast enhancement of the darker color but you don't want to crush your whites to much since they give a measure of brightness and those whites are important to keeping the image as bright as possible when you turn on 3D mode. Not to mention the darkening effect of the shutter glasses as well.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
20%? If only.

More like 40%.........minimum.

You let us know what PJ you find that delivers only a 20% drop in lumen output going into 3D mode.

We all want one! eek.gif

PS,
The upcoming Epson 2030 is promising a far less drastic drop in brightness in 3D mode...but even so it ain't limited to just 20%

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 6 Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

20%? If only.

More like 40%.........minimum.

You let us know what PJ you find that delivers only a 20% drop in lumen output going into 3D mode.

We all want one! eek.gif

PS,
The upcoming Epson 2030 is promising a far less drastic drop in brightness in 3D mode...but even so it ain't limited to just 20%

I have the New ViewSonic PJD5533W that was released this year. I cost $500 and has a contrast ratio of 15000:1, 2800 lumans and native resolution of 1280x800. Here's the link to the amazon sale of the item:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5533W-Projector-1280x800-Resolution/dp/B00511ITEM

It's a nice projector for what i paid for it. It looses far less lumans then my previous pjd6211 vga only 3d which lost almost 60% when in 3D mode. Now, I do have the pjd5533w projector hooked up to my PC which tends to give me the brightness picture vs when hooked up to something else and switching to 3D mode when hooked to my pc does seem to loss almost 40% but maybe less. I'm not sure the reason i get a brighter picture when hooked up to my pc, then i do, when i have it hooked up to a 3D blue ray player, xbox 360 or some other DVD player . when i hooked it up to my brothers 360 to play some 3D games the initial image wasn't as bright as my pc would do and when i did turn it into 3D mode it was a far less noticeable drop in lumans because of this. If you are buying this to hook up straight to a blue ray player, or some video game device once you turn 3D mode on it will only seem to give a 20% loss in lumans to your perception, maybe little less, not sure vs if it was hooked into your pc.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page