Creating a permanent screen for the backyard theater. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to be using a 16'x12' tarp with bungee cords attached to whatever the frame is made of. What I'm wondering is what should I make the frame of? I want the screen to be 5' from the ground so there are a few things I've considered. Steel pipe concreted into the ground with braided steel cable attached at the top and to the ground for wind resistance. I've also considered using a 4x4x20 wood post concreted into the ground and then put luoun or some thin wood painted white over it to make my screen. I really would like to keep costs below $250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Hey there! Welcome to the DIY Screen Forum and a reality check!

Below $250.00? I suggest you use the side of a Barn then. Either the Lumber or "Steel" Metal Framework and Cordage will eat up over 60% of that budget, before material, Grommets, Bungee Cord Clips.

Constructing a 17' high x 16' wide Frame that can support both the required Tension, the weight of the Material itself, and the stresses imparted by Wind is not an easy task, nor one that can be hedged upon as far as it's design and structural rigidity..

Off the Cuff....I'd suggest a Wood Post, Metal (Aluminum) Cross Bar- w/Vertical Center Supports.
www.carfolet.com has a complete 16' x 9' Free Standing "KIT" for $289.00 (...less Tubing...)
http://www.carlofet.com/projector-screen-kits-fittings-and-accessories/freestanding-movie-screen-kits.html

Review the cost of the individual components, sans any framing structure, and you'll see why I used the term "reality check".

One suggestion though....if you use a slightly stretchable material like the Flexi-White on Carl's Site, it's degree of tension (...the lack needed...) required to get a wrinkle-free surface will allow for the use of a less massively rigid frame. Also, they can install Grommets for you. Simply put, the ability to "easily" put up / take down the screen material will make the whole project either a joy or a royal PITA.

You don't state what PJ you plan / hope to employ, but be advised that the type material you chose will go far toward dictating how much lumen output you'll need. Even in the dead of night. The suggested Flexi-White has a significant increase in Gain from Black Out Cloth, and will have a much better image than any common Tarpaulin material. Of course, if you already have that Tarp, and it's in your mind to build what amounts to a Football Goal-like Frame, then at least the links below will help you source some of the needed materials.

A good suggestion? Go here and read...READ...READ! http://www.avsforum.com/f/159/outdoor-theaters

Also: http://www.backyardtheater.com/forums/

Then do it up right.

Good Luck....and don't spill anything stronger than 100 proof on the Lawn...it'll kill the grass. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your detailed reply! I am going to be using an Epson Powerlite 83c which the specs say are rated at 2200 lumens. I've already had it up against my house for approx a 14' screen and it showed up okay at dusk and really good at night.
Quote:
Below $250.00? I suggest you use the side of a Barn then. Either the Lumber or "Steel" Metal Framework and Cordage will eat up over 60% of that budget, before material, Grommets, Bungee Cord Clips.
I guess I was just hoping to do it for around that price. I don't have anything big enough to put the screen up on, but I do have a large backyard.
Quote:
Off the Cuff....I'd suggest a Wood Post, Metal (Aluminum) Cross Bar- w/Vertical Center Supports.
www.carfolet.com has a complete 16' x 9' Free Standing "KIT" for $289.00 (...less Tubing...)
http://www.carlofet.com/projector-screen-kits-fittings-and-accessories/freestanding-movie-screen-kits.html
They have a very nice screen and frame, but it looks more portable than permanent to me.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I've came up with another idea. Build a permanent frame and then select a material for the screen. At the bottom loop it back around and sew it and add a steel pipe for weight. Then come up with a pulley and crank system. Or use something similar to what's on a flag pole.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-31-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Over thinking it......., keep it practical and simple

Tension is needed, and attachment at all points is the only way you'll achieve a surface that will be...and remain Flat.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page