I've been putting together a screen from sheet rock, started a short thread earlier asking about the gain of Killz2. Now for a little more info and an update.
I have a "daylight" basement with no windows so it can be made as dark as I want. Original idea was to have a tiki bar (moved back from Hawaii) and I wanted to put a decent sized TV (65-70, maybe a hair larger) on one end. The second or third place I went looking had a salesman who said "have you considered a projector?", I basically looked at him like he was nuts. A day or two later I decided to look into projectors just for kicks and found there's a ton of people who are thrilled with theirs, and a lot of home theater reviewers recommending it as the way to go. That piqued my interest, at some point I found this forum.
After a bit of research I settled on an Epson 5020. Really tempted with the 6020 but figured an anamorphic lens is a bit of a pocketbook hit and I can deal with a replacement bulb later. I set it up in the basement and projected it on the bare concrete wall, and WOW... Nemo was huge! ... And didn't look half bad. I ordered my speakers, while picking up a receiver at Costco, and cried for 5 days not having any sound. Speakers came, Nemo could talk, and I just had to see what it would look like on something "better". I went out and bought a couple sets of king sheets at a discount house since we'd just moved and didn't have spares, stapled 'em up and WOW AGAIN. At that point I moved the projector back to where it's minimum projection would reach ceiling to top of center channel just for kicks, thinking I'd start "big" then move it closer until it was "right". Turns out big is right. At least for now, in a pitch black basement.
Well, the sheets were acceptable for me, despite the waves in the picture, the bright slashes where the sheets overlapped, and the odd distant look some objects had with all of the shadowing (or something, can't explain it readily). I decided to go ahead and try as big as possible, as easily as possible. Figured 3 sheets of sheet rock, hung vertically, cut to 81 inches would give me a roughly 16X9 screen (I had originally wanted to go with the laminate option and do a 12' by 5' screen and mask when in 16X9).
The toughest part of the whole thing so far was drilling pilot holes in the concrete for the boards to mount the sheet rock on. Some holes were relatively easy, some were crazy difficult. The sheet rock went up in no time between my wife and I. At that point I waited a couple of days. The sheet rock alone looked better than the sheets, which were an improvement on the bare concrete, which wowed me. After mudding the drywall and getting two coats of Killz2 on it, I'm giving myself a break to decide how to proceed with painting.... (to be continued)