Need opinions as I re-do my tiny little living room theater. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Here is where the screen will go, mounted between these two windows. It's actually larger than the space, but the windows will have shades and are rarely used. Two bookshelf speakers sit in front of them. The walls are being covered with black wallpaper. At first I thought it was going to look crazy, but it actually makes the room seem a lot classier. Still have a ways to go, though. I am papering over the speaker wires, etc.

Here is the rear of the room, where the projector sits on a cheap shelf. I've ordered a ceiling mount and will be moving it closer to the screen. The distance between the projector and the screen is now roughly 14'6". I'm thinking about putting it at least a couple feet closer, unless that is a bad idea.

Here you can see the entire room, with the screen resting against the back couch. Lots of windows in the way... they will all be covered with spring-loaded shades and the majority of the furniture will be removed. It's a small room, yes, and the screen placement isn't exactly ideal. but it gets fairly cozy and you forget all about it when the movie starts.

So my plan is to have the room papered and wired and everything in the next few days. Once I get the shades installed and the projector hung, I plan on starting a new screen. The current one is OK, but I'm thinking about something a little darker to really go over the edge with my black levels. Currently the screen is a Silver Fire 3.0, but hopefully I can go darker than that if I bump the projector closer. The bulb is a couple hundred hours overdue, but the screen still lights up like a champ. I'm losing shadow detail to compensate, though, and my thought was that with more fL and a darker screen, I'll be able to correct a lot of that. A new bulb will help, too, I imagine. I have one ready, but was going to hold off installing it while this current one still goes strong.

So... what would you suggest? I'm thinking the biggest I want to go is 122", with more realistic plans closer to 110". The projector is a Panasonic 4000, which isn't a light cannon, obviously, but the amount of pop the 3.0 screen puts out makes me hope that I could darken it up without sacrificing much. Am I way off base?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Nope. Move the PJ in closer...to within 6" of minimum throw for a 110" screen, (...I suggest 11' 5" ) and go up to SF v2.5 4.0
SF v2.5 5.0 at the very most.

If you decide to go SF v2.5 5.0 I would NOT wait on changing the lamp, but rather do it now, and keep the still serviceable lamp for any emergency.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page