Attempting to spray SF v2.5 4.0 onto my blackout cloth screen. Need help with spray technique - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've finally made it to the point of spraying my screen.http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471180/so-much-information-its-mind-boggling-planning-diy-swing-down-aluminum-screen-w-epson-8350#post_23458961

I just did a first "duster" coat onto my screen and am not sure if this is what it should look like. I thought I had the viscosity down when straining through the sock strainer, but maybe I'm not there yet?

I'm using the Gracco no name sprayer with a 1.5mm tip. I am trying to pace myself at about 5-6 seconds across each way and overlapping.

And I guess while I'm here, I can show off my room a bit more. I just finished putting up the wall sconces last Sunday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i do like you approach of not trying to do too much with each duster coat...

and that's just fine for a first duster coat... especially if you were doing a first duster of a mirror or acrylic substrate.

but... since you doing blackout cloth you can slow up your passes a little bit and just get more coverage per coat... as in slightly heavier dusters.

or you can do about 12-15 those dusters. smile.gif

love, the theater. ...as my jealousy sets in.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 216
A good representation of a typically well done Duster. Spotty looking....yet showing distinct amounts of paint.

Slow and easy is the key, using multiple Dusters, but as PB stated, you can slow down your transit across the Screen a bit....just a bit mind you....

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 5 Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys for your tips, it really helped out last night.

I worked on painting this guy until about 2:30AM last night and now I can finally test it! I'm definitely liking the pop I'm getting off the colors. Things are a bit "shimmery" and that is a little different from watching the plain BOC.

Image of the screen consistency. Seems a bit orange peel like. Is this pretty normal?

I have a couple issues right now though. There are a couple "bands" going horizontally across the screen which are pretty easy to spot while watching content. I've read somewhere that sanding lightly and redusting it could help in this situation, but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do here. I imagine this happened due to the creases the screen had when it was shipped and I thought I had gone back over the screen well enough to pull all these out, but apparently it wasn't good enough?

I'll try to get some comparison shots with some plain BOC vs. the SF screen, but for now I can only get photos off my iPhone onto my computer.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-08-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Banding means you see a shift in color and or reflectivity, and is almost always due to improper overlapping of rows when painting.

Orange peel results from too heavily applied coats, and coats following each other too soon. Also, too heavily applied coats that do not overlap enough (65-70%) serves to really accentuate "Banding".

If the material is pulled taunt, then give it at least two rounds of light sanding, using long sweeping strokes that....overlap at the edges. Then apply two very light Dusters with the required 70% overlap and you should be back to where you need / deserve to be.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page