New Install Paint Suggestions - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will do, I'll take look in a few days and see if I see anything. I can't thank you enough for all the help. I ended up going with the SF v2.5 5.5 mix, I decided not to add the ND filter though, and I'm going to see how it works out without it. I'll get some more pics this evening cause it look spectacular at night. Also I'll take some more if I end up doing another top layer coating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 10-06-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i gotta agree with MM here... those are some most excellent real world ambient light pics i've seen.
can't believe you took the dive and went with 5.5. congrats. cool.gif
post #33 of 50 Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVGamer View Post

Will do, I'll take look in a few days and see if I see anything. I can't thank you enough for all the help. I ended up going with the SF v2.5 5.5 mix, I decided not to add the ND filter though, and I'm going to see how it works out without it. I'll get some more pics this evening cause it look spectacular at night. Also I'll take some more if I end up doing another top layer coating.

Prefaceing the Evening's Reveal, with the selection of the 5.5 version (ounces of colorant ) DMVGamer has allowed through choice for his screen's surface to enhance the contrast inherent in his PJ, something that usually gets the short shrift when lumen / Fls jump.

The balance between room - PJ - screen is all important. Although it's a rather oversimplified example, the ability to choose virtually any needed "balance" by selectively matching the screen / PJ / room and there you are.

The darker versions of Silver Fire thrive on PJs with an abundance of lumen output, ( 2800 to 4500 ) and contrast levels of 15 - 50,000:1

At this point, qualities such as texture, both surface and paint induced,( ie: grain, sparkles ) viewing cone, and color balance "before" calibration (Ambient light perfformance was a given wink.gif )are the most valuable "reviewed" subjects I await to hear about.

No doubts, mind you..... I just like hearing about them. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #34 of 50 Old 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

So it's has been less than 24 hrs since completion and all is going well so far. I'll do a thorough review next week once it has time to set but so far no complaints. I put some pics below with the black-out shades drawn and lights off for reference, also from a few angles.

Texture looks great so far, being that I was a newbie at this, and I'm a bit particular about how I do things I used the following process:

1) Skim coated wall with lightweight drywall compound, thinned and rolled on with a 3/4" nap roller, then used a 12" taping knife to remove.
2) Light sanding if the dried compound with 220 grit.
3) Thinned out some 123 Bullseye with 3oz water per quart and sprayed 3 coats, sanded, spray an additional coat, sanded
4) Mixed SF v2.5 5.5 mix and loaded into HV2900 sprayer. Applied 4 duster coats in a cross hatch pattern (coat 1 horizontal, coat 2 vertical, 3 horizontal, 4 vertical). Let stand 30 minutes between coats with oscillating fan running on the wall.
5) Applied 4 main coats in the same cross-hatch pattern. Let stand 1 hr in between coats with oscillating fan on wall.

Straight on paint looks great, you can see the slightest of texture with a light shining at EXTREME angles (flashlight almost parallel with the wall) In the first hour last coat was a bit tacky and still had some shine which let to some hotspots. As it dried those disappears, haven't notice and issue with picture as of yet. Viewing angle isn't even an issue (as you can see from the pics below). I'll update this thread with some pictures of the final texture, night pics, pics with the Darbee and 1 week update as I progress.

Projector Specs:
Brightness 3000 ANSI
Contrast (Full On/Off) 3000:1
Native 1920x1080

Set at approx 15' throw
120" Screen
Running from PC through HDMI to Denon AV1312 through HDMI to Projector (if you want the specs for that just let me know)
Display set on User 2 only adjust contrast up a bit and brightness down a bit, will go through full setup at a later date.

Pictures:

post #35 of 50 Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm all a'twitter for ya!

There are always a few people who discount the need for, or even the validity of Silver Fire....but in the end, results like you have shown both silence such comments (...you just don't see 'em come around saying "That isn't really happening!") and wholly justify the relatively small amount of extra effort and expense required to obtain "Black Diamond / DNP-like results for veritably "pennies on the dollar".

One thing you can do to validate things just a wee bit more is to post up a couple shots of the screen with no image, one in high ambient light and one in controlled lower ambient light. Such images will show how dark the surface is in low light, yet how it lightens up to a degree in higher levels of ambient light.

It is just that quality of controlled reflectivity that allows it to both improve on-screen contrast and combat the effects of ambient light, without reducing the quality and appearance of Whites and Colors.

BTW, please go here and officially weigh in with your results / opinions when you feel ready to do so.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1360471/silver-fire-end-user-roll-call-please-give-your-testomonials-and-opinions

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #36 of 50 Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Will do, it is a gloomy-rainy day out here in the mid-atlantic today so when the sun returns I'll open everything up and get some pics and then some in low lights of just the screen as well. I'll also way in on the other thread later today as well. I must say, while I'm pretty handy with tools and have built alot of things I was a little hesitant at first having not done much painting, but it all went together really easily. With a bit of attention to detail, reviewing some online videos, and some patience I was surprised at how smoothly it all went.. Added bonus that the expense of the whole kit and kaboodle was hands down less than any of the other options I explored.
post #37 of 50 Old 10-17-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ok FINALLY back in town for a while, so despite my hesitations, I'm going to sand my gorgeous screen and give it a couple more coats in hope of final perfection. BTW the wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to go at that thing with sandpaper, LOL, however I assured her that MM hasn't steered me wrong yet so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt smile.gif Also crown molding is in and cut waiting to be felt wrapped and mounted once the screen is dry. More pictures to come.
post #38 of 50 Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Looks great! Out of curiosity, why are you sanding & painting the screen? It looks gorgeous... Is there some issue?
post #39 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 01:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

I myself haven't heard of one....but I'm guessing that some degree of surface texture is apparent.

A smoothing of the surface via light but through sanding can effectively remove any trace of "Goose Bumps" (aka: slight orange peal )

I myself am in the midst of doing just that on my SF v2.5 4.0145"er here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491489/another-2-35-1-silver-fire-on-drywall-project-taking-off. I had rolled on a Primer coat after having had to fill in some blemishes, and sadly....because I though using a 1/4" nap Finish roller carefully was sufficient, I had surface texture bleed through, making the paint highlight such as a "Grainy effect"

No way I was going to let that slide!

And so far....it's a Night & Day difference, with the original looking great, yet the re-do looking fabulous!

I don't reccomend using Sand Papper though, as it seldom allows for as large and evenly applied footprint as the Large Sanding Sponges one can acquire in the Drywall tools Dept at Home Depot.

BTW....I started out using a Fine Grit Sanding sponge, but was not getting the "action / smoothing" I wanted ( Sponge kept loading up with the Poly/Paint residue )
I switched back to a Medium Grit, applied a slight amount more pressure, and "Bam"! Great results! Just be sure to knock off the collected residue against something hard every couple minutes, lest the collective build up prevent effective smoothing / removal.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #40 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Also crown molding is in and cut waiting to be felt wrapped and mounted once the screen is dry. More pictures to come.

Felt?

Not Black Velvet?

Wrapping trim with Felt I am putting it around such a tremendous screen..... why that would be like going to a formal affair in a great looking Tux, but deciding to wear flip flops.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #41 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

So the only reason I choose felt was it had no reflective finish to it, most of the velvets I looked at had a slight sheen too them which I assumed was no wanted. However if velvet is the way to go I'll pick some up.

As MM stated there was a slight amount of surface texture that I'm going to try and get rid of. I'm using a drywall hand sander with fine grit, however was running into the same issue with load up, I'm going to pick up some medium grit and give that a run. Also in between I take a damp rag and give it a wipe down to remove residue. So I'll see how it all goes, thanks for the input on using the heavier grit sandpaper (do you know what actual grit number it was?)
post #42 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Use a Dry Cloth....not a damp one, a good "Wipe / Dusting" is all that is needed.

And go get the 3" x 9" Medium Grit Sanding Sponge at Home Depot in the Drywall Tools Dept (...not Paints...) It's large footprint and ease of cleaning by simply giving it a hard tap makes it on the order of Light Years better than any Sand paper on a Hand Block.

This Velvet is the best performing and best value by a stretch: http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Plush-Triple-Velvet/Black-Plush-Triple-Velvet/681/264

Well worth the need to order and ship it in.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #43 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Gotcha I'll check out the sanding sponge, but I was actually referring to one of these:
3M Hand Sander

I use that for drywall and it works great, then I can just switch out sheets as I need to. If the sponge is better though I'll give it a try.

Also I'll check out the velvet, there is a fabric store with response prices not far from my house, and since I'm inpatient I may grab couple of yards from there smile.gif
post #44 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

So I had a minor freak-out as I sanded and put on the first coat and I thought it was too thick and would orange peel, but leaving it and allowing it to properly dry left a REALLY nice slick surface. I applied one duster coat after, I'll let it dry overnight and we'll see how it looks in the morning. I was hesitant at first but I can already tell I'm glad I went for the smoother surface.
post #45 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Also I'll check out the velvet, there is a fabric store with response prices not far from my house, and since I'm inpatient I may grab couple of yards from there smile.gif

I seriously doubt you will find the right type of Velvet for the price of Sy's even when shipping is factored in.

And be advised that unless your screen size is under 72" wide, 2 yards isn't going to get'ter dun.

3 Yards for up to 110" diagonal....4 yards for 120". If you use 3.25" trim, then factor in an additional 7" length minimum beyond your screen's actual width.

ie: 120" diagonal = 107" wide + 7" = 114" .......... 3 yards = 9' (108")

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #46 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Was able to get this stuff with a 50% off coupon, seems to be the same percentage acetate to nylon and picked up 4 yards. Hopefully it will work out just as well:

http://www.joann.com/royalty-3-velvet/xprd728568.html#prefn1=isProject&q=velvet&prefv1=false&start=4

Wrapped it around some crown molding and it looks great, getting it up tomorrow probably so I'll have pictures then. Used some 3M spray adhesive and it went on without a hitch.
post #47 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

All done, turned out really nice, although I had a slight issue getting everything to line up, but in the end I think it all went well. I'll put up alot more pictures once I get the computer back together and can project an image on it, but here is it with the surround mounted. I later used a punch to drive in the finishing nails, and they aren't visible anymore. For a first time DIY project, I'm please.

post #48 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am "please" too.

wink.gifcool.gif

Really though....that screen looks "epic" in size on that wall. And very well done, I feel compelled to add. smile.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #49 of 50 Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

LOL, thank you, that means alot coming from you. And thanks for all the help along the way.
post #50 of 50 Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Looking for an updated report here w/more pics.

Please !

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page