New Install Paint Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first attempt at something like this, I've been doing some reading and researching but want to confirm what I'm thinking before I dive into it. First some details:

Projector:
Vivitek D950HD
3200 Lumens
approx 15' throw distance
Screen size 120" 16:9 ratio

Environment:
Basement, controlled lighting
Two walkout doors that can be blacked out
Drywall with White paint throughout, recessed lighting
Projector Ceiling Mounted

I want have a paint that I can roll onto the wall with 1/4" nap roller and I think that the Glidden Diamond 450, Titanium White or the RS-MaxxMudd LL is what I should be going with but want to confirm. I'm still a bit new at this, so I figured I would post he before getting started, Also is there anything else I need to consider before really getting into this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 PM

I have a similar setup and I love the Max Contrast Screen Goo
post #3 of 50 Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVGamer View Post

This is my first attempt at something like this, I've been doing some reading and researching but want to confirm what I'm thinking before I dive into it. First some details:

Projector:
Vivitek D950HD
3200 Lumens
approx 15' throw distance
Screen size 120" 16:9 ratio

Environment:
Basement, controlled lighting
Two walkout doors that can be blacked out
Drywall with White paint throughout, recessed lighting
Projector Ceiling Mounted

I want have a paint that I can roll onto the wall with 1/4" nap roller and I think that the Glidden Diamond 450, Titanium White or the RS-MaxxMudd LL is what I should be going with but want to confirm. I'm still a bit new at this, so I figured I would post he before getting started, Also is there anything else I need to consider before really getting into this? Thanks

I'm a big fan of the Diamond 450, but white is not the way for you to go. Way too bright for your screen size & PJ, and your room is not dark enough for a white screen. (White walls...) You could get it tinted to "Veil" a nice neutral gray, that would be at least as good as the Goo, probably much better and certainly cheaper. With your PJ you might even consider going with a much darker gray. The PJ you have isn't a home theater PJ, it's more of a presentation PJ. 35 db is quite loud and the contrast is pretty low. You'll need all the help you can get with a dark gray to get a decent picture out of it. Goo just won't cut it. Also, consider building a "Hush Box" to tame the sound level.
post #4 of 50 Old 09-20-2013, 03:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 213
He can easily tame that beast, and also maintain better whites and improve Contrast by using a ND-Filter and a moderately Gray mix. Going dark Gray for the benefits offered by a Flat Gray alone is simply robbing Brightness and Whiteness to achieve blacker blacks. The only real choice to avoid all that is as to if he wants the color / contrast advantages that a reflective mix offers.

Silver Fire allows for a far darker "Silver Gray" surface without undue loss of gain...and with the PJ in question...as with other similar units, I use a SF v2.5 5.0 mix

But Kirnak is as right as he can be. A 120"er hit with 3200 lumen needs to have the light attenuated....but it needs to be done as it exits the PJ....not squashed out of existence by attenuation on the screen surface.

Last year at this time I highlighted a SF v2.5 4.0[/B application sprayed onto a 106" Tab Tensioned screen. The PJ used was a Viewsonic PJD 6683ws w/3000 lumens

DMVGamer, overview the results (...and ignore the few rants...) and you'll see that the combination you have can...and will work if you use the right "DIY" paint.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 50 Old 09-20-2013, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

can you send me more info on the ND filter needed, also can I roll SF v 2.5? thanks for all the info from everyone.
post #6 of 50 Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

can you send me more info on the ND filter needed, also can I roll SF v 2.5? thanks for all the info from everyone.

I'll find a "Set" for you asap....but................

http://www.adorama.com/TF77DNDK.html?gclid=COfS7vKx2rkCFQJqMgodUgMAmw

The ND linked above is a 3 Filter Set (...for the price of one from most Vendors...w/free shipping as well...) so you can do some preferential testing.

But you should use a metric measurement ruler to check the mm width of your PJ's lens before you order anything. The one listed above is 77mm

Here is a larger Filter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffen-82mm-Digital-HT-Neutral-Density-ND-0-6-ND4-Filter-Authorized-Dealer-/380613821880?

It is only a 0.6 value, but my guess is that will be sufficient for your needs.

Lastly, there are "Infinitely Variable ND Filters....and although they cost a bit more, they provide "Dial In" performance, so there is no "That's too little....Oh Crap....that's too much" kind of occurrences.

http://www.filmtools.com/tiffen-variable-nd-77mm-filter.html?gclid=CJaxxqy02rkCFexDMgodD10AbQ

Spraying is a snap really...and very inexpensive with the following Gun / Needle Combo.

http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BG6DIM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NWLOWWF5G7JX

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 50 Old 09-20-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, didn't realize they were the same ones i use for photography, i'll see if any of the ones i have fit. I'll google some spray tutorials but I had never tried it before and wasn't going to make the investment, but that is reasonable enough. Thanks again!
post #8 of 50 Old 09-21-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

MM, does the entire 100mL of water go into the colorant mix? I saw it said for cleaning utensils and was a bit confused. Thanks
post #9 of 50 Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

MM, does the entire 100mL of water go into the colorant mix? I saw it said for cleaning utensils and was a bit confused. Thanks

Yes. It is used incrementally to clean the utensils, but obviously the material cleaned (along with the water) needs to be included in the mix.

Confused? Don't feel bad....that particular aspect is among the most questioned.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 50 Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

In reading through the thread you referenced my hopes are high for this build. Got all the paint today just waiting for spray gun to come in, any last minute tips for spraying? Also I noticed you using the darbee processor, would that be of any benefit with the projector I have?
post #11 of 50 Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

It would be very difficult if not impossible to find a PJ the Darbee could not "help". Used correctly...it's that good. cool.gif

As for "tips"....

• Make sure the Mix is right...and do not start spraying until your sure. Also be certain you have the right viscosity (...lack thereof actually...) Viscosity measured via flow-thru rate when straining is best to ascertain that.
  • Practice on a smooth, clean surface. A primed & sanded sheet of Drywall is a very inexpensive way to do that...and well worth it considering the substrate you eventually are going to be spraying onto.
  • Spray multiple very light, fast coats from 14" away, with 70% overlap. Let each coat dry (30 minutes minimum) and use a CLEAN Fan set to medium and placed at 8' in front of the screen to hasten / assure drying.
  • Look at how I secured the screen, and masked it off. You should try your best to stabilize the screen so it does not wobble with the gun's applied air pressure. Really, that's not a huge concern, but best allowed for anyway.
  • Use "Frog Tape" along the screen's border with the Black surround. When removing it, be "very" gentle, and pull the tape off "away" from the painted screen area.
  • Expect to apply at least 7 to 8 Duster coats...the very last one being at about 1 second per foot slower than the 3' per second speed used on all subsequent coats.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #12 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Again thanks for the info, are there any videos displaying the recommended viscosity of the final product? Just curious. I'll let you know how the process goes.
post #13 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

I'm applying to a clean painted wall, there shouldn't have to be any other prep to that should it?
post #14 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm applying to a clean painted wall, there shouldn't have to be any other prep to that should it?

Sorry...I thought by referencing the thread you did you were planning to spray onto a Retractable Screen. redface.gif

If the wall is white....and very smooth...yeah...little prep is needed. But if not, white is pretty much essential as a background for the SF family of paints so as to optimize performance by avoiding attenuation due to absorption.

If you tape off a border area about 2" larger on all sides than your selected screen size, you can spray apply 3 quick coats of a White Primer, sand lightly, and get going from there.

PS...just about every "Screen Build" thread i have posted has Videos of both straining and Spraying. Go here for a complete list of Threads and review.
http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch/?advanced=1&sort=lastupdate&order=descending&type=35&createdbyuserid[]=50111

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, yeah wall it white and smooth, so I should be in good shape. Thanks.
post #16 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Will probably give it a few coats of primer and sanding all the same though.
post #17 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Will probably give it a few coats of primer and sanding all the same though.

Let the last coat of Primer get absolutely dry before sanding. Sand using light, broad sweeping strokes. Your wanting to "smooth"...not "remove".

Myself, I'd apply 3 coats, sand.... 1 more coat, then one last sanding for a ultra smooth surface.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #18 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

How many coats of SF do you apply with 1.5mm needle on drywall?
post #19 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Based on this review the lumens are lower than advertised, do you still recommend the same SF mix?

http://projectors.reviewed.com/content/vivitek-d950hd-video-projector-review/blacks-and-whites
post #20 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

After reading some of your other threads, I think i want to skim mud it first then i'll prime, does that seem reasonable. Thanks for answering my barrage of questions.
post #21 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

After reading some of your other threads, I think i want to skim mud it first then i'll prime, does that seem reasonable. Thanks for answering my barrage of questions.

A very light skim and sand assures that any hard to see pits and cracks get filled. If you skim and then scrape firmly keeping the Blade at a slight angle, anyplace that needed 'filling" suddenly pops right out.

In truth it's better to go to that trouble early on, than to prime...hide those blemishes from being seen easily, and then have them suddenly appear after a first or second coat of contrast enhancing paint.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #22 of 50 Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Just found the stash of videos, answered alot of questions for me smile.gif
post #23 of 50 Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yay......you go Guy.

Me...I'm takin' a night off.......my 5th Grandchild is knocking at his mother's door, and is expected to make his first appearance before Morning.

I'm due into Denver next Thursday to see him.....gonna be great!

Post Note 4 hours later:

He's amongst us!

8 lb -21.5" Redhead

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #24 of 50 Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Liked: 11
Congratulation. I have two red head children too. smile.gif
post #25 of 50 Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rengep View Post

Congratulation. I have two red head children too. smile.gif

You? Go figure......being of Viking heritage and all. tongue.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

Personally, I have always had a fetish for Redheads.........

"........but that doesn't mean we'll be sharing a warm shower in the wee hours of the morning. "
-- Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge
rengep likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #26 of 50 Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hey congrats, I'm trying to get these projects done before my first arrives in Jan.
post #27 of 50 Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hey congrats, I'm trying to get these projects done before my first arrives in Jan.

Thank you.

I'm enjoying lots of Q-time, and taking a CaCa load of pictures. No shots of CaCa though.

This little Dude has Forearms and hands like Popeye!

.....and my Nose...but that won't hold him back any. tongue.gif
superleo likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #28 of 50 Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

"Spray booth" put up, skimg coat completed, and primer completed and sanded. Here are a few pics of the parts that I bought and the current progress. Will be spraying screen tonight, let me know if there is anything that looks out of place (sorry for the camera phone pics, I'll get the DSLR out later and take some better picture)

The room:

Wall Masked Off:

Products used:

Texture After Primer:

Looking forward to getting some paint on tonight and the border (velvet wrapped molding) tomorrow.
post #29 of 50 Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

And here is the finished product. Many thanks to MM for all the help on this, really turned out spectacular. Photos taken at 8:00am, no curtains up from double door next to projector, 6 recessed lights on in the back of the room. Front lights off. Nothing has been calibrated yet and the framing (4" molding wrapped in felt) should go up in the next week or so as I get time. Also coming is a Darbee Cobalt that is only bound to make things better. Video is a random hi-res youtube video.

I can only imagine how this will look once it sets for a couple of weeks.
post #30 of 50 Old 10-06-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

That screen has excellent prospects! If you have any mix left over, after 2 days carefully examine every inch for any excessive spray-induced texture. If noted, and since your "Booth "looks to be a pretty easy one to re-establish due to the Fur Down, a very light "sweep sanding" and 2 more very light Dusters with 70% overlap will give you final perfection. BTW...what level of Colorant did you add?

Congratulations! Your now in the select company of those who chose to spend pennies to the dollar t0 achieve results few others experience.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page