AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Strange things are happening to my posts... eek.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The picture says it all. Except that I expect to have Drywall up on the Screen wall by next Wednesday, and the Screen painted before a week from this coming Monday.

This is the dedicated Theater for this year's VESTA Home Show...and you can be sure I'm glad not to have to deal with having a Window behind the screen!
(....in fact...the Wall I just framed up covers the only window... biggrin.gif )

Stay tuned for images, videos, and more....... cool.gif

Post Script:

In the hurry I was this AM I forgot to make note that the Screen substrate will be Drywall, and the entire Screen area will consist of a single 54" x 11' piece of Drywall w/no seams. The sheet will be hung in the ideal position, and the remaining pieces fit around it.

I love it when I get my way. biggrin.gif It doesn't happen as often as I would prefer. redface.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 95 Old 10-01-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

More images showing the work accomplished so far:

Tactiles Installed and Cellulose Insulation firmly packed into Riser

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #4 of 95 Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A lot has happened:

A image showing the "Screen Wall" work accomplished so far:

The wall received a coating of "First Coat"....that is a thin slurry of Drywall Compound and Primer applied with a Commercial-type Airless Sprayer.

Afterward, a sanding...and another normal Primer Coat...

Ok...I took some time off to go to Denver, but the returned from my "Grandson Reveal" and made some definite progress...........
  1. Temporarily hang the Panny 8000 to plot out the maximum Screen size and position
  2. Taped off the chosen screen perimeter and sanded down the dual-primed surface to a ultra smooth state
  3. Determine "pass-thru" routing for 2 - 10 meter RGB LED Lighting Strips to be installed at the Knee Wall, Slope Ceiling junction

I have a quick snapshot below of my chosen Theater Chair, Carpet, Wall & Ceiling Colors. The need to have at least some flow-through continuity with the earth-toned Rec Room
adjacent to the Home Theater dictated the choices made.

.............and, just because I'm a Glutton for self-flagellation through excessive work load, I have made arrangements to receive a spool of 1mm Fiber Optic Cable so that I can rush and install a 8' x 8' 300+ "Points of Light" Star Field w/2 Shooting Stars <50 additional "POL"> (...see Template layout below...)

I gotta lotta bending over in an attic to deal with now!eek.gif

Fiber Optic Line Installation this Thursday

RGB Lighting on Order....due on Thursday

Oh Pee-shaw! mad.gif

Went by to tape off the Screen perimeter, and mask the adjoining areas....................,

.............only to find under 500 watts of illumination and close scrutiny a poorly filled and sanded "Joint"....................,

..soooooo......, out came the 20 Minute Quick Set Mud.............,

And so another case in point as to why a careful "pre - paint" look under bright light is essential in determining as to if there are imperfection on the wall that will jump out and bite'cha once you start applying a High Contrast / High Gain coating.

So now I must face re-painting the screen.................... rolleyes.gif

.......and I did....only then:

..........Three coats on.....looking good, but sadly, after hanging the Panny to do a screen-size check on the primer, I discovered that the PJ's Red LCD Panel was completely knocked out of alignment, resulting in a broad red smear across the bottom of the screen ( pics will follow later )

No problemo though...my Buds at Projector People will have a new one winging toward me pronto.......

I also will have 3 Videos of the painting process, and I'm taking a Optoma TH1020 back with me so I can at least have something to splash a decent image onto the freshly painted screen.

Post Script:
I did manage to install the Power ventilation for the A/V Cabinet, just before they Drywalled it in:

I proceeded to apply the first 3 coats of Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 using the latest "revised" rendition (Martha Stewart Polished Silver Metallic & Rustoleum Matt Polyurethane)

All seemed so right with the world as a whole..............then:

Oh the horror. eek.gif

When I returned and viewed the dried 3 coats, the contrast enhancing "attribute" of the paint revealed some serious blemishes.

These areas needed Drywall Compound, and re-priming...so to be certain I would not have any bleed-thru using the semi-translucent SF paint, I had to primer over the entire screen.

In the bottom left image.........you can see how much different the 3-coated, un-primed area looks.

So yesterday...having returned to inspect the two new Primer Coats (rolled 'em on this time, BTW...) I started over again.....

Early AM Update. (2:00)

3 coats up over Primer re-do

Mixing:

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/MississippiMaurice/media/PaintingPainting%20Videos/0012_zps25b88f25.mp4.html

Straining:

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/MississippiMaurice/media/PaintingPainting%20Videos/0022_zpsd3e9b596.mp4.html

1st Coat going up:

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/MississippiMaurice/media/PaintingPainting%20Videos/0033_zpsb656ced9.mp4.html

Note:
I was so bushed, and yet in such a hurry, I forgot to put my Respirator Mask on before I began. Not wise, so don't follow my example. I held my breath 95% of the time, yet 3 hours later I still had the taste of Silver Fire in my mouth.

3rd Coat going up:

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/MississippiMaurice/media/PaintingPainting%20Videos/0041_zpsc7a70f3e.mp4.html

In the last Video, I adjusted the pressure at the Gun downward a bit to allow for a finer mist, so that allowed me to slow my sideways progression to 2' per second.

On my way back to apply the last two coats, so an additional edit to this post will be forthcoming..

In the last Video, I adjusted the pressure at the Gun downward a bit to allow for a finer mist, so that allowed me to slow my sideways progression to 2' per second.

What is not shown is the immediate use of a Pole Fan to hasten dry times.

On my way back to apply the last two coats, so an additional edit to this post will be forthcoming..

...........and here it is.....

4th Coat

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/MississippiMaurice/media/Coat4_zpsa4c216ef.mp4.html

5th and final Coat

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/MississippiMaurice/media/coat5_zps1a8e9441.mp4.html

Using a Pole Fan to hasten dry times. Usually 30 minutes is all that is needed. However the Fan must start out clean...with no Dust Bunnies on or around the Blades. Using such an elevated fan allow one to avoid sucking dust up off the floor, as well as positioning it at just the right angle.

The end result.......

Plastic comes down this AM, then I'll post a cleaner shot.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #5 of 95 Old 10-16-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The screen after Plastic has been removed.

I "might"be able to manage a few shots on the screen this evening using the Optoma TH1020, before I cover the screen up in a Plastic Veener.

Most probably............... wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #6 of 95 Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i'm seeing a lot of reflectivity and gain potential. seems to me you could have gone a few shades darker.. ie SF 4 or 5.0 ...
post #7 of 95 Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

i'm seeing a lot of reflectivity and gain potential. seems to me you could have gone a few shades darker.. ie SF 4 or 5.0 ...

The example shown is in fact Silver Fire v2.5 4.0.

At the proposed 145" diagonal this screen is going to be, I felt that the 4.0 version was as dark as I needed to go...or should in fact go, even with the Panny's 2400 lumen output.

The use of the Martha Stewart Polished Silver Metallic results in a darker shade than when the Liqutex variety was used, yet reflectivity is most definitely enhanced because of the size (smaller) and finer quality of the reflective Mica contained within. Such also disallows the graininess that would usually be present in such a dark, yet highly reflective mix.
But all the more, the switch over to the Rustoleum Brand matte version of Polyurethane is an added advantage that helps keep any potential for hot spotting in check.

The photo shown was taken with my 500 watt Halogen pointed 140 degrees opposite to the screen, with only the reflected light off the extreme left rear corner (18' distant) of the room reaching the surface. Without such extreme illumination, under normal ambient light, the screen looks 2x as dark.

That then is the best thing about Silver Fire v2.5 in any of it's configurations, but especially this 4.0 example . It has the depth of color to augment contrast to a great extent, therein also combating the effects of ambient light, while the inherent gain serves to retain the dynamic colors and brilliant whites.

In this instance, the envelope is being pushed....not far enough for concern, but far enough to show the potential. When the room's colors are up, and controlled lighting is employed, I have no feeling of compunction or worries about expecting a spectacular image.

Heading out sometime after midnight to shoot a few images and then cover the screen up for the hole drilling / installation of the Star Field and the upcoming room painting.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 95 Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here are four Collages of images. Some show the image projected past the Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 screen onto the White Primed Wall, so as to exhibit both the deepen of blacks, and the preservation of the colors / whites. I used a Optoma TH1020 with 1900+ hours on the Lamp too. rolleyes.gif

(...Note the marked lack of any significant loss of Viewing Cone in the Uruha images above...)

While there is bound to be an obvious degree of attenuation in white levels, the perceived level of the whites retained is more obvious than the level of Black reduction would seem to indicate possible. When viewed with the deeper black levels, whites retain a vibrancy that bespeaks of the gain of the screen allowing such. While some might question such as being possible, it is the intention of using embedded Mica (Silver & Pearlesence) that is only partially masked by the White Paint that constitutes only 10 oz within a 1 Gallon Mix.

In truth, the Gray Shade is about 75% due to the hue of the Silver Metallic, with the balance owning to the addition of 4 oz. of the RGBY Colorant.

Now all that being said, I must relate that I have decided to sand the surface once again and apply another 2 coats. This because my previous repairs, where I decided to "Roll" on the Primer using a 1/4" Nap "Best Quality" Roller Cover, had left a barely noticeable degree of surface texture that came through the last 2 coats of SF I applied. Such is the extreme degree of both Contrast enhancement and Gain that any degree of surface texture just jumps out.

Would many notice? Moist likely not given the quality of the image. But such things are exactly what I look for, and having become accustomed to using perfectly smooth substrates, the degree of surface texture I could see from 10' away during bright, lightly colored scenes was simple unacceptable. I sanded the screen with a medium Grit Sanding Sponge before I left to go get my paint gear...(...everyone looking at the screen said I was nuts... redface.gif ) and upon my return it will get another light sanding with a Fine Grit Sponge.

So yep....I'm on my way back in the next few minutes to redo this thing again. I expect it to be even Mo 'Bedder. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #9 of 95 Old 10-18-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Screen ReDo is complete....and greatly successful. For these last two Finish Coats, I switched over to using a 1.0 mm Needle in the Graco 2, and absolutely it resulted in a finer degree of Mist / and resulting Texture.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #10 of 95 Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Fiber Optic Star Field Template is up, and all holes are drilled.

Tried to employ the Wifey to do some Drilling using the tiny 1mm Drill Bit while I was in the Attiv marking the holes to differentiate between Milky Way Starts and Constellation Stars.... rolleyes.gif. She managed about 60 holes and blew through 2 of the 3 Bits I had to work with. eek.gif

I sent her home...with a kiss, and finished the rest ....all "320" of 'em without a mishap. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 95 Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

i sure hope she doesn't read avsforum. wink.gif
post #12 of 95 Old 10-20-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

She will, on the very day the Sun rises in the West. tongue.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #13 of 95 Old 10-21-2013, 04:19 AM

Liked: 11
That screen is looking good MississippiMan. The ceiling with fiber optic stars is giving me some ideas, but for now they will just stay as ideas lol.
post #14 of 95 Old 10-21-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatee View Post

That screen is looking good MississippiMan. The ceiling with fiber optic stars is giving me some ideas, but for now they will just stay as ideas lol.

That's perfectly OK............,

If the only Stars anyone sees are the ones twinkling in your eyes over the image you have on your screen, then that will be enough. wink.gif

...........but ya know, there exists on AVS a particular fellow that can paint luminous Star Fields that charge up using Black Light Fluorescent Tube. All in all the costs are about equal, but of course there is no back-breaking, eye straining work involved.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #15 of 95 Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

3 days later.............and the Fibers are almost done. Seems I almost busted a lower Rib, just sitting at my Dining Room Table and bending over the side of my Chair's arm rest to pick up something I dropped.

I over extended my reach....and "POP!" Crazy....and let me tell ya, laying out and / or bending over in a Attic for several hours with a severe ache in my side and having shortened breaths isn't productive to getting much done.

On another, more agreeable note, the replacement Panny 8K has arrived, so I can stop mopping my brow...at least a little bit until I actually get the critter re-hung and tested out this coming Monday.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 95 Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, the Fiber Optic Ceiling is done.

OK...roughed in would be more correct.

It took a "all nighter"......and two Sam Adams Octoberfests.........

Sleep.....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #17 of 95 Old 10-25-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

dude is completely backwards... mississippi backwoods that is...
he likes to sleep during the day and work (and drink) all night.
post #18 of 95 Old 10-25-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Young adults, not to call them teenagers -- that's the way they function eek.gif

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #19 of 95 Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

On a more related note... The room is looking GOOOOOOOOD!!!!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #20 of 95 Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Working 7 hours straight yesterday evening I finally finished up the Star Field, by installing two banks of Shooting Stars...and labeling each point of light numerically while sitting perched across 16" O.C. joists. Revisited the pain in my side all the rest of the night into this morning. The worst is yet to come....sitting for several hours up there again threading several hundred individual 1 mm fibers into the drilled out Star Matrix Plate then melting them into place. Honestly. I am having a hard time kicking myself hard enough for even suggesting this thingee to the Builder. Like Lipo, it all sounded so good....until the pain...the PAIN!

Room get's painted out on Monday....PJ up again on Tuesday (...prayers appreciated...) Screen Trim and Chairs & Equipment before Thursday.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #21 of 95 Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....the room is being painted....!

Did I mention "the room is being painted...."biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #22 of 95 Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I would guess that the projector is next? Did you fired it up yet? When is the room going to be painted? tongue.gif Never mind, just saw the post above!!! biggrin.gif

post #23 of 95 Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I would have had it up in the air today, but the Painter was remiss in his method of removing the painter's masking tape along the juncture of the Ceiling Tray and sloped ceiling, and pulled several sizable (..as in 7-8 ! ) spots of paint right off the wall.

You would think that a pro painter would realize you don't just tug Tape off a freshly painted surface, you pull it off at a angle that goes away from the painted edge. Also, when applying tape to another surface recently painted, you only press on the edge of the tape, not the entire width of it...especially if it's 2" wide tape your using. Journeyman Idiots. mad.gif

Perhaps later this afternoon or evening.

BTW...KILLER Demo discs! You can be certain the Screen shots coming will be from the content provided! cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #24 of 95 Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to see the screen in action, and thank you for the complement... Also, there are 2 clips that are NOT scope, but I left them anyways. Avatar and Pacific Rim. Avatar on the first page and Pacific Rim on the second page.

Now get the painters to get out of the room so you can take over. smile.gif

post #25 of 95 Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I won't go near the place until late this afternoon....I don't want to even see them ( Painters ) lest I go all "Mississippi" on 'em mad.gif

But I "WILL" have some shots by early am to post...count on it.....

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #26 of 95 Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

WelI.....I did go by, and the damage was fixed, but they had also painted all the Trim with a heavy coat of Satin Enamel, so I deemed it wise to not try to work around it until the AM, lest I smudge it.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #27 of 95 Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

mad.gif

(No words needed)

post #28 of 95 Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

he's workin' against the clock...
i haven't heard a peep out of him today.
post #29 of 95 Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

he's workin' against the clock...
i haven't heard a peep out of him today.

Attic
Fiber
Tiny Holes
Pain
Hours
Sore
No Sleep
Time
Attic
Projector
Attic
Fiber
More Tiny Holes
Hours
Pain ( I.T.A. )

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #30 of 95 Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Home after a "All Nighter".

1/2 The Fibers installed in the matrix.Room is completely painted out...spent 2 hours cleaning it up.
Panny 8000 is well hung...all straight and level.

Going back this afternoon early to complete Fiber Optic Matrix / Illuminator installation, and test PJ / Screen combo. w/DVD loaded w/ 2.40:1 content

But first I'm going to get stiff and straight, and level....on my couch.

Pictures tonight...absolutely.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page